Documents required to open bank account for foreigner with cedula

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I've got a question that is driving me absolutely crazy and I would really appreciate any input from people who have knowledge on this topic.

To renew my permanent residency, I must prove solvency by showing a certain amount of money in a Dominican bank account. I don't have an account right now and need to open one. Any lawyer/advisor I've ever spoken to has given me a completely different answer to this simple question:

What documents are required to open a (USD or EUR) savings account for a foreigner with a valid Dominican cedula and permanent residency permit?

Some say it's sufficient to bring the cedula and passport, while others give a long list of required letters of reference from employers, business contacts, attorneys, banks, etc..

Can anyone please help with this?! Thank you!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You never KNOW, until you GO!!!!!
Like everything else here, it depends on where, when, how, etc.
I suggest you visit the bank of your choice.
Take your passport,cedula, and residency proof with you.
See what happens, then take the needed actions.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 7, 2007
And if one bank doesn't open your account (or make sit difficult) just go to another one... or even a different branch of the same bank. I have heard that Progresso and Banreservas are easy on the requirements, Leon now does background check (not credit check) I was told with DNCD and DEA... I just smiled when the officer told me so after I asked about why she said to a Russian customer that his account opening would be completed within 7 to 10 business days.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
bank account ID

I've never heard of anyone ever needing anything beyond a cedula or passport to open a bank account - dollar or peso. The other documents come into play depending on what you try to do with the account (anything more than deposits, withdrawals, and transfers between accounts at the same bank). If you want to set up lines of credit or conduct real estate or other commercial transactions, you will need some of the other documents you mentioned. You may also need to come up with more ID to open a so-called "cuenta de nomina" or direct deposit payroll account.

And if one bank doesn't open your account (or make sit difficult) just go to another one... or even a different branch of the same bank. I have heard that Progresso and Banreservas are easy on the requirements, Leon now does background check (not credit check) I was told with DNCD and DEA... I just smiled when the officer told me so after I asked about why she said to a Russian customer that his account opening would be completed within 7 to 10 business days.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Progreso wanted a bank refernce letter in addition to cedula, etc..... that was all.

Scotia wanted past years tax returns.....

It does differ...............

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What's a "Tax Return"???? :p:p:p
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I "VOTE" for a living!!!!!
"Banco de Reservas" on average, is the easiest bank to open an account!
I mean, they gave ME a credit card!!!!

I've found getting a bank account in the DR to be one of the most frustrating things so far! We opened one today at Scotia Bank but we needed LOTS of documents on various things. I'm sure it must be easier if you have a Cedula?
I swear the requirements are different at every bank! The best way is just to go in and deal with it. It has taken us 3 visits and today took 3 hours. We have to go back again and deal with doing a wire transfer b/c they have to check into our references. Maybe it's more complicated b/c we are Canadian? I have no idea but i am glad it is almost done!

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I've found getting a bank account in the DR to be one of the most frustrating things so far! We opened one today at Scotia Bank but we needed LOTS of documents on various things. I'm sure it must be easier if you have a Cedula?
I swear the requirements are different at every bank! The best way is just to go in and deal with it. It has taken us 3 visits and today took 3 hours. We have to go back again and deal with doing a wire transfer b/c they have to check into our references. Maybe it's more complicated b/c we are Canadian? I have no idea but i am glad it is almost done!

Are you trying to open an account with services beyond those of a normal savings account?

I called around to a few banks in Santo Domingo, and the ones that had an English-speaking representative all told me that in order to open a USD or EUR savings account, all I will need to bring is my cedula and passport, and no other documents (even though I am not a Dominican citizen). Hopefully there won't be any surprises when I get there.

Cass Pierre Louis

Mar 3, 2016
hi!
i am planning on studying in the dominican rep i am haitian and will be studying on an american visa lol is it possible for me to open a bank account with just my passport? also planning on working at a call center because i speak perfect english and would like to know do i need a bank account there to cash a check if i cant open a bank account?

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
It was a long process for me. Banco Popular. I do not have a cedula. I needed a passport, letter of reference from my US bank, a letter from my employer, a letter from a current Banco Popular personal account holder and a reference from a Banco Popular business acount holder.

Are you trying to open an account with services beyond those of a normal savings account?

I called around to a few banks in Santo Domingo, and the ones that had an English-speaking representative all told me that in order to open a USD or EUR savings account, all I will need to bring is my cedula and passport, and no other documents (even though I am not a Dominican citizen). Hopefully there won't be any surprises when I get there.

Some banks you can open up accounts easy like that, it was not my experience with either Scotia or Popular. i do really love popular though and glad we have them as our bank.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
My first attempt at Ban Reservas I was told its not possible for a gringo to open an account here without a cedula. My second attempt at a different location with a fresh shave and nice button up shirt..
Got it done in about 20 minutes with just a passport and smaill deposit.
In this country no matter where you go or what you are trying to get done IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU DEAL WITH ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY. If at first you don?t succeed, just try again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Banking in a foreign country is becoming more difficult.

I have accounts in 4 countries... and am just adding my daughter to one of them.
The paperwork is burdensome....

Notarized copies of passports, and proof of address (Utility bill, driver's license, etc)
then the bank's forms..

Speaking to the bank, the caution was that it will only get worse....

They really don't like or are suspicious of a request to open an account in a foreign country.
In fact, one of the questions is
"why are you banking here?"........... right on the form along with source of funds etc.

Get used to it..... it won't go away

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I opened mine 4 or more years ago at Ban Reserves with $300.00 incoming deposit and a USA passport, and a live in girl friend who had no account in that bank, but was a life long Dominican, and 2 years later I opened another account same bank with my Haitian maid as the other account holder with no problem. But as others have said h=get your butt down to the bank and ask them what their requirements are.
Der Fish

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
wow i got one w/bank thats been open for ten years with no money in it but im leaving it as is...

DomCubAm

Oct 25, 2015
My first attempt at Ban Reservas I was told its not possible for a gringo to open an account here without a cedula. My second attempt at a different location with a fresh shave and nice button up shirt..
Got it done in about 20 minutes with just a passport and smaill deposit.
In this country no matter where you go or what you are trying to get done IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU DEAL WITH ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY. If at first you don?t succeed, just try again.

I agree, had the same exact scenario happen to me , lol

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
It's all about money laundering. It is in no way unique to the DR. Try opening an account in the UK as a citizen living in the country. You need proof of ID and proof of residency. Council tax bill for example.
Plus the American and Canadian governments tracking down tax avoiders/evaders.
Scotia wanted past years tax returns
I had a Peso account with Scotia. When I opened it with my Canadian passport they asked me if I wanted a USD account. At the time I said no I didn't need one. Then four years ago when I decided I did need one, the gal told me things had changed. Because Scotia bank is a Canadian bank, a banking official came to the DR and told Scotia bank that they must provide details of any Canadians banking in the DR. Reason being Scotia DR do not issue a T5 slip for interest earned and of course the Canadian Government like the American Government want to know who isn't paying their full share of tax. Being a dual national I immediately went along to Banco Leon as it was called then with my UK passport and opened Peso and USD accounts. Yes it did take at least a week to confirm because they definitely do a background search on you. But since opening with them I find their service great and especially their online banking.
Mack.