where would I sharpen a machete in sosua

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
anyone know where it would be best to take a machete to be sharpened.....I just bought a new one and discovered its as sharp as baseball bat

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i would think a butcher could give you some advice. i would try the playero supermercado...

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
There is a machine shop just next to the publico stand - the ones going to Rio San Juan.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In the future if you want to sharpen it yourself, A common "local" method is to use a rock or a handy concrete surface. :rambo: The next most popular local method is to use a file purchased from a hardware store. A third method is to have a bench grinder which is my preferred approach to the problem.

deepdiver

Jun 18, 2011
would it not be easier to buy a stone from the ferreteria and do it at home it only takes 3 mins

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
the machete appears to be rather thick where the blade should be , i think it would take me a while with a rock, its about 3 millimetres thick instead of being bevelled- I should have looked before I bought but presumed it would be sharp like the last one I bought

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Buy a file and find a Haitian. Give file and "col?n" to Haitian and tell him Fe Vit...and when he finishes give a 100 pesos!!
usually the job done with a wheel is not a good as one done with a file.

HB

Remember the difference between "machete" and "col?n" in Dominican-speak.
Machete is the wide bladed working, planting instrument and "col?n" is what we usually call a machete, the long bladed tool.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
a file is the proper sharpening instrument. The bench grinder would be an advantage for quickly putting the first bevel into the blank blade, but the file will do the trick. stones not necessary or desired... you're going to chop with it, not shave.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Buy a file and find a Haitian. Give file and "col?n" to Haitian and tell him Fe Vit...and when he finishes give a 100 pesos!!
usually the job done with a wheel is not a good as one done with a file.

HB

Remember the difference between "machete" and "col?n" in Dominican-speak.
Machete is the wide bladed working, planting instrument and "col?n" is what we usually call a machete, the long bladed tool.

100 pesos?? jesus, he'll probably marry you for that!

but thanks for the machete lesson. I knew that there was another word but couldnt remember it

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
In the future if you want to sharpen it yourself, A common "local" method is to use a rock or a handy concrete surface. :rambo: The next most popular local method is to use a file purchased from a hardware store. A third method is to have a bench grinder which is my preferred approach to the problem.

Any of these three methods just makes me feel like seeing a kitten being abused. Ouch!

It is interesting that people who use machetes for work on daily basis use such barbaric methods to sharpen them, when we have been told our whole lives that one needs to proceed by using progressively finer stones to put on a sharp edge on blades, and to hone them properly, etc.

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
by the way thank you retiree - used the place you suggested it was 50 pesos to have colin sharpened, interesting little shop full of broken things