Is Juan Dolio a good alternative?

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
If you're staying in Santo Domingo, is JD worth checking out? How does the area compare to the other well-known beach areas (LT, PC, Cabarete, etc.)?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Weekends it gets a lot of Doms, but through the week it is mostly ghostly, you can walk down onto the beach and not see anyone for as far as the eye can see. High season ((I have no idea what is high and low season and so I wouldn't know any better) might be much different, but on the occasions over the last year I've been over there this has been my experience.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the beach at juan dolio is a bit artificial, they have been working on the rip tide issue...I have never swum there.

but there are a couple of great beaches on the way out there. Punta Cana will take you four hours from the Capital by bus and LT will take you three. Juan Dolio is less than an hour from SD, i think. Anyway, it is an easy day trip

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think peoples opinions of beaches varies so much there should be an international description key so people know what they are going to. I've heard people say Bavaro/Punta cana beaches are nice, even Guyacanes as above, and I'd put them very very low on my best beach list and JD way above just because it is vacant and there is space to do as you wish, even bath without leaving someone sit security on your belongings.

IMO JD isn't worth the drive, head the other way out of SD and you will find some little gems along the coast. Shipwrecks and real beach bars, real rustic beach cooking etc.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
a lot depends on if you want to really swim. I found that I could not swim at Nayao because it was too rocky. Juan Dolio has a rip tide, Andres is too shallow. Boca Chica too dirty. Punta cana pretty boring. Las Terrenas at Punto Poppy the best .. even snorkel from the beach if the wind is not too high. So I guess we should ask the OPs what they are looking for.

The first beach out of SD is Playa Caribe which is a surfer beach.. very high surf and would be really interesting for an afternoon but there are no facilities so you have to pack a picnic

Now, they have tables and umbrellas all over Guayacanes so if is not as nice as it used to be. Maybe in the week days but weekends it will be paved with people.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you're staying in Santo Domingo you might want to consider going west instead, to Playa Palenque. It's about 50 minutes away. You'll pass Playa Najayo first, which is rocky but pretty, but noisy and very Dominican. Playa Palenque is maybe 10 more minutes down the road, go to the end [which they call Cocolandia] and you will be very happy. There you'll find families, both Dominican and European, and a stray American sometimes. Good food on the beach too, and they will not charge you for using their tables.

We get our food from either Elidania or Dona Mary.