watch HULU, netflix and pandora outside USA (easy method)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I use google chrome as web browser and then i installed media hint extension (free) to get my hulu, netflix and pandora radio activated (american proxy). This method does not seem to effect the speed of the internet and everything seems normal. This extension works as soon as you turn on chrome browser. its works in the back ground and is only fine tuned for the following sites listed above. It does not give you full american proxy experience but it does show netflix in HD along with pandora and hulu. Its simple and works like a charm. Most of all, its free.

www.mediahint.com

now you all owe me a beer. Oh wait, i don't drink alcohol. so enjoy it.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you pay a few bucks and install HideMyAss (HMA), you can share your WiFi connection as if it's coming from a USA IP. That way all the wireless devices can connect via a USA based IP address, TV, iPad, Laptops, XBox, PS3 etc. In addition, if you activate the load sharing in HMA, you will always have the fastest USA IP relative to your location.

Plus...

You can do the same with the huge list of UK IP's they have, that way all you BBC / ITV fans can stream iPlayer, ITV etc. HMA have 40,000+ IP's in 53 different countries :)

I'm on a 5MB connection with Claro and stream NetFlix, XBox Live, BBC iPlayer to my 40" Sony and it looks great!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks Aftab. It also works in Firefox, which is my preferred browser. Listening to my Pandora account for the first time in many years without using a Proxy right now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Even techno challenged me can do it ---- OK, it took 3 tries but I got it.

Logged into my Pandora account and 'Voila'--- added Jose Luis Perales to my list.

Muchas gracias AZB......... movies next if the bandwidth allows. Any tips on that??

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Even techno challenged me can do it ---- OK, it took 3 tries but I got it.

Logged into my Pandora account and 'Voila'--- added Jose Luis Perales to my list.

Muchas gracias AZB......... movies next if the bandwidth allows. Any tips on that??

i use my netflix account with ease. Movies come in HD quality. I have 4 meg download internet plan.
remember, you can get latin amerian netflix in DR but the quantity of movies and programs are very limited. The american version is the real deal with a ton of movies and programs to satisfy anyone's taste.
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
...true all that, but wouldn't you be burning through the Claro/Orange data plan in just a few days? Is there such thing as unlimited data internet in The DR?...Well I mean without paying through the nose.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
...true all that, but wouldn't you be burning through the Claro/Orange data plan in just a few days? Is there such thing as unlimited data internet in The DR?...Well I mean without paying through the nose.

you are talking about cell data plan. we are talking about DSL type plans. this is unlimited and fast and stable.
AZB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
DSL isn't available where I am...... I'm working on it.

Netflix doesn't seem to have the current season..... just the past ones

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012

Claro DSL. I buy it from a reseller in Las Terrenas who distributes it wirelessly.

I use a paid service called Witopia to access IP-restricted content. The challenge is that when VPN services use static IP addresses, the content providers can eventually blacklist them.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
If you pay a few bucks and install HideMyAss (HMA), you can share your WiFi connection as if it's coming from a USA IP. That way all the wireless devices can connect via a USA based IP address, TV, iPad, Laptops, XBox, PS3 etc. In addition, if you activate the load sharing in HMA, you will always have the fastest USA IP relative to your location.

Plus...

You can do the same with the huge list of UK IP's they have, that way all you BBC / ITV fans can stream iPlayer, ITV etc. HMA have 40,000+ IP's in 53 different countries :)

I'm on a 5MB connection with Claro and stream NetFlix, XBox Live, BBC iPlayer to my 40" Sony and it looks great!
Robert, Ive been looking into this. Could you give me a bit more details on how to do this? When you say share your Wifi connection do you need a Wifi Router with VPN capabilities? Or can you do this without? Cheers.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert, Ive been looking into this. Could you give me a bit more details on how to do this? When you say share your Wifi connection do you need a Wifi Router with VPN capabilities? Or can you do this without? Cheers.

Take a look at their HMA help section, it's excellent.

HideMyAss Wiki - Connection Instructions

You create an AdHoc network on your laptop or PC.
As your laptop, iPad, Android or PC is on a HMA IP, it shares that IP wirlessley.

If you want to go the router route, look at the link below.

HideMyAss Wiki - Router configuration

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Take a look at their HMA help section, it's excellent.

HideMyAss Wiki - Connection Instructions

You create an AdHoc network on your laptop or PC.
As your laptop, iPad, Android or PC is on a HMA IP, it shares that IP wirlessley.

If you want to go the router route, look at the link below.

HideMyAss Wiki - Router configuration

Ok, I thought of an adhoc a while ago but was a bit against it cause I would have to leave my laptop on at all times to act like the router. I will see if I can install DD-WRT or TOMATO firmware on any of the routers I have available.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know what is hulu, netflix and pandora. i just know it would be nice to watch BBC1 and BBC2 again...

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Robert - can you switch between US IP and UK IP as many times as you want on HMA?
I'm using StrongVPN and it's limited to X many times a month.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012

Plus...

Now I can play Call of Duty with no lag! :)

Jan 17, 2009
Or, you can use SmartDNS (not a VPN) and share in all your devices. I've been using it with my iPad, Apple TV. Mynusbands windows computer and my iMac. Works great o watch Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon video, etc. Cost $4.95 a month.