Weather in Las Galeras

masmar

Jan 21, 2013
I am getting mixed information on weather. Some things I've read said if it rains it will only be for a few minutes then clear up. Other things I've read said it can rain for three days straight. What's up and do I need my rain coat? Thanks! Also I am going January 31-February 5.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If you have foul weather gear and room in your bag i would bring it.. often it showers off and on.. but that Atlantic Coast can be harsh plus Samana has the most rainfall.. A good poncho .. will do it. Mine is from Walmarts, i thnk.. that covers me if i have to take a moto concho.

The roads will be muddy as they are not paved

But I doubt that it rains .. well.. it can rain in Las Terrenas for three days

bring your kindle

it is still breath taking and the cove will remain calm.. you can take boat trips from there.

it is gorgeous

with lots of Europeans .. so it will be interesting no matter what the weather

good food, iinternet cafe... no worries

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
That is not true. The roads have been paved for over a year. Also good drainage ditches, lines on the road, and road signs. It is a very nice drive now.
The weather is unpredictable. It is supposed to rain the whole month of May, however I was there in May last year and it did not rain one day.
Showers can pop up anytime.
Enjoy!

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
It's the tropics !...

if your afraid of getting wet (or can't) bring a light rain proof jacket, by the way... the rains warm!.

masmar

Jan 21, 2013
It's the tropics !...

if your afraid of getting wet (or can't) bring a light rain proof jacket, by the way... the rains warm!.

Haha I live in the pacific northwest so I am certainly not afraid of rain, just hoping it doesn't follow me on my vacation :surprised

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Spin the dial. You may get a week of sunshine or rain. It's a crap shoot. Be prepared for changing weather. A few Cuba Libres will make you forget it.

LTSTeve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was there last week.....beautifully paved roads.

Isn't Las Galeras the northernmost point on Hispaniola ??

faer

Jan 6, 2005
hi, just a couple of questions....
i'll be arriving las terrenas this saturday...along with my family and 2 more couples...just wondering how the weather has been the last few days....
also, what about the whales?...are there yet?...the kids are way too enthusiastic on this particular daytrip...any recommendation on whom to contact?
finally, anyone knows if the omaha gourmet shop still opens in las terrenas? is there a butcher o place where to buy good meat?

thanks...

francisco...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Fransico;

The weather has been great this week in LT. The Omaha Shop is open and has moved a couple of store fronts down from where is was. Same plaza. Whale watching is fun but if anyone is prone to sea sickness, especiailly the kids I would think twice about it. Google Kim Beddall whale watching. She is a scientist who has been studying the whales for many years. She has a decent size boat. If you don't want to whale watch there is also a zip line tour, Samana Zip line Tour & Excursions Dominican Republic. It is about 20 minutes outside of Samana City heading towards Playa Valle. There is sometime decent meat and chicken at Supermarcado Lindo, which is the main store in town. If you have a vehicle go to Louis'Restaurant in on the beach in Coson. Great food, very informal. You can swim while you wait for lunch or have drinks. The best cut of meat the I have found in LT is called fillet de rez, which is similar to a tenderloin. Good for grilling. Good luck.

LTSteve

faer

Jan 6, 2005
thanks JonyTuga and LT STeve for all your advice....nice to now there are options for getting stuffed!!...i already placed and order on alsuper.com.do to be delivered to a friend of mine in sto domingo with some basics and specialty items requested by the general management (AKA Wifes)...
finally we are just a few days from well deserved vacations ...we decided to rent cars for the whole stay (we are 3 famlies), not expensive, $900 for a brand new Kia Sportage from Budget for 17 days!!!!...