almonds from sosua beach

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
You know those almonds which fall from the trees which shade the sosua beach. Well they're very fresh and fine taste. But the shell is pretty hard to open without ruining the fruits in it. Do you eat those almonds? How do U open them properly eventually?
:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i love almendra criolla. especially fresh and still moist! i buy them in jose luis in POP. there are plenty of almond trees in costambar and i could easily get a life supply by collecting them from the street when i walk my dogs, but alas, opening the damn thing takes me at least 15 minutes and the result is mashed almond with lots of hard bits in it.

one of our worker's mother makes sweets from almonds (dulce de almendra, super tasty) and she can crack open a huge bag of them within few hours. one hit per almendra.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from what i gather the almonds (whole fruit) are first dried in the sun. then you "stand" the fruit on a piece of rock and crack it open with a knife and another stone.
easier said than done :) i surely have never managed that. but here in DR this is often a job for a whole family: everyone collects the almonds and then cracks them open, even older kids. practice makes perfect, right?
jose luis sells a small tray for about 50 pesos. so they buy it even cheaper. lots of work for little reward. but then, it's still money. and almonds are free. so whatever you make is all yours.