A love affair with the Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Tonight, our area was noisier than usual.

The screaming kids that usually stop screaming at 10 pm or so were still screaming, and the music was glaring everywhere on a Tuesday night.

My wife decided to go outside and walk around, and when we got to the Blue mall, we asked one of the security guards if tonight was a special night of some sort, a fiesta or a festival..

The guard proceeded to tell us that the people were cooped up at home for the last three days, because of of the Juan Pablo Duarte holiday, and took tonight to celebrate the winning of the game and to go out and have fun.

That was not the surprising part. He went on to say that he will test my wife to see if Americans are "good people". We thought it was a joke.

He then asked my wife for money and he said he has been on shift since 3 pm and it was now 11 pm and he is "hungry" and has no money "to get home"

This is not the first time we have been asked for money, but i think it is the last, as we are so fed up with this country...

These people have no values, no morals, no pride..

how can a grown man ask strangers for money like that?

The answer is that it is the mentality of the people.

That is why they have mothers and kids that beg everywhere..

But they don't want to work, they sit on plastic chairs, drink, talk **** and expect fairness.

The people of this country are nothing but lazy garbage...

It is a shame, because it is a beautiful country with so much potential, but it will never

fix itself...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yes it is louder than usual tonight. Lots of cars driving up and down with music blaring and horns honking. But not uncommon at all for the people to be celebrating the win tonight. I would not say that the people here are lazy garbage just because you were asked for money. Maybe the guy was hungry and had no money to get home, who knows but if that is the worst that has happened to you then I cant see what all the fuss is about.

Dec 26, 2011
Yes it is louder than usual tonight. Lots of cars driving up and down with music blaring and horns honking. But not uncommon at all for the people to be celebrating the win tonight. I would not say that the people here are lazy garbage just because you were asked for money. Maybe the guy was hungry and had no money to get home, who knows but if that is the worst that has happened to you then I cant see what all the fuss is about.

Not a nice person. That's what the deal is.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Sounds like a very familiar pushed to the edge, can't be bothered with it anymore rant.

You can't judge all by the standards of those who will bother you for money, rob and abuse you if you don't, remember there are the rest who wouldn't even give you the time of day because they don't need your money, don't forget the rest:bandit:

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i always say ask my girl friend for money because she has my money they dont know what to say. alot of the guys are not going to steal or rob someone so they beg unless you want them to rob you

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
That's what you call a sweeping generalization. If you feel that way, why are you there?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

The screaming kids that usually stop screaming at 10 pm or so were still screaming, and the music was glaring everywhere on a Tuesday night.

My wife decided to go outside and walk around, and when we got to the Blue mall, we asked one of the security guards if tonight was a special night of some sort, a fiesta or a festival..

The guard proceeded to tell us that the people were cooped up at home for the last three days, because of of the Juan Pablo Duarte holiday, and took tonight to celebrate the winning of the game and to go out and have fun.

That was not the surprising part. He went on to say that he will test my wife to see if Americans are "good people". We thought it was a joke.

He then asked my wife for money and he said he has been on shift since 3 pm and it was now 11 pm and he is "hungry" and has no money "to get home"

This is not the first time we have been asked for money, but i think it is the last, as we are so fed up with this country...

But they don't want to work, they sit on plastic chairs, drink, talk **** and expect fairness.

It is a shame, because it is a beautiful country with so much potential, but it will never

fix itself...

It is not true that the people are lazy

what is true is that the NAMED families who run the island.. welll,l yes, they can be named,

keep the salaries low.

Whne Ikea opened they were paying the parking lot attendants 10,000 a month. which is a GREAT salary for that skill set.

Clearly Blue Mall is different.

I went there both Thursday and Friday nites.... oon Friday I had a breakdown as I had to listen to the blaring music as the children of the one percent came out for date nite.. and then sat on pee on the toilet seat .. next to Cartier.. had a breakdown and started a rant...

The women's room looked like a pig sty. Only on Caribe Tours bathrooms have i seen such a mess. This after an hour only of the spoiled brats arrival.

Ditto the bathroom in the movie theater.,

My guest, who is Dominican and prideful and gets upset when
I do not say THANK YOU to the waiter.. freak out at my freaking out

for the second time i paid for the movie and could not watch since the theaters are SO tiny that the entire bottom half is useless... i could see Denzel;s nose.

plus of course I have been stressed.. this right after my landlady essentially evicted me even though she has the next two rent checks in hand.

The campo is not this filthy

nor this ill mannered.

clearly they need to CHANGE the mindset of the people

but clearly also

FOREIGNERS are NOT welcome here

Certainly not by the one percent,

at least not Americans

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

fix itself...quote

pardon .. i do not know the cut and paste for just a segment

this country operates on the Padron system. The wealthy are expected to drop money for the poor. this is the trickle down Captialistic system here.

Same in Haiti... although they would not aPPROACH a foreigner there and ask.. never me, for instance. For me they have to do an entire NGO presentation of a project
which they do.

But here.. well..

the international community used to call the elite in Haiti the Morally Repugnant Elite becasue the country is so poor. But I have never found them so in Haiti.. have found them always courteous at least to me and all foreigners. The service in hotels is immpeccable. Sure there is MASSIVE garbage on the street even before the earth quake.. the pigs are eating it.

But for Morally Repugnant Elite.. this country wins the prize

And I have heard that from Foreigners who MARRIED into it

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
It s unfair to generalize. Where are you in the DR...? Maybe you should leave as it seems highly unlikely you will ever " forgive " the DR for being what it is......Most I have met in my 7 years going back and forth are nothing like you describe, in fact, I swear. if it weren't for the fact you posted this on the DR1 forum, I would swear you were talking about some other country.... I have witnessed them working the hills in the north tending the tobacco for 10 bucks, all day long, and on building sites from 7 till 7 for 1500 pesos a day. They are not lazy. Jobs aren t always there. They are proud, but hunger makes you do things you would not normally do. .I am sure you have it better than the vast majority of Dominicans. What 's the big deal giving a few pesos? so it s happened before, so what,..?.. maybe he was being opportunistic, or He may very well have been hungry and needed some help.,,,, we dont always help,coming over to the DR flashing our wallets in front of people who make less in a week than I would pay for a cheap meal at Applebees..who would blame them for thinking we are rolling in green.......I have seen despicable behaviour from Americans and Brits in the DR... You are missing out on so much in this country. The sheer beauty of spirit of those that live in the campo, in spite of the harshest of conditions. They still smile and greet fervently and never make me feel like I owe them something because I have more...You really need to step out and see more, I feel you are being shortchanged if you're feeling that someone asking you for money is ruining your Dominican experience.

fix itself...

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

You have a wife? You've previously posted that you are a single 28 year old woman and that you were looking to meet a Dominican man.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
well i do not care if she he is a 40 year old cross dresser

the points he made are valid or at least interesting so let us not get off the track

the Blue Mall, for instance, now knows how two gringos see it.. so that could be useful to them

i think that we are all hoping that things improve here and attacking a poster who may be having a REALLY bad day

*it is a flu,, it is going around

that is not going help with the problem

he did say it was a love affair and lots of us are in love with the country

maybe we need a mars venus forum for the DR itself>> how i love thee, how i hate thee,,,

i wonder how the evil that walked this island for years.. the slavery, the dictatorships, the wars.. really a very troubled past.

but somehow i am just bat **** in love with both these countries.

maybe we all just love this island and eVERYONE wants her.. they have for years.

so maybe we can figure out how to help make it safe for folks with money and good intentions..if there are any

which i begin to doubt////

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Horrible comments saying Dominicans are nasty garbage with no pride!!! All because of asking for a bit of $$? So, in your own country there are no homeless, or poor people in need?? Hmm a perfect place you come from my friend! Unfair to paint all Dominicans with same brush!! Im hoping that you just had a bad day and need to vent.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Horrible comments saying Dominicans are nasty garbage with no pride!!! All because of asking for a bit of $$? So, in your own country there are no homeless, or poor people in need?? Hmm a perfect place you come from my friend! Unfair to paint all Dominicans with same brush!! Im hoping that you just had a bad day and need to vent.
where the op is talking about is the ritzy section of town

like right near the Savoy or Harrods

one does not have beggers by the Savoy does one?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
The begging is taught from very young.
As I was walking to the hair salon a child approached me, maybe 10 or 11 years old and she says to me "Morena, tiene 10 pesos que me puede regalar?"
I did give her 10 pesos but it goes to show you that it is taught to them early.

SHALENA

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I had a panhandler.. which is what we call some in NYC who do the begger;s art

on fifth avenue..

he was witty.. i gave him a buck..

he said

A BUCK!?!??? do you have any idea how expensive it is to live here on the street>??????

i gave him another for the wit

Status
Not open for further replies.