Looking for Apartment to Rent, Santo Domingo

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
let me know please

hi when you find it so cheap please let me know i will appreciated I'm paying 700 in bella vista which is near gazcue thanks guy
I am looking for apartment to rent. Gazcue area. US $200.00 - 300.00 Month. 2 Bedroom, 2Bath. 2nd Floor. Hot and cold water, UN furnished.

Please let me know

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
you will not find anything in the area of Gazcue that I am in for that price. I paid that rent for a studio with kitchen 6 years ago and the building was infested with rats. Maybe another neighborhood or closer to UNIBE and Maximo Gomez up by 27. I am in the section called Primavera. But I think that your price range is going to put you across the river and even then you will have trouble.. in that , you will not be in Gazcue este which is Alama Rosa.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You'll probably need to come over the east side to find anything nice at that price. Not gringo friendly over here though, so bring your spanish, dancing shoes and war paint.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Why do you prefer Gazcue over Naco?

I was waiting for Sax to answer but he did not. So I will just say that for me, Gazcue has everything I need within walking distance without having to cross a huge street like Lincoln or Churchill. Very little of the west side of town is walkable. It is all designed for life in a car. Gazcue has the old streets, the old trees, interesting architecture and everything that is needed for a quiet life. It has the 6000 volume English library, variious hotel swimming poolm .. everything in a very walkable neighborhood feel. The rest of the city does not have that scale.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I have to admit, Naco is a sh1t hole for getting about, it is not pedestrian friendly or even car friendly. On top of that it is horrendous with development pollution, every block has major building work going on, ugly, noisey, dirty (so is the rest of town but naco is supposed to be better than the rest, lol. I don't really like much of Gazcue either, just because it seems to struggle with where it is exactly, but I'd rather live there than Naco. If you have to get in your car just to cross the street then it doesn't matter where you live, it's a car journey. And besides that, Colmado prices are about 20% more than anywhere else around the city, for me, Naco is just a contradiction of what it is supposed to be, the classy part of town, it's anything but IMO.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
My neighborhood,. which is called Primavera.. from Socco Sanchez to about the Clinic Abreu.. borderd by Gomez and Bolivar.. is evidently the most desirable for ex pats. All of the apartment prices are set in dollars. Most all of the apartments are rented out furnished. Guess they are counting on a generation of monger Baby Boomers and did not get the notice that we Baby Boomers had all the free sex that we wanted in days between the pill and HIV.

Now they want $900 a month for two bedroom boxes that are really tiny. Some of it is amazingly bad architecture. I saw one apartment where the main bathroom had an open partition to the living room. It was one family who owned it and the guy evidently had been some sort of builder in Miami. It was built in the new style of Mediterranean blue glass..

Has anyone ever lived in one of those? Does the blue glass cut out the heat?

Anyway they are not for me since I need to probably leave the neighborhood so that the new crop of ... welll.. i was going to say "suckers" but that would be unkind.

I do not know how it is that all the prices are quoted in dollars but I know some middle class Dominicans who will not even look at an apartment which is priced in dollars// since they earn in pesos.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I won't look at anything in dollars, cars, homes anything. If people are pricing in Dollars it is usually because the person who has financed it, built it, bought it is living in the US and renting through an agent or relative, and so to get authorization to fix anything can take a long time.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Folks that quote in dollars usually have "rich unsuspecting gringo signs" in their eyes.

I agree, it irritates me to see things priced in US$ here, just another reminder of Dominicans involvement with the US rather than their own country.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
If this who is mostly locating to the DR?

I was sorta joking. I do not know who they are expecting to rent with the prices that have soared in Gazcue. They have built new little condos here./. there is a height limit to six stories, I believe. The new places are all quite small.. and prices in the new buildiings, are naturally higher to cover construction costs. So now folks with the older apartments want higher rents as well. I guess this is normal but I wonder where the folks are who are going to pay the prices since Gazcue is hard to get to from the center of commerce over near Lincoln.

The US Embassy is still scheduled to move, I think. And lots of the NGOs who are clustered around the Embassy will probably go with them. That, at least, it what happened in Haiti near the new US Embassy.

Maybe it is just politicos..

But most Dominicans find Gazcue to be too dirty and old .. they prefer the spiffy areas of Naco and Piantini.
And most of the apartments here in Gazcue are being rented out furnished.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
But most Dominicans find Gazcue to be too dirty and old .. they prefer the spiffy areas of Naco and Piantini.
And most of the apartments here in Gazcue are being rented out furnished.
That is one of the reasons I initially asked about Naco, plus I have an African-American friend who purchased a penthouse apartment in Naco and he seems to like it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Naco is another world to me. I probbaly would move to Puerto Plata before I moved there. It is another city. Highrises, and built for cars.

Gazcue is a little village with little streets and street life.

I grew up in Greenwhich Village of the 60s and this area reminds me of there.

There are still places in the Zona that I could go and thrive.

I like the artistic bohemian... that is what is happening. just like in NYC when the uptown crowd wanted to be closer to the artists and so came to the Village which is now all NYU and fern bars and Balducci. Not that I do not adore Balducci.

I saw it in Asheville. Pretty soon
New York will be here.

And Naco.. well.. not for me. I am of the Bohemian Village crowd.

Actually I think I would go to Villa Mella perhaps even before Puerto Plata