Banks in DR - Is this NORMAL?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We have several accounts with BPD, a Peso account in my name (opened w/ verifying my passport, referencias, etc.) a Peso and a Dollar account in my (Dominican) wife's name. For transfer reasons I need a Dollar account in my name now and what they do? Despite having all this on file and collected from me tey want me to bring by all the paperwork again to open another account! Well, minus verifying my passport again... But how stupid are they? 15 years and counting but DR surprises me everytime anew with some crap like that!

To become "Beneficiario" in my wife's $ account I would have to do the same paperwork too of course!

Only good thing is wire transfers are in 1 or 2 days in my account...

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
wow 1 or 2 days for a wire transfer.....it took all of 21 days for me with a lot of complaining to both the originating bank as well as Dr bank.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
That is why I am reluctant to leave that bank despite all the BS there...

wow 1 or 2 days for a wire transfer.....it took all of 21 days for me with a lot of complaining to both the originating bank as well as Dr bank.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't doubt anything when it comes to DR banks. I once had a loan with BPD, which I paid promptly...a couple of months later I decided to take out another loan. They made do all the paperwork again from scratch...waited, waited, waited...two months later they come back and tell me they now have a policy to not loan money to foreigners (never mind that I'm a Dominican and had previously had a large loan with them), and since I had applied using my US passport I was considered a foreigner. It pi$$ed me off so bad I took all my money out of my accounts at BPD and now do all my business at another bank.

Oh and I did get that loan at a much lower rate at my new bank...so it actually worked out in my favor.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I think I just should be happy that they get it at least to handle my wire transfers that fast and leave it like that. But I want to receive my money in Dollars not in Pesos!

BL would allow us to open an "y/o" USD account with my wife's Cedula and my Passport, but they charge too much for maintenance etc for their USD account...

No idea how easy/complicated it would be with BHD or BR? Any input somebody?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
A couple of years ago - we were advised by the Manager at Banco Santa Cruz that we should switch our account from a peso account with "ATM card" to a peso account sin ATM card. Would save a few pesos in monthly service charges, as we never used the card on the account. Good idea....... then had to do all the paperwork again INCLUDING THE BANK CALLING ALL THE REFERENCES AGAIN. go figure

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think I just should be happy that they get it at least to handle my wire transfers that fast and leave it like that. But I want to receive my money in Dollars not in Pesos!

BL would allow us to open an "y/o" USD account with my wife's Cedula and my Passport, but they charge too much for maintenance etc for their USD account...

No idea how easy/complicated it would be with BHD or BR? Any input somebody?

I* have a dollar account at BanReservas ... do not remember the fee for wire transfers because it came out more that cashing a check at my casa de cambio. But most branches of BR have really long line around the first and the fifteenth of the month...

the one in Diamond Mall was the most courteous and uncrowded.

They gave me a Visa Debit with my dollar account and I gave it to my nephew to try to use it in the USA and it did not wrk.

but the money is there.. you always have to withdraw with your passport

I used BReservas for years since there is one in almost every town.

Often, in Pedernales, there would be no money in the atm machine and I would have to stay over til Monday to get money out of the bank directly.. Used to travel with both bank books. peso and dollar, just in case.