How much it costs to get driving license?

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
So im learning how to drive with a guy from escuela de choferes in Sosua, i paid my classes but he also offers his help in getting me a license, so i wanted to make sure he is not ripping me off. He said the whole process will cost 6000RD. What if i go there myself to pass exams and pay propina there etc how much will it cost? What is your experience in getting dominican license (without having a license at all before)?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he's ripping you off :) ;)
a friend of mine told me she had an offer to "get" her license in POP for 5k. no need to show up at any exams and do anything apart from getting an eye test and having a mug shot taken :)

but anyway, i did my license about 4 years ago. you have to pay taxes in banreservas, i do not know how much is it now but around 3.000 pesos, i think. then you go to take theory test: 10 simple questions back then, you can make 3 mistakes. then it's driving: forward, backward, park. have some cash ready in case your examiner has doubts about your performance.
then eye test, a photo, fingerprint and you get your license.

i have never driven a car before coming to DR and i am sure i am not capable in doing in in any country that observes transit laws. but i do well here :)

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
It costs under 3000 pesos including your learners permit ( you have to get that before you get the license) , the good conduct cert. Znd the license itself... you pay this at banreservas before you go to the "dmv". YOU have to be present in order to get a valid license, if this guy is just gonna give you one, it will be fake,and you will be screwed if you get into a bad accident..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the way to go is to make sure that with the 6k you pay you actually get your license done in front of you in the local transport office. that is that you have your eyes checked, your photo done and your fingerprints taken.
i forgot to mention that in order to do all that you need to have a dominican cedula...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dumb question.....if you have an existing/current driver's license from another country, do you still have to do all of the above?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes. but apparently you can also exchange your country's license for a dominican one. never seen anyone do it, thou :)

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
yes. but apparently you can also exchange your country's license for a dominican one. never seen anyone do it, thou :)
I did it, explained how to do it before but cannot find the threat anymore. Every national can do it except Americans. Can be done in one day. If I find the threat I will post a link.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I "changed it" if you called. I translated my german driving license on the German consulate. After paying tax and eye exam
and bloodtest I got the license. But of course I still have my German license

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no blood test needed, really, they asked me my group and it's on your cedula already...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I changed it as well and also had to do the blood test while it doesn't say on my cedula. I don't remember what I paid, but it wasn't much, to have my Dutch license certified in the Dutch embassy was more expensive than changing it. It took about 3 hours, of which 2 waiting for them to verify my dutch license. Very easy process.

May 20, 2012
Not for Americans? I don't see that in the link to the explanation. How are Americans excluded?
I did it, explained how to do it before but cannot find the threat anymore. Every national can do it except Americans. Can be done in one day. If I find the threat I will post a link.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had a US license..... I paid the driving school in Sosua 4000 pesos for the VIP in POP..... he took me to the bank, to the office for eyes and test and photo and walked out w/ a licence in 2 hrs or so.
US licencse was never mentioned.

They even hit the buttons for the computer test for you -- being careful to make an error or two to avoid the 'Einstein syndrome'

May 20, 2012
So are birth certificates. It would only take a computer to verify instantly. Anyone have a contact there that can explain why no cooperation from the Consulate?
u.s. embassy won't validate the license... perhaps because they are state, and not federally, issued?

May 20, 2012
So you never had to do the learner permit and wait?
I had a US license..... I paid the driving school in Sosua 4000 pesos for the VIP in POP..... he took me to the bank, to the office for eyes and test and photo and walked out w/ a licence in 2 hrs or so.
US licencse was never mentioned.

They even hit the buttons for the computer test for you -- being careful to make an error or two to avoid the 'Einstein syndrome'

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, that was the learner permit.... after 45 days (or whatever) you go back in for the permanent.

He did that too.

He sits in his car up above the beach in Sosua at a little roundabout - up the hillside a bit on the south side of the road..... I forget his name but may be able to find it

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Yes, that was the learner permit.... after 45 days (or whatever) you go back in for the permanent.

He did that too.

He sits in his car up above the beach in Sosua at a little roundabout - up the hillside a bit on the south side of the road..... I forget his name but may be able to find it

His name is Gabriel Rodriguez and the street name is Los Tavarez across from the stairs to the beach. cell# 809-771-0787