Shuttle from Santo Domingo airport

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I'm wondering what the best method is of getting from Las Americas airport in Santo Domingo to the city center. My flight will be arriving at 3am and I would like to find a trusted and accredited shuttle service that is completely safe. Is there some sort of stand at the airport run by a company? I'd rather not just jump in any old taxi waiting outside on the curb.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There is the taxi stand. Unfortunately completely safe and 3am don't often find themselves in the same sentence in Santo Domino but you will be fine with the airport cabs.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks for the tips. I'm not worried that much about the price. I just don't want to get held up or anything.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Are you staying at a hotel? If so talk to them and have them make arrangements for a taxi to pick you. Also have them send you and e-mail verifying the price for the taxi.

LTSteve

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
at the taxi stand at the SDQ, ask to see the Rates Book, it's been a while but last time I used a taxi from SDQ to the crib was RD$1,600.00 as per the "Tarifa Publicada"

Safe as any other method at 03:00, short of personal bodyguard transportation services, which are also available, i.e.for a reason eh.

g'luck

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is around $40.00 from the airport to the city. Make sure you settle on the price before you get into the taxi. Agree it is a good idea if your staying at a hotel to see if they can arrange this for you.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
I have a similar question, but not from SDQ...Planning on arriving with my family at STI at 2am...hows the taxi/shuttle situation over in Santiago that time of night? Is it ok to take taxi from STI to the city(santiago)? Any advice would be appreciated...thanks in advance....

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
I can't believe there's no shuttle service from SDQ to the city. You would think there would be one, with all that human traffic flying in.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a similar question, but not from SDQ...Planning on arriving with my family at STI at 2am...hows the taxi/shuttle situation over in Santiago that time of night? Is it ok to take taxi from STI to the city(santiago)? Any advice would be appreciated...thanks in advance....

Whenever there are flights arriving there are taxis. Have not heard of any problems with people taking taxis from airport at night. Condo where I live in Sosua gets renters coming at night by taxi from Santiago.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I can't believe there's no shuttle service from SDQ to the city. You would think there would be one, with all that human traffic flying in.

Why would you think there would be shuttle service that would put a bunch of taxi drivers out of work?

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I would like to find a trusted and accredited shuttle service that is completely safe.
There isn't a shuttle service at the airport that I know of. If you haven't already done this, you might be able to find some additional information on this topic by using the search function, as I have seen this topic discussed in the forum before.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There are no shuttles because the taxis want the business. If they had a shuttle taxis would suffer. Next time you make reservations don't come in in the middle of the night.

LTSTeve

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Next time you make reservations don't come in in the middle of the night.

LTSTeve

It was the only direct flight I could get, unfortunately. I will probably just wait around the airport after landing for a few hours until sunrise and then get a taxi.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Whenever there are flights arriving there are taxis. Have not heard of any problems with people taking taxis from airport at night. Condo where I live in Sosua gets renters coming at night by taxi from Santiago.

Thanks Ken, I was a little uneasy about the short trek from STI airport to Santiago at 3am, it saves me around 600 bucks, (compared to AA during the early evening), but don't want to get held up by any bandits on the road. I think it should be ok, just checkin!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I wouldn't worry that much about getting a taxi at that hour. I think it would be a better idea than hanging in the airport.

LTSTeve

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I wouldn't worry that much about getting a taxi at that hour. I think it would be a better idea than hanging in the airport.

LTSTeve

Do you see any problems or dangers arising from hanging at the airport at that hour, or do you just think it would be boring/waste of time?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Do you see any problems or dangers arising from hanging at the airport at that hour, or do you just think it would be boring/waste of time?

Yes, I see possible dangers. Depends, I think, on where you are sitting and whether you are alone, out of sight of responsible people, or whether you are where there is a lot of activity.

My concern is not specific to any particular airport.

Due to severe rainstorms, a flight I was taking to MIA from POP with a 4 pm departure got a very late start. I arrived in MIA hours after the flight I was to take to Chicago had left. I arranged for a seat on a plane leaving early in the morning and considered hanging out in the airport rather than paying for a room for such a short night. But after looking around and seeing how little activity there was, I got a hotel room at 10:30-11 pm. I would not have dared to fall asleep in the airport.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I flew from NYC to SDQ and landed at 3.30 AM in August. I am a woman (Black), my ride was late, I stood a little while waiting for my ride. A couple of taxis approached me and a guy on my flight even offered me a ride (more dangerous than the taxis IMO). Obviously, I am still alive.

My friend took the same flight the following week (blond hair blue eyes) and took a taxi to her hotel. She is alive as well.

You will be fine.

If you are still uneasy, approach someone friendly on your flight and ask him/her to help you get a taxi driver.

RELAX