Dominican Republic

G

Gregg S. Possien

Hi everybody.

My name is Gregg and I live in the United States. I am looking for information about the Dominican Republic. My girlfriend and I are considering making a move to your beautiful country. I am in need of some employment contacts and any information about the economy. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Gregg

C

ChicacagoChris

I would strongly recommend that you two make a few trips down there prior to making any decision. It ain't Kansas Dorothy.

D

DR1

I agree...

I would spend at least a few months here before making a decision. Being a tourist is very different to actually living here.

Rob.

G

Grahame Bush

Where are you thinking of going to in the DR? It is a big place with many diferring tourist areas, towns, cities etc. What do you WANT to do down here? What do you know about the country & what friends do you have already down here? How old are you? What have you been doing for employment until now?

You have a lot of research to do before making such a move & you really ought to get proficient in Spanish if you don't aslready speak it. Send me an e-mail to the above address if you are thinking of coming to the North Coast & I will see what pointers I can give you. - Grahame Bush

G

Grahame Bush

Re: I agree...

Yup, .... it gets to be far more fun. You get known as being a resident or local & then don't get bothered by the town guides, hustlers & scam artists etc.
Have a nice one - Grahame Bush.

E

Ed and Mame

Very true on that one ! Some can hack it, and some can't. You need to go for a prolonged time and try to get all around the "big" island. We did it for 3 weeks; fell in love with it; but will rent a small house in a small village (Most NE "Samana Peninsula") from December thru March. THEN we will know for sure about "moving" there. You sound like you don't know much about it if you're asking for information. I'll e-mail some informational websites which were very important to us as we planned our first trip. -Ed and Mame-

E

Ed and Mame

Re: I agree...

Absolutely right. Can't emphasize that enough !!! -Mame-

M

Matt

Greg; Like Chris said " it ain't Kansas" but it is a beautiful place filled with wonderful people. My plan is also to move to the DR. My wife and I just got back home from a ten day visit. We are already planning our second trip next July. This time we are staying alot longer. Talk to Graham Bush if you can. He's a straight shooter with excellent inside information about the DR.
Good Luck..............Matt

P

Phyllis

Grahame, always helping people :)

You are truly a wonderful person my friend!

C

Carol

Re: Grahame, always helping people :)

Gosh Graham, here we go again!! Seriously though, I totally agree with Phyllis. We'll have to form a fan club for you!!

R

Richard

absolutely right Chris. Anyone thinking of a permanent move may find it advisable to rent an apartmet or condo for a few months, get to know the lay of the land, some of the culture and way of life before making an inexpensive and possibly costly mistake. Living and/or operating a business in the DR is a far cry from a two week vacation when every night is Saturday night. p.s. see you in November Chris. You're welcome for the warning lol Personal regards Richard

B

Bobs

Yup, Grahame is a pal. and his Ginnie serves up a mean mango chutney. Really know their stuff and give sound advise !

B

Bobs

Yup, Grahame is a pal. and his Ginnie serves up a mean mango chutney. Really know their stuff and give sound advise ! Gracias compadre.

J

Julia

After about two years of reading all the information and advice on this board and spending four! times of our hollidays in the north and the south, we have now rented an apartment in Sosua for the wintertime to make sure if we want to stay or not! My daughter learned to speak spanish in the meantime (I do my very best abouth that), we have some friends in the north as well in the south, we've traveled a lot around with bus, qua-qua, motoconcho and taxi, we've rented a car and drove from south to east, we did shopping in big stores and small markets, and so on......So, I think you have a lot to find out before you'll move!
We wish you a lot of patience and flexibility: Julia and daughter