New import tariffs for automobiles

D

Duarte

Can anyone explain the new import tariffs for automobiles? I have been reading how cars with a value from 0 to 10,000 are exempt from import duties, etc. I'm very confused about this, and would love some explanation if anybody here knows what are the real laws. Also is it still prohibited to bring in cars older than 5 years old or did they change that rule too?

D

DR1

Cars up to US$15,000 are exempt from paying the Selective Tax on Consumption (ISC) which is an additional tax to the normal GATT established tax on vehicles. The ISC will apply on the amount above that amount. Cars older than five years are by law banned from import. I do not know if Customs is making exemptions. They have not changed the rule.

If you are a returning Dominican, the best car to bring in would be one that would qualify for the 60% discount (5 years registered in your name) and whose purchase value is less than US$15,000. That would pay the least tax.

Given the new taxes, it is possible that some new vehicles will pay in taxes more than their purchase cost.