Things manufactured in the DR

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Wanted to start a thread to see if anyone knew of some cool things manufactured in the DR..

My example is that Reebok women's products are manufactured at the zona franca in La Vega. The biggest factory in La Vega is a clothing manufacturer called Land's End, there was a big hoopla about them moving production to the DR. Anyone else know some name brand products manufactured here?

Nov 25, 2008
Old news, in the FZ all the major brands: Levi's, Land's End, Polo, Men's Warehouse, Gap, they all do business in the D.R. NOT in the volume of the 80/90's but they do business here.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Most of the textile industry that took place in the free trade zones has disappeared when the law on free zones was changed, they moved to Mexico among other countries.

I was surprised to see how the Free Zone in Santiago has about 75% closed businesses.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Wanted to start a thread to see if anyone knew of some cool things manufactured in the DR..

My example is that Reebok women's products are manufactured at the zona franca in La Vega. The biggest factory in La Vega is a clothing manufacturer called Land's End, there was a big hoopla about them moving production to the DR. Anyone else know some name brand products manufactured here?

I buy stuff fomr Lands End all the itme and did not know that they were here.. all the ones i bought have been made in China.

I did write to JJ JILL which is my other favorite.. asking for more capped sleeves and that they consider moving their operation here.. IPS – DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: Model Factory Enshrines Workers’ Rights | Inter Press Service

i think that both lands end and jj jill customers would pay more for sweat free. I know I would.

Timberlands? MADE here? Did not think that there was much of a shoe industry. I know that they have a store now in Blue Mall. Do you know where they are made.

The free trade zone in Pedernales just sorts and ships used clothing.

at least that is what they say they do.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Timberland is made in the Pisano Free Trade Zone, just to the West of Santiago.

HB.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am told shoe making is BIG business here... I'm wearing a pair tagged
"Made in the Dominican Republic"

Branded Peter Millar a golf/leisure wear maker

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Inovation

Shoes used to be big here, but not like they used to be.

I was operations manager at Timberland for 5 years, and before that, with Brooks running shoes for about 12 years. (San Pedro)

A lot of shoe companies have flown the coop.

I also had operations at Power One (power supplies) in Las Americas for 9 years.

Lets talk about some normal stuff. There is an old man here that built a home made lathe. He makes from old used truck and tractor tires. Rubber grommets for front end steering and grommets for other parts of old cars. This old boy does very good for himself.
I once had to drill a hole in a roofing beam that was 2 feet thick. Could not find a drill long enough. One of the guys took an old piece of re bar and with a chzzel split the end and i then put in my drill. Worked little hard but got the job done.
Ever watch them weave the top of homemade chairs. They do it by holding the fibers with their toes and twist them into a form of rope fiber with their hands. Then weave them on to the chair.
Ever watch them use a wood saw. They turn the saw backwards and saw away from them. Seems like it works well.
Once had an old man who was an expert stone breaker. He made his own pick and i never saw a store bought one that would do the job. He did it with his own invention.
Ever see a compo woman kill a chicken. They grab the chicken as it walks by. By the head and then swing it around couple times and let it then bleed out on the ground. Less messy than an ax.
My wife told me about an idea that her grand father had for a business. In the time of The Chivo you could not come into the city if you had no shoes on. That was a very strict law then. So he got some old shoes and when someone wanted to go into the city he would rent them for the trip. They always returned them! Seems like people were more honest then.
Lets see if you can come up with some good ideas!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominican children show a great deal of ingenuity and passion in making toys. kids here do not have much, some may eat once a day and sleep on the floor. but they sure have imagination and heart that helps them create their own toys: kites from old trash bags, cars from empty bottles and juice cartons...

2uscpll.jpg

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
dominican children show a great deal of ingenuity and passion in making toys. kids here do not have much, some may eat once a day and sleep on the floor. but they sure have imagination and heart that helps them create their own toys: kites from old trash bags, cars from empty bottles and juice cartons...

I think this would be good skill for many kids and parents from developed countries to learn - make your own toys. American kids and adults are losing a lot by being able to buy everything already prepared from a store, and just to follow the instructions provided with a package. Not ever trying to build anything by yourself impairs independence, imagination and creativity. :(

I bought a couple of very nice T-Shirts in the US - "Made in the Dominican Republic." But I have never seen anything else sold in stores with the same trademark.