shellfish

edgar

Dec 25, 2009
Are any fresh shellfish available anywhere in the domincan republic - like clams, oysters or mussels - not importe but fresh?

May 29, 2006
Yes, oysters are commonly sold fresh in the shell and conch is very popular, typically sold as a "salad". Mussels are cold water species and not cultivated in the DR.

Dec 26, 2011
Are any fresh shellfish available anywhere in the domincan republic - like clams, oysters or mussels - not importe but fresh?

I've gotten fresh oysters on the beach from vendors in both Juan Dolio and Las Terrenas. They've been exceptionally good, served with a nice homemade hot sauce and reasonably priced.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I only eat the lambi, conch, when it has been cooked.. call me paranoid but I had a neighbor in LT get sick from the local oysters. They sell oysters from the bucket along the beach in Boca Chica so I am sure that if there were any problem with them the locals would have made it known.

I have only seen mussels from New Zealand, frozen imported here.

But the lambi.. the conch... ah..one of the gREAT delicacies. And with the Creole sauce..

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Bravo supermarket has Spanish mussels - 1kg is $450 pesos. They are absolutely perfect.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I only eat the lambi, conch, when it has been cooked.. call me paranoid but I had a neighbor in LT get sick from the local oysters. They sell oysters from the bucket along the beach in Boca Chica so I am sure that if there were any problem with them the locals would have made it known.

I have only seen mussels from New Zealand, frozen imported here.

But the lambi.. the conch... ah..one of the gREAT delicacies. And with the Creole sauce..

Can I ask if anyone knows why the conch here is darker in colour than the conch the vendors sell in fresh salad in the bahamas ?. The conch meat here tastes great when done in Vinegar, but I long for a salad with the bell peppers, tomato onion and lime juice. You also don't see the darkening around the lips of the conch.:lick:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I don't think you will find much in the way of imported shellfish here. Shrimp, oysters, conch is all brought in fresh everyday in Las Terrenas along with Dorado, Mero, Calimari and others.

LTSteve

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you take a risk eating filter feeders in the civilized world where its point of origin is monitored. Eating it in the DR is extreme risky behavior. You can get really sick and die. Good luck.