Anyone had dengue more than once?

rubia1981

Jul 11, 2011
Has anyone had dengue more than once? If so, what was your experience 2nd and 3rd time round? I had it for the first time a couple of months ago, and was floored for weeks, hospitalised etc. I have been told if I contract one of the other 3 strains of dengue the illness will be 10/20 times more serious next time around!

May 29, 2006
I knew a guy who had it three times while living the Pacific Islands and he said it was just as bad each time.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I've had dengue twice - first time was pretty bad, but I was able to stay at home with a suero. I just had it again in December and was pretty sick, but nothing worse than the first time around

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i used to work with a guy who had dengue few times. he used it as an excuse to lie on his back while a string of his dominican novias bounced up and down his sausage. and i am not even kidding. he had a fever but no other symptoms to speak of.
on the other hand miesposo's aunt died of dengue few years ago. she never had it before...

i think that young females are more prone to complications. so indeed, next time around visit a doctor as soon as you see first signs...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My now 10 year old daughter had "Dengue" twice.
She was hospitalized both times.
The only way to diagnose "Dengue" is by blood test. NOT by, "I have a fever, and feel bad"!
When your platelets keep falling day-by-day, you have "Dengue".
When/If, they start to recover, you will too.
If you, or a family member, have Dengue symptoms, get to a hospital, get the necessary blood tests, and go from there.
If you choose home treatment, and have Dengue, your platelets may drop to the "Bleeding" level, and it could be too late to save you! :dead::dead::dead:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I went through very bad flu two times last year. Both same symptoms. First one on April and second one on late december. Some said it was dangue and some said it was just regular dominican flu. Funny thing is back in state I had colds but flu only 4-5 times in my entirelife and all those was not nearly bad as "Dominican flu". Next time when I get that "flu" again this year I am going to get the blood testing done to make sure what I had.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
i used to work with a guy who had dengue few times. he used it as an excuse to lie on his back while a string of his dominican novias bounced up and down his sausage. and i am not even kidding. he had a fever but no other symptoms to speak of.
on the other hand miesposo's aunt died of dengue few years ago. she never had it before...

i think that young females are more prone to complications. so indeed, next time around visit a doctor as soon as you see first signs...

Seems an odd cure to relieve the symptoms, maybe that's why he didn't have further complications, worth remembering for future use. When I suffered from dengue, I couldn't even raise my eyebrow let alone anything else !

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
When I suffered from dengue, I couldn't even raise my eyebrow let alone anything else !

Same here, I remember thinking I was possibly going to die, quite scary when you actually think that this could really happen, the headaches, phwoa, never in my life experienced anything like that. My doctor told me that you can't get the same strain twice, or at least I thought he'd said that until I see some have had it a few times and aren't yet dead. Not that it matters as there is no cure for any of them, I was just hooked up to a drip and monitored from home with fluid and pain relief which I don't think scratched the surface. I've had a really unwell past few months actually, I seem to constantly have flu or a cold, not been 100% for a while, but dengue......................... you don't know ill till you've been there.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've only had it once and hope I never get it again. The pain was excruciating, especially behind my eyes. For me the downside was that you can't take anything for the pain except paracetamol (acetaminophen) which didn't give any relief. If you take other pain killers such as NSADs like ibuprofen or Aleive you run the risk of haemorrhaging which can be very bad news.

The mozzies that give you dengue are the ones that bite during the day. They are usually the bigger black ones with the the black and white stripy back legs. I think I contracted dengue when we stopped in the Bahamas for a fuel stop / bathroom break when flying up to the US. If you think the mozzies are voracious in the DR, go to the Stella Maris in the Bahamas, then you know what it feels like to be eaten alive!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Actually, until reading the recent threads on here I was under the impression I was a rare case, but it appears that this dengue is more common than I ever imagined.

rubia1981

Jul 11, 2011
My experience of dengue was unforgettable. I will know if I ever contract this again. I had all the usual symptoms (sky high temp, fevers, excruciating pain behind the eyes, headaches, body aches, vomiting and severe exhaustion). My very first symptom was a very strange itching sensation which appeared on my skin and took days to go. This thing attacked everything in my body including my nervous system, platelets and liver function. I also had this disease in two waves, the second worse than the first, and caused a blood rash on my hands, feet and legs. I had bleeding gums etc....causing me to believe that i had the haemorragic form of the illness. I lost 6kgs in two weeks. It took over a month for my body to recover. It was a terrible time!

I have been told if I contract the same strain again, my body will fight it naturally and I will prob not even notice it. However, if I contract one of the other strains, my immune system will actually help this disease take control....meaning it will be worse than the firt experience, which is quite frightening! Lets hope this doesn't happen!

Unfortunatelly dengue is becoming more common in the dr. I know lots of people who have had it, but typically no one who was as ill as I was!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
rubia, i always say dengue is not a big deal and in most cases it is not. but sometimes it sucks big time and it call kill quite quickly if not treated. so again, i repeat myself: as soon as you see the symptoms pack your overnight bag and head for the emergency room. better safe than sorry.

ratzo

Feb 18, 2012
not to deflect attention from Dengue, but has anyone gotten mites? I got it last year (possibly in SD, possibly not) and it was misdiagnosed and in time it became a horrible ordeal. How do you all deal with and avoid parasites and infestations?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
How do you all deal with and avoid parasites and infestations?

Stay out of cabanas, they have some wonderful ones with spinning beds and mirrored ceilings, lazer show etc, but the reality is that they are used several times a day by filthy 200peso whores and probably not disinfected as often as would be considered hygenic.

Try not to have sex with anyone you don't know well enough to invite to dinner with your friends.

Try to resist the urge to scratch every street dogs infested ears, yes they pull funny faces and it is rewarding to give them some brief relief but again, they are filthy and most certainly are carrying some forms of parasite.

Me and my wife once caught something, a rash in all our warmer parts of our body, it was quite a few years ago and I can't even remember what it was, but it took some getting rid of with plenty cream and special wash. I understand it is quite common though as the pharmacy had the body wash behind the counter and she knew straight away where the cream was. We had been staying in cheap hotels while our home was repaired, go figure

Just touch fists, I stopped entirely shaking hands with anyone after I got this red eye infection that was very painful, at best I offer them an elbow, at worse I ignore their advance for a handshake and accept that I may have offended them.

Don't get arrested,police holding cells must be one of the most filthy, infected disgusting environments imaginable to us, apparently they are a breeding ground for all sorts of things and people can get quite sick after a day or two inside.

Other than that then your are just unlucky I think. There is only ever so much someone can do.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I've only had it once and hope I never get it again. The pain was excruciating, especially behind my eyes. For me the downside you can't take anything for the pain except paracetamol (acetaminophen) which didn't give any relief. If you take other pain killers such as NSADs like ibuprofen or Aleive you run the risk of haemorrhaging which can be very bad news.

The mozzies that give you dengue are the ones that bite during the day. They are usually the bigger black ones with the the black and white stripy back legs. I think I contracted dengue when we stopped in the Bahamas for a fuel stop / bathroom break when flying up to the US. If you think the mozzies are voracious in the DR, go to the Stella Maris in the Bahamas, then you know what it feels like to be eaten alive!

Yes this was it!!!!
I had that pain behind my eye. Every time I caugh or even took a step it felt my head was exploding in million peices. Not to mention high fevers and tiredness People in Moca/Santiago told me to walk it off since I wasn't vomiting or rolling on bed(I wanted to but no choice). But I was really dying while making through the days.

I will get proper testing next time so HQ back in state knows how much I am killing myself for their quarterly/annual report.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DOG", can you site a "reference" for those "200 Peso Whores"??????
The best price I have found is 500 pesos.
"Put Away the shrimp Mama, sisters bringing home the "Crabs"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I've had dengue three times. Twice in Puerto Rico and once in DR. There are several types (I recall four). Some give up to one year's immunity. The hemorrhagic type is what I had here. In addition to the fever, chills and muscle pain, the hemorrhagic dengue turned the whites of my eyes flag red and bruises sprouted everywhere, even blood through the skin. Went to HOMS and recovered without transfusions by copious amounts of guayaba (guava) juice blended with red bell peppers to fatten up the platelets and raise their count.

Since a malaria-like illness in Sumatra nearly 40 years ago, I've had to delay treatment of fevers until I identify their source by profiling my temperature. My Nemesis has 6-8 hour high peaks with shattering chills. (The first time I broke a tooth with my knee during the tremors.) Attempts to treat Nemesis put me in a long coma the first time. At my age now, it would kill me. So it's a life and death issue with me to identify fevers before treating them — as ordered by my doctors.

Dengue has a double hump fever, the second lower than the first, and it tapers off into a low grade fever that can last a week or even more. Treatment is absolutely necessary when hemorrhagic signs appear. Non-hemorrhagic types usually can be suffered through like the flu by non-senior adults.

For a picture of the mosquito and more information about dengue punch up PARASITES.PDF

Last edited:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Had dengue recently and was in the hospital for four days. When my fever spiked, I was told to take a shower. For pain, the doctor said I could only get 500 milligrams of acetomenaphin every 4 hours. That was when I had my breakdown. The pain was too much and I was ready to fly to Miami.

In response to the developing situation, a young internist was called in to assess my case. He ordered a new drug regimen. Within 4 hours, the pain was gone and my fever was finally dropping.

Doctors here are not required to do continuing education. Even though dengue is hitting us hard here in the Bani area, doctors are sticking to the treatment they learned in medical school, whether the treatment is effective or not. A younger doctor will know about the latest treatment options for dengue.

If a doctor tells you that nothing can be given for the pain, get another doctor.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
**** this is the first i heard that this fever is so prevalent in the DR and of course there is no 'vaccine" to prevent it. No wonder I hate mosquito so much filthy lil bastids. here in Canada you can get West Nile Virus from them which is a fatal disease, if untreated, and even when treated in some cases. No vaccine for that either. Well let us all play mosquito roulette!

rubia1981

Jul 11, 2011
**** this is the first i heard that this fever is so prevalent in the DR and of course there is no 'vaccine" to prevent it. No wonder I hate mosquito so much filthy lil bastids. here in Canada you can get West Nile Virus from them which is a fatal disease, if untreated, and even when treated in some cases. No vaccine for that either. Well let us all play mosquito roulette!

Yes, I hear they are 2 years away from obtaining a vaccine due to the fact there are 4 strains of this damn disease, and they all respond differently to any new vaccines developed. God I hope it comes soon, I am now petrified of Mosquitos! I have had it, my partner has had it, and it's only a matter of time before one of us gets it again!