Buying used car..What are the fees and process. Help quick please!!

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
I am wanting to buy a used car tomorrow and am just wanting to know what to expect(process/fees) to complete the transaction. I know a lawyer has to be involved and is there a transfer tax??

Help please

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My dealer looked after it for me. I had no lawyer.

My salesman was Victor in Sto Domingo 809-416-7660........ he can explain the costs to you.
I do not recall the fees being onerous.

Excellent service

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
If you buy from a dealer you won't need a lawyer but it is recommended that you take your mechanic of trust to check out the car of your interest. If you buy a used car from someone there's going to be a lawyer involved and you'll still need the mechanic. In this case, the buyer usually pays for the fee for the the contract and also the charges for the paperwork transfer. Don't buy someone whose matricula isn't under his/her name!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Since it was private transfer I went through with lawyer. I am guessing the taxes are depending on year/make/price? But I think I spent $35000 for whole process.

Lawyers prepared the contract signed and I got the paper in about two week.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A dealer deal is done in an afternoon...........
The big delay was waiting for the wired money to arrive.

Once it hit the bank, I took the bus to SD, signed papers and drove home.

I went twice to the dealer - test drive and pick up for home.
All the rest by e-mail and phone.

Couldn't be simpler.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
A dealer deal is done in an afternoon...........
The big delay was waiting for the wired money to arrive.

Once it hit the bank, I took the bus to SD, signed papers and drove home.

I went twice to the dealer - test drive and pick up for home.
All the rest by e-mail and phone.

Couldn't be simpler.

In my case lawyer route was easier.
My secretary emailed copied cedula/passport and copied title along with sales information.
Prepared and sent us the contract, signed, sent both originals contract and title and it was done.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I bought at a dealer in Santiago in November. I saw it on the internet, went to see it, drove it for a test, looked over it top to bottom. Made the deal with the dealer,paid him and within an hour was driving away with insurance. A couple days later I picked up the ownership documents. Couldn?t have been any easier. Dealer paid all transfer fees which he said came to about 8000 pesos

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was nervous initially, but as you two say, its so easy.

Title, transfer, insurance........... it may be the best service I have experienced in RD.

Victor Hugo..... 809-416-7660

deepdiver

Jun 18, 2011
well ive had 4 cars up to date bought and also sold privately never used a lawyer ,i dont want one in my name so never paid a transfer taxes

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was nervous initially, but as you two say, its so easy.

Title, transfer, insurance........... it may be the best service I have experienced in RD.

Victor Hugo..... 809-416-7660

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I DO, like to get a grip on myself, from time-to-time!
Like Charleston Heston said to the NRA convention, "I'll Give Up My "GUN" when they pry it out of my cold, dead hand! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
CC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The best grip you get is on those groceries we keep hearing about......

Don't squeeze the bananas and don't drop the eggs.....:rambo:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
First, are you buying from a car dealer or a private individual. As stated, if you are buying from a dealer they will help with the paperwork transaction. If you are buying from a private individual then in order to protect yourself you will need to have a lawyer involved. You need an attorney to draw up a contract between the two parties, the sales contract. You need to take, or have your attorney take a copy of the title to the local police station to get them to give you a form that the car has not been stolen. You also have to get insurance coverage. Once you have your documents together than you need to go to motor vehicle with your attorney to the get the title transferred into your name. I am not sure what the total fees are. There is a transfer tax to change the title. In a private sale, I would suggest you have your attorney complete the transaction with motor vehicle. It will be much simpler and you will be sure it's done properly and the title is now in your name.

LTSteve