Flights from Europe, is it cheaper to fly and stay at AI resort than buy tickets?

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
I have seen offers on expedia which show AI resorts stays on the North Coast (incl. flights) to be cheaper than the price of a regular plane ticket.

I'm interested in finding out about flights from France mostly.
Looks like XL Airways has flights on certain days (ex: Thursday's) during a specific period of the year (Jan-Apr) that are direct from Marseille or Bordeaux.

Otherwise, it seems that most flights go through the US.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
if your question is .. is this correct or possible,

there were two flights a week into Catey from Europe which have stopped now since the last Italian all inclusive closed. Folks whom I know who flew in from Europe paid less than a regular flight..for hotel lincluded but those were charters.

but even Punta cana probably offers package discounts since the airlines want to fill their planes.

Feb 7, 2007
Depends on whom you fly and when. Most package holidays from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc. use Condor or Air Berlin as their carrier. I flew in on Condor in January, flight only and OW, and it was 330 Euros including taxes and 250 Euros for a Child. That's for 12-hour flight. So if you ask whether a package holidays may be cheaper than a single flight, the answer is maybe, sometimes, depends. Usually MAYBE during off-peak season. We are in peak season now so even hotels charge double or even triple what they charge in off-season, so January through May, the answer would be NO.

mustang88

Jun 19, 2010
was at grand paradise samana last week....lots of french people there, but i do not know if they flew direct into el catey or not

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i guess it depends on where you come from... just the flight form london to POP is about the same price as flight and hotel deal...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I flew into PUJ from Brussels for ?190 in September. You can get A/I packages on the Northcoast for ?550 for a week, you won't do that anywhere else I don't think.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
In the past, I looked for flights from Paris to DR for my young nephew to come with us on vacations, it was so expensive that it was the same price or cheaper to have him fly to NYC where I live, then get a separate ticket from NYC to DR.I know that some Parisians take the Thalys to Brussels but obviously it wasn't an option for him.
If I were you I would go through Travel agencies such as Go-voyage or Nouvelles frontieres, they may have better deals with unsold seats on flights destined for package tourists.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
hmm... at least there are some more options but it doesn't seem to be that easy (or cheap) to fly from Europe (or France).