Budget travel

maleru

Jan 18, 2013
Is there a section I am missing for budget minded travelers? I can not afford all inclusives or $40 nights for 30 days while traveling, and while my hosteling experience in the DR has been mixed at best, it seems to me that most of the suggestions I get fall outside my roughly $60 a day budget...which aside from the hellhole of Punta Cana, has been more or less manageable, with a few excursion exceptions.
Most developing countries can be traveled on $30 a day fairly comfortably, I guess I wonder why the DR seems so much more expensive? I think its time to start spreading the word that budget travelers look elsewhere as overcharging and tourist exploitation seem to be the norm around here.
Hoping the mountains change my mind!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Saman? is a lovely part of the DR to visit and it has some budget options, they have been mentioned here recently e.g. El Cabito in Las Galeras. Another possibility would be the SW - Barahona and Pedernales have inexpensive places to stay geared at eco-travellers.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would not advise back packers or folks on less than one hundred dollars a day to travel here unless they do not mind the business hotels by the bus station.. even those are ten bucks. The country is not set up for backpacking. But try buying le petit fute which is the French backpacking guide. Even Lonely Planet gave up and started including the All inclusives. Which is hardly like them....

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Is there a section I am missing for budget minded travelers? I can not afford all inclusives or $40 nights for 30 days while traveling, and while my hosteling experience in the DR has been mixed at best, it seems to me that most of the suggestions I get fall outside my roughly $60 a day budget...which aside from the hellhole of Punta Cana, has been more or less manageable, with a few excursion exceptions.
Most developing countries can be traveled on $30 a day fairly comfortably, I guess I wonder why the DR seems so much more expensive? I think its time to start spreading the word that budget travelers look elsewhere as overcharging and tourist exploitation seem to be the norm around here.

Buiy a sun lamp, 2 pounds of beans and rice and add some plants where you live and you will enjoy the same experience with no money.

You could hop on a green peace sailing vessel but they feed their volunteers less than you could imagine.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You should have come here before you set off, there is no secret that residents consider this country often to be more expensive to live in than where they have left behind. I know the only thing cheaper here than the UK is the roof over my head. No one moved here for the budget living, there is very little in the way of budget tourism also. Get your credit card out, at least enjoy the time you have, no fun leatherfooting DR, hot, confusing, hot, dangerous, hot and expensive.:pirate:

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Take local transport to less visited provincial capitals (e.g., Cotui in Sanchez Ramirez, Sabaneta in Santiago Rodriguez). Choose the towns farthest from the "polos turisticos", usually center-west part of the country. Secondary towns of the provinces also work well if serving surrounding farm lands, as in the whole of the Cibao valley from Manzanillo (Papillo Salcedo) to Guaraguao.

There will be cheap and decent meals and lodging which support the agro-industry reps and outlying farmers that come in for trading. In such towns you will find welcoming and respectable people in a wholesome environment. You will often find well travelled and educated residents who have returned home to live a better life running a modest business, banking or doctoring.

When you've done that town, hop onto a 'guagua' and truck on over to the next like it. If you don't choose to settle down there, that is.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Budget

You are beginning to clue in.
The DR is neither cheap nor interested in budget travellers.
They already have enough poor people,what would be the gain?
As in any "developing" country of course it can be done.
Cheap local transport,food and accommodation can be found.

Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand and Malaysia are better choices.
Of course there is Central America and S.America.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

Since everybody have different idea or mindset what "budget travel" is, but I have to agree on DR isn't for the ones that are used to slurping best tasting noodle soup for $1.50 for lunch and get pounded on $2 local liquor while staying $7.50 room. In my experience I haven't seen an island country that is cheap or can be comfortable traveled on budget. Because almost everything that we are granted for in rest of the world isn't cheap in island countries because just like in DR everything is either imported or locally manufactured with imported stuff hence price have to be adjusted to near import pricing. If you are looking for budget travel, I suggest to stay in continents, because your money will certainly get more mileage there.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
You'll soon be hearing from Yapaski/Yannadu/Pi2/Whatever, our resident ultra-survivalist, who will tell you that a person can live like a king for only $400 a month (provided you like seaweed soup and don't mind making your shoes out of banana leaves.)

My advice is simple: if you insist on the DR (versus, say Costa Rica, or somewhere in SEA,) you'll need more money. If you can't raise the additional cash, consider cutting down your trip to only two weeks. You'll have a far better overall experience.

Good luck.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The Caribbean is not known to be a budget travel destination. But, the DR is in my opinion the closest you would get to it.

maleru

Jan 18, 2013
Punta Cana is walls and resorts, clogging the beautiful beaches. I'm afraid that what has happened there will spread, as they are currently building on Playa Grande and the development of Cabarete seems to be slowly spreading, though at least Cabarete allows beach access from every business, and encourages visits from non-residents, if the country has GOT to build, I hope we see more like Cabarete and less like Punta Cana. Some people come to the DR for natural beauty, which no longer exists when you can see resorts on the horizon. The biggest shame is how many of these buildings are speculative, sitting empty ruining the scenery for some probable foreign investor's profit. That little diatribe aside, I do respect the number of parks the DR has set aside, hopefully the enforcement against those slowly encroaching on the borders becomes more strict in the coming years.

Update, the mountains have changed my mind! Apart from the ever present whistles from Moto drivers, the people here seem less intent on milking me dry. I think all I needed was a few days away from the crowded beaches. Also a very nice Haitian Moto driver in Punta Cana told me that he had to be honest, and the cheapest way for me to get to my bus was to take the Gua-gua, and since I had plenty of time, there was no reason to pay 6 times as much for his moto. I tipped him for his help.