Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How much it costs to get driving license?

So im learning how to drive with a guy from escuela de choferes in Sosua, i paid my classes but he also offers his help in getting me a license, so i wanted to make sure he is not ripping me off. He said the whole process will cost 6000RD. What if i go there myself to pass exams and pay propina there etc how much will it cost? What is your experience in getting dominican license (without having a license at all before)?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

he's ripping you off
    a friend of mine told me she had an offer to "get" her license in POP for 5k. no need to show up at any exams and do anything apart from getting an eye test and having a mug shot taken

but anyway, i did my license about 4 years ago. you have to pay taxes in banreservas, i do not know how much is it now but around 3.000 pesos, i think. then you go to take theory test: 10 simple questions back then, you can make 3 mistakes. then it's driving: forward, backward, park. have some cash ready in case your examiner has doubts about your performance.
    then eye test, a photo, fingerprint and you get your license.

i have never driven a car before coming to DR and i am sure i am not capable in doing in in any country that observes transit laws. but i do well here

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It costs under 3000 pesos including your learners permit ( you have to get that before you get the license) , the good conduct cert. Znd the license itself... you pay this at banreservas before you go to the "dmv". YOU have to be present in order to get a valid license, if this guy is just gonna give you one, it will be fake,and you will be screwed if you get into a bad accident..

4. Likes JessicaRabbit liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the way to go is to make sure that with the 6k you pay you actually get your license done in front of you in the local transport office. that is that you have your eyes checked, your photo done and your fingerprints taken.
    i forgot to mention that in order to do all that you need to have a dominican cedula...

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Dumb question.....if you have an existing/current driver's license from another country, do you still have to do all of the above?

Administrator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

yes. but apparently you can also exchange your country's license for a dominican one. never seen anyone do it, thou

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    yes. but apparently you can also exchange your country's license for a dominican one. never seen anyone do it, thou
    I did it, explained how to do it before but cannot find the threat anymore. Every national can do it except Americans. Can be done in one day. If I find the threat I will post a link.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I "changed it" if you called. I translated my german driving license on the German consulate. After paying tax and eye exam
    and bloodtest I got the license. But of course I still have my German license

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

no blood test needed, really, they asked me my group and it's on your cedula already...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast