Buying a LARGE Jeep?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I've searched Suppercarros and six cylinders is the largest that I have been able to find. Nothing with a tow package. Is this due to the new laws?

My 13 year old Jeep with the big V8 and class IV tow package will need to be replaced soon. She has been a great car but even though she only has 50K miles on her, I'm looking for a new one. I can buy one in Florida with everything that I want for around $42K and shipping is less then $1.5K roro. But then I worry about the "luxury" tax with a large V8, 6 Ltr. engine and all that is needed to tow a 7K lb. loaded trailer and that the car would be new and no miles on it... BUT paid for in total.

We have been legal residence living in the D.R. for several years.

I'd rather find a dealer here in the D.R. and pay them rather then having to deal with the importing tax and gratuity problems. (been there and done that a couple of times moving here.)

Anyone with REAL experience regarding this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do you have any particular brand in mind? new car?
sending you a PM...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
do you have any particular brand in mind? new car?
sending you a PM...

NEW Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with ...... it's loaded but NOT with the largest Hemmie engine that requires premium gas.

We have really loved our 2000 Jeep GCL but she is showing her years. Towing horses into remote areas I'm thinking a new one.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
check my PM. tio pablo daughter sells what you need. her name is carla. ask about her at the same place.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Can you just rebuild the engine ??

Might be an easy solution....

Engine is GREAT... it's all the other little things that have me concerned. Our old 13 year old mule has just about 50K miles on her but the life here in the D.R. adds a lot. We did have her re-built in part put little things due to years and climate are creeping in. For a go here or there car, even in nasty conditions... to Jarabaco, Santo Domingo, LT....... NOT a problem and her 4.7 Ltr engine is....... I LOVE her. BUT. Hauling 7000 lbs into the remote areas I've got to stop and remember that she may not be up to that NOR am I up to any problems while loading and going home. So this becomes a matter of comfort zone and at my age, I don't mind being out of it and exploring but ..... when it's time to go .... it's time to go. :)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Can't you find what you need at Santo Domingo Motors - - Chevy etc?

I will be in Santo Domingo tomorrow lining up eye surgery and will be looking around while there. ????? ya... blind man looking at cars should be a hoot. I asked my wife if I could look at breasts via braille while we walked around and I did not get a positive response. Anyway... I'll stop by them and feel around. Thanks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't know if my man - Victor Hugo - is still in the business..... he's good

PM me your e-mailand phone.... I'll hook you up.

Slightly used is better than new.... to me

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I don't know if my man - Victor Hugo - is still in the business..... he's good

PM me your e-mailand phone.... I'll hook you up.

Slightly used is better than new.... to me

Thanks ww. Just PM me with info. The problem with "slightly used" is slightly used where? Like in a flood zone? The D.R. is known for their "slightly used" cars and, sorry....... I want NEW and to my specs.

I just want to know IF anyone in the D.R. can do this. I can pay the dealer a fair price minus the problems to me OR... I do it myself and have to go a work the process that is not so nice.

(I might have a very GOOD big Jeep for sale soon.)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks ww. Just PM me with info. The problem with "slightly used" is slightly used where? Like in a flood zone? The D.R. is known for their "slightly used" cars and, sorry....... I want NEW and to my specs.

I just want to know IF anyone in the D.R. can do this. I can pay the dealer a fair price minus the problems to me OR... I do it myself and have to go a work the process that is not so nice.

(I might have a very GOOD big Jeep for sale soon.)

Importing causes a lot of headache. It start from purchasing to shipping. I hope you have good dealer that can do it for minium price and headache. We asked dealers around but we were not be happy.

It wasn't Jeepeta but we went through bringing in a big customized Chevy van through free zone. Happy on price we paid on purchasing but wasn't happy on rest of others process.

I'd say rebuild engine but what do I know...
I hope you good luck whichever path you choose.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Why does it have to be American?

My Dominican family says:

1. Toyota has faboulous build quality and is great as a luxury vehicle - maybe a Landcruiser (the big one) is for you? It can do anything well - or maybe a camionetta?
2. Isuzu has the best 'farming/working' vehicles - maybe a 3.0 TD diesel double cabin camionetta would do the trick?

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
Why does it have to be American?

My Dominican family says:

1. Toyota has faboulous build quality and is great as a luxury vehicle - maybe a Landcruiser (the big one) is for you? It can do anything well - or maybe a camionetta?
2. Isuzu has the best 'farming/working' vehicles - maybe a 3.0 TD diesel double cabin camionetta would do the trick?

We use a 3.0 Turbo Diesel Isuzu trooper in the UK to tow 7000lb over all terain, We also use it to launch our boat into the sea and they are pretty indestructible !!! They also have a higher road clearence wich will help in RD. I owned a ford explorer in RD and there is no comparison to a Jap 4x4 vehicle

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why not just go to the Jeep importer (Reed?) and order what you want from them? I'm sure they'd bring it in for you and offer warranty support...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I've always wondered about that. Why more people don't do it.

Surely, it's cheaper to order your own and have the dealer import it than going "solo" to do it all yourself.
PLUS, you get dealer support.

Anybody got experience here?

I'm thinking of doing this w/ a UTV...... Polaris or Can-Am.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've always wondered about that. Why more people don't do it.

Surely, it's cheaper to order your own and have the dealer import it than going "solo" to do it all yourself.
PLUS, you get dealer support.

Anybody got experience here?

I'm thinking of doing this w/ a UTV...... Polaris or Can-Am.
I bought an entire fleet of V-Stroms from the local importer. Upon analysis, it didn't cost one penny more AND additionally I got dealer support, ~zero~ adaunsa/DGII and port hassles...and made some friends in the process.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup --- you're a good example............ slipped my mind (what there is of it):surprised

Dealer city for my UTV.......... soon.......... when my ship comes in