What are legal limits for bringing in our luggage?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Couldn't find with a search; sorry if redundant question.

We like some liquors not sold here. But don't want to donate any to customs by bringing too much!

And would like to bring a computer monitor we already own, but it needs to be in a box as its 27 inches. It's not a TV, just a monitor. Any way to figure out what we could be charged if they notice it?

Is there a list of what's allowed and what's going to cause a fee and/or confiscation?

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
every body was saying the price of the item new. i just stuffed a 19 inch tv in my bag 5 mins ago and hope i can make it there with out them bothering me im going to act like its my first time there

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Feb 7, 2007
I brought in 6 litters of booze, but was not searched. I would like to know as well what is the allowed limit.

Before traveling back to the DR form Europe, I also move the contents of the glass liquor bottle into a plastic bottle, shrink wrap it over several times and seal with clear tape all over, then back in the DR move the contents again into an empty glass bottle of the same liquor. Saves on weight and greatly reduces the risk of breaking while in transit. Yes this approach required bringing in glass bottles first time.

Even if you do not have original same-liquor bottles sitting at home in the DR, you can just use another glass bottle, Rum, etc. even from Coca Cola, if you are not so picky about where you drink your liquor from, or if the liquor is not meant as a gift or for hosting a party.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my concern about liquids is not breakage: i snug them in newspapers, bubble wrap and enough duck tape to lat macgyver for a year. the problem is weight, more so if you bring glass. the luggage limits are very small so make sure you really only bring things that you cannot buy in DR. there is a huge liquor store in POP called bottles (on luis ginebra), maybe you can find some of the stuff you need there. granted, it will be more expensive, but surely cheaper than paying for extra luggage...

in any case, my old airport trick is a disheveled zombie look: because i suffer from motion sickness and because the landings are always worse upon leaving the plane i look like the walking dead extra: pale, limp and giving the impression i died last week and was briefly warmed over to pass at the security gate. i also emit faint smells of stale barf and i tightly clasp a sick bag in my hand. add bulging red eyes and hornet nest hair and no one dares to stand any closer that one meter away. and no airport personnel ever approaches out of sheer fear and disgust. works every time, that.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As far as I know there is no limit on the amount of liquor you can bring with you. I have brought easily 15-20 bottles of duty free in a few times and no one blinked.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my concern about liquids is not breakage: i snug them in newspapers, bubble wrap and enough duck tape to lat macgyver for a year. the problem is weight, more so if you bring glass. the luggage limits are very small so make sure you really only bring things that you cannot buy in DR. there is a huge liquor store in POP called bottles (on luis ginebra), maybe you can find some of the stuff you need there. granted, it will be more expensive, but surely cheaper than paying for extra luggage...

in any case, my old airport trick is a disheveled zombie look: because i suffer from motion sickness and because the landings are always worse upon leaving the plane i look like the walking dead extra: pale, limp and giving the impression i died last week and was briefly warmed over to pass at the security gate. i also emit faint smells of stale barf and i tightly clasp a sick bag in my hand. add bulging red eyes and hornet nest hair and no one dares to stand any closer that one meter away. and no airport personnel ever approaches out of sheer fear and disgust. works every time, that.

You never cease to amaze me D.... You express yourself in English better than some native speakers. I want to be you when I grow up.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for that idea. We are usually in a rush and only visiting in a hotel, which limits our ability to transfer easily. Some liquor is even being packaged in plastic now.

But I do wonder if unlabeled or mislabeled liquids would be a problem in checked luggage. I usually have TSA "love notes" in my bags when I open them.

Those Jet Bags are reusable unless something leaks or breaks. So far, no breakage/leakage though. Every duty free shop should be selling them IMO, because after clearing customs, passengers must go through security again. And, therefore, no liquids can be carried onboard continuing flights. So people must put liquids into their checked luggage before rechecking it.

I brought in 6 litters of booze, but was not searched. I would like to know as well what is the allowed limit.

Before traveling back to the DR form Europe, I also move the contents of the glass liquor bottle into a plastic bottle, shrink wrap it over several times and seal with clear tape all over, then back in the DR move the contents again into an empty glass bottle of the same liquor. Saves on weight and greatly reduces the risk of breaking while in transit. Yes this approach required bringing in glass bottles first time.

Even if you do not have original same-liquor bottles sitting at home in the DR, you can just use another glass bottle, Rum, etc. even from Coca Cola, if you are not so picky about where you drink your liquor from, or if the liquor is not meant as a gift or for hosting a party.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Thank you for telling me about this liquor store. I will go and see if they have what we want here. Best place I know in Cab/Sosua is Super Super, but not much of a bourbon selection there.

there is a huge liquor store in POP called bottles (on luis ginebra), maybe you can find some of the stuff you need there. granted, it will be more expensive, but surely cheaper than paying for extra luggage....

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Computer Monitor?

I know TV's are taxed; does it matter if it's only a monitor?

Another issue is the box is 2 inches over the 62 inch American Airlines limit (length+width+height)!! Anyone have experience with this? How picky is AA about oversize checked stuff? Do they pull out a tape measure? It's US$200 fee!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I took a lot of Computer monitors and flat screen TV's to the DR, but always in checked luggage. One time customs opened the bag and saw a flat screen TV tucked in some towels. He asked what it was and I told him a computer monitor that cost me $80 US. He sent me through right away without any questions or even looking at it.

But if it is in the original box they will almost surely open it and the result might be different.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If your box is over the size allowed they could make you pay the additional money. On flights to the DR they can be very picky if you get the wrong customer service rep. Also you will pay a duty on the DR end if it is in a box and can be readily seen by customs.

LTSTeve

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
about the liquor... imo it's just easier to buy there. About the same price +/- small amount... certainly not worth the effort and risk of breakage. If you're gonna' smuggle something, it should be worthwhile... something you can't get easily get there at close to the same price, and in general, you're not gonna' have any problem getting a good selection of booze in the D.R. Actually, I'm pretty much happy with Extra Viejo Brugal, gives me a break from the bourbon I drink at home. LOL

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Bottom line.. if you can fit it in your luggage than bring it. If you have a cardboard box it will be opened and checked at customs in the DR. I have brought all kinds of things in my luggage including a 32" flat screen, a toaster, blender, snorkel equipment etc. Good luck.

LTSteve

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
So far, have not found for sale what we want in booze at any price. But I haven't made it to the POP liquor store yet, so maybe just need a better source.
We like the rum, too. Just miss our favorite bourbons after awhile.
about the liquor... imo it's just easier to buy there. About the same price +/- small amount... certainly not worth the effort and risk of breakage. If you're gonna' smuggle something, it should be worthwhile... something you can't get easily get there at close to the same price, and in general, you're not gonna' have any problem getting a good selection of booze in the D.R. Actually, I'm pretty much happy with Extra Viejo Brugal, gives me a break from the bourbon I drink at home. LOL

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I usually find that anything can be had in Sto Domingo......... all those millions of people and pesos .........
They'll have bourbon for you.