Thread: shellfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default shellfish

Are any fresh shellfish available anywhere in the domincan republic - like clams, oysters or mussels - not importe but fresh?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, oysters are commonly sold fresh in the shell and conch is very popular, typically sold as a "salad". Mussels are cold water species and not cultivated in the DR.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edgar View Post
    Are any fresh shellfish available anywhere in the domincan republic - like clams, oysters or mussels - not importe but fresh?
    I've gotten fresh oysters on the beach from vendors in both Juan Dolio and Las Terrenas. They've been exceptionally good, served with a nice homemade hot sauce and reasonably priced.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

why the hell ask this question in TECHNICAL HELP forum????????

5. Likes wuarhat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    why the hell ask this question in TECHNICAL HELP forum????????
    Can't you see he's newbie, lol

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I only eat the lambi, conch, when it has been cooked.. call me paranoid but I had a neighbor in LT get sick from the local oysters. They sell oysters from the bucket along the beach in Boca Chica so I am sure that if there were any problem with them the locals would have made it known.

I have only seen mussels from New Zealand, frozen imported here.

But the lambi.. the conch... ah..one of the gREAT delicacies. And with the Creole sauce..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bravo supermarket has Spanish mussels - 1kg is $450 pesos. They are absolutely perfect.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    I only eat the lambi, conch, when it has been cooked.. call me paranoid but I had a neighbor in LT get sick from the local oysters. They sell oysters from the bucket along the beach in Boca Chica so I am sure that if there were any problem with them the locals would have made it known.

I have only seen mussels from New Zealand, frozen imported here.

But the lambi.. the conch... ah..one of the gREAT delicacies. And with the Creole sauce..
    Can I ask if anyone knows why the conch here is darker in colour than the conch the vendors sell in fresh salad in the bahamas ?. The conch meat here tastes great when done in Vinegar, but I long for a salad with the bell peppers, tomato onion and lime juice. You also don't see the darkening around the lips of the conch.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you will find much in the way of imported shellfish here. Shrimp, oysters, conch is all brought in fresh everyday in Las Terrenas along with Dorado, Mero, Calimari and others.

LTSteve

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

you take a risk eating filter feeders in the civilized world where its point of origin is monitored. Eating it in the DR is extreme risky behavior. You can get really sick and die. Good luck.