CEDULA RENEWAL ? ANYONE KNOW how soon before expiration u can RENEW?

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Looking to find out if anyone can relate if there is any precedent, how much time is allowed previous to expiration to renew Cedula for gringo ? i looked up on govt site and found my expiration date , however no info if you can renew before ? Have no desire to travel there and be told xvfhnxxxxyui and have to return . Thanks

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I really don't know. But something tells me they'll do it at anytime. I don't think they'll refuse those early 5k....

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
You will never be asked to produce your Cedula by Migracion. You only need your Residency Card.

Looking to find out if anyone can relate if there is any precedent, how much time is allowed previous to expiration to renew Cedula for gringo ? i looked up on govt site and found my expiration date , however no info if you can renew before ? Have no desire to travel there and be told xvfhnxxxxyui and have to return . Thanks

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
I had my cedula renewed last week. My old one expired in 2012. What I did not know is that it expires on your birthday.
In my case this is May 23. So I had to pay RD500.- for every month of expiration eg RD3500.- plus RD1000.- for every year until the expiry of the new cedula.
They are now synchronizing this with the expiry of your residencia.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Yes this what i think is true about the cedula renewal . I was hoping someone had tried to renew prior to its expiration and was successful I had my residency renewed in early july , and it is not synched with the residency .

Last edited:

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
went the day after my birthday to renew my cedula.
At the first office, they reviewed everything and sent me to the cash desk.
I paid, got my ticket and walked into the photo room.
The camera man explained to me that even though it had the expiry date as my birthday, because of limitations of their computer software, the real expiry date was the end of december, 6 months later. That meant it was two years to the day after it was previously renewed. He also told me that there wasn't anyway to renew before it had expired. He was kind enough to tape a small note with the date on to the barcode side of the cedula.
The girl at the cash desk returned my money without any problem.

I returned in january, no fine to pay, and the cedula was renewed, this time for four years (in line with renewed residency).

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Yes this what i think is true about the cedula renewal . I was hoping someone had tried to renew prior to its expiration and was successful I had my residency renewed in early july , and it is not synched with the residency .

What "they" refer to as in "sync" with your residency is that it has the same validity in number of years as your residency, not the same expiration date.

Dominican definition of in sync., which is different then anywhere else on Earth.

"R"

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
You cannot renew your cedula early...you can't even renew it on the day it expires. It has to be the day after. You can renew your residency up to 30 days in advance of its expiration. I just went through the process and the cedula office actually processed mine on the day it expired by changing the running date in the computer temporarily. I think they only did it for me because they had already had to send me back to migration once that day because migration had mixed up my residency number with my sister's.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Yes thanks this is what i needed to know ! I wondered if you went on the the day of its expiration if they would do it .But now i will wait till the next day You saved me a trip !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes thanks this is what i needed to know ! I wondered if you went on the the day of its expiration if they would do it .But now i will wait till the next day You saved me a trip !

What do you bet they make you pay a late fee?

Only in the DR..