Define the word PARRAFO in law - URGENT

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
What would be the definition of the word PARRAFO (Paragraph) in DR Laws. How does the paragraph affect the Article that it follows?

I would need this ASAP ...gracias

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I asked like 3 lawyers...a friend even looked in her study books and could not find anything. Even on the internet I can't find anything.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would say that simply "paragraph" is fine, but it would be good to have confirmation from Fabio on this one.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
What I need to know is the meaning of the word in laws. It always follows an article and I also want to know is how it affects the article. Yes would love to hear from Fabio.

Jan 17, 2009
As far as I know, each Article is comprised by paragraphs. So you have Article 1, paragraph 1, paragraph 2, etc. Unnumbered paragraphs could exist, such as paragraph 1 has two typed paragraphs but the second has no number--both are part of paragraph 1.

Ah, and each Article has a title. Paragraphs I don't think they are titled.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
In Dominican legislative texts, the terms “article” and “paragraph” are more or less equivalent to the American terms “section” and “subsection”. See, for example, the following text of the Constitution.

Article 149. The Judicial Branch. Justice is dispensed free of charge, in the name of the Republic, by the Judicial Branch. The operation of the Judicial Branch is vested in a Supreme Court of Justice and in the other courts created by this Constitution and the law.

Paragraph I. The judicial function consists of dispensing justice in private or public conflicts between individuals or legal entities in any kind of action, and rendering decisions and enforcing such decisions. The judicial function is exercised by the courts established by law. The Judicial Branch is self-governing and has administrative and budgetary autonomy.

Paragraph II. The courts shall exercise only the duties granted to them under the Constitution and the law.

Paragraph III. Any decision issued by a court may be appealed to a higher court, subject to the conditions and exceptions established by law.

When the article has only one subsection, the "paragraph" is not numbered, as in the folloiwng example from the Constitution:

Article 94. Invitation to Inform Congress. The houses of Congress and their standing and special committees may request ministers, deputy ministers, directors and other officials of the Administration, or any other individual or legal entity, to provide pertinent information on issues under discussion in Congress.

Paragraph. The refusal by the persons summoned to appear or to provide the required information shall be punished by the criminal courts of the Dominican Republic with the penalty established by statutes in force for contempt of public authorities, at the request of the house that issued the summons.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Dominican legislative texts, the terms “article” and “paragraph” are more or less equivalent to the American terms “section” and “subsection”.

Good to know - I'll definitely apply this knowledge next time I have to translate a contract.