What makes a community?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
As many of you know, I have been ill this year. I just really found this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/124061-where-mountain-annie.html and had a chance to ABSORB how many of you were concerned about my whereabouts and well being.

Thanks are inadequate.

How blessed I am to see that so many of you here have such big hearts that when I had not posted here or in FB for a few weeks you went inot ALERT and ALARM

My family .. of which there are not many but they have been on DEFCON 15 since April.. are so ASTONISHED at the attention that I got.

I was arrested over a traffic scam, The rental car place walked over to my apartment, contacted the super, who contacted my neighbor. From there it went to Rhode Island, to Puerto Rico, to
Las Terrenas

and my two best friends from LT came to visit me in the psych hospital in Santiago.

I am bipolar. Have been, of course, all my life but manage it pretty well.

I had been managing without any sort of medication for two years before i came here because i am not so stupid as to think that I could make this transition while dependent on medication just to function in my home life.

For three years here, I was fine. For the last four.. but most particularly since the Earthquake which SO broke my heart.
Changing Perspectives

HOW amazing that although I have only met a handful of you face to face.. I have managed to get your love and attention.

My deepest gratitude to all of you who lifted me up in prayers and concerns.

I am also now recovering from a thromboembulism in my leg.. and now a burn in my arm

I am working to get back off of medication since all of it makes me allergic to the sun << a horrible sorta interior burn which gets worse as time goes on. I was already hospitalized on IV for three days because of it.

Since I am an elder, I do not find it fitting to bemoan the fact that the body is giving out as I age.

But.. well.. it is hard to realize it when it happens all of a sudden. Suddenly my hearing is worse in the left ear where I had the squid build a nest for a week last year. No infection or anything. Just hear less. Well, suck it up Beethoven was completely deaf. And so. you need number four glasses to see your hand? Your niece is legally blind.

But to read that thread. And know that I have here . among you faceless pseudonym people.

FRIENDS

Now I am truely blessed

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
just for information. should it occur to anyone else. should you or a relative be placed in one of the State mental faciliies, either here in SD or SAntiago. They are as good as any in the United States. clean. fair. honest. good staff, good medication. the food is lousy but what else is knew.

The Santiago Cabral facility is their training hospital and it is paved with medical students. About 100 students a day packed inot the ward with the 2 of us!! Amaxing/

All white coated interns .. full classes meeting every day.

I did not go inpatient at 28 but spent some time on the lawn there while they checked my sanity over the issue of my leg and decided to put me in a private clinic.

I think the medical care here is BETTER than what I have recieved in my life in the United States.

But if you are in patient pscyh and a foreigner. or at least a YANK . you must be released only to the custody of a family member. otherwise they will not let you out.

My nephew, who is my closest blood kin, came over from Puerto Rico. I have cousins in Florida and new york who were packing.

It might be a good idea for us .. to have on file with someone at DR1 the phone or email of the closest kin?

that might save the group a lot of time

I will put Chiri in touch with my adopted daughter and that will cover me.

But I would also suggest that all the elders on the Board think about similar arrangements

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My mother in law is being treated at Jose Maria Cabral for what I believe is dementia. They do the best they can with what they have but honestly I believe sincere concern and kind words can be worth more than a bag of medicine at times, not that I'm opposed to medicine in the least bit.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
They do their best at the clinic in the public hospital in Santiago so MA is in good hands.

I was in Santiago for about a week in June. They do a good job.

I had a blood embolism in Las Terrenas and was in a clinic in Gazcue

thanks all for the support and prayers. Because I know if Chip is posting, there be a prayin...

prayers actually help me more than medicine of any sort.

Even though I am not a Christian, I appreciate the shout out.

I study witchcraft and voodo and am a Quaker pagan.

My Meeting has been more important to me than any hospital or medicine

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
If anyone is missing a sort of ministry it would be a blessing if they had more vitamin b in the food at the psych hospital in Santiago

the food is prison slop

i know that they do not have the money to buy fruit for the indigent

but the B vitamins .. particularly bananas seem to really improve mental health. There is a lot of lit on the Vitamin cures and I was on heavy vitamins when I came off of psych meds the first time.

There might be a rich banana farmer who would be willing to donate.

I posted just in case some one knows someone who has a cousin.

in the banana business.