Quiet, cheap vacation

adarack

Jan 28, 2013
I'm looking at flying into SDQ this weekend as a last minute trip for a week or so and was looking for some advice. I'm hoping to find some safe, small villages or quiet-ish towns. Not looking to go crazy partying but would love to have more of a cultural experience - good food, good people, near the ocean, potential fishing, not too touristy. Been scouring the forums and wanted to know what everyone would recommend. Will be staying in hostals & backpacking.
Thanks in advance.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
Hi, welcome lots of villages but you also want safety should be your first thing. I do the same thing on my vacation to the DR but I only stay on the North Coast not sure if that your thing but if so send me a PM!

adarack

Jan 28, 2013
Flight-wise, I'm using mileage points and the flight to SDQ is covered and seems like getting to the North Coast would take up a good chunk of time on a shorter trip. I'm looking at Las Galeras & the Samana area. Safety is definitely a concern, but hoping that avoiding going out alone at night, not dressing fancy, etc will assist in that.
I'll PM you James.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is way easier and faster to get from SD to the north coast than to las galeras, if you are using public transport. two biggest and safest travel companies have non stop buses on SD-POP ruta but las galeras will take you longer, the buses will be smaller and less safe and you will have to change.

adarack

Jan 28, 2013
it is way easier and faster to get from SD to the north coast than to las galeras, if you are using public transport. two biggest and safest travel companies have non stop buses on SD-POP ruta but las galeras will take you longer, the buses will be smaller and less safe and you will have to change.

Good to hear. Doing research but pretty last minute. What 2 companies are those and is there 1 of the 2 that you recommend more? Thanks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
caribe tours and metro. their buses are very big, comfortable, clean, air conditioned and very safe. they leave from SD to POP and a bit further, to sosua.
i prefer metro because the drivers are a bit more sane :)
Metro Servicios Turisticos

metro and caribe also go to samana but from there you'd have to take another bus to las galeras. in any case, this is your best traveling option.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
BE PREPARED TO FREEZE on buses especially Metro . Have long pants and something to wear knowing this !!!

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
Hi, very good question. I have travel to many parts of the DR and have seen a lot but I think that one of the many reasons are comfort with the people in places such as Sabeneta, GPH, RSJ and down to Nagua. I know I did not mention Sousa or Cabarete and POP just for me there is to many things going on at the same time in these place.:bandit:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Where are you flying from. From Canada or NYC you can fly directly into El Catey/ Samana Airport(AZS). That will put you about 30 minutes from Las Terrenas and about 1.5 hours from Las Galeras.

LTSTeve

adarack

Jan 28, 2013
Flying from Boston. Seems like LT/Samana to start out and figure things from there. Now just trying to decide if I want to spend a night in the city on the way into the country and on the way out, or just on the way out.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
stay in SD. zona colonial and national park tres ojos are worth visiting.

adarack

Jan 28, 2013
Sounds like a plan. Zona colonial sounds like a great area. What's the best outdoor market to checkout on Sundays?

Aug 6, 2006
Dressing fancy in a tropical country takes no more clothes than dressing casual. Just pack some no iron guayaberas and long pants.

My experience in the DR has never been that being out at night is particularly dangerous. I suppose you could pack some pepper spray for peace of mind.

Samana is nice, and there are more English speakers there than in other places.

You might check and see if your FF miles will get you to Santiago and Puerto Plata. By the way, the POP airport is closer to Sosua than Pto. Plata.

Out of SDQ, the Rough Guide suggests that one can take a motoconcho from SDQ to the highway, and catch a publico minivan from a car park there to Parque Enriquillo, and you can catch another minibus from there. This is if you arrive by day. That would save maybe $25-$30 in taxi fare.

The SDQ airport is closer to Boca Chica than it is to Santo Domingo.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Go to Las Galleras. From Samana-City with a local bus one hour. Daytime totally a safe trip. In LG you have all the peace you want, nice people, awesome landscape.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I live on the south coast. I visited Samana two years ago for three days and absolutely loved it. The tourist strip is a bit pricey, as that is where the visitors from the cruise ships walk around. But I had absolutely no qualms about walking on the malecon at night.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Ah yes, the malecon.
That is what's missing in Punta Cana.
Hard to believe that any government could be SO short-sighted as to not allow for one in the long term development plans.
What long term development plans you ask?
Oh yeah.