Lifes short: Live it as an adventure, were in our way leave as much advice as u want

Bernie Cyr

Banned
Jan 1, 2013
Ok less than 75 days now:cheeky: before we arrive in our new home (starting up north Sosua/Puerto Plata/Caberta).

Many questions of course, but like life we will take it as it comes. having lived before island life and elsewhere in the Caribbean, have no reservations about moving from (COLD) Canada. We have downsized pretty much everything cause I have now realized you don't need much in life to be "happy" (A good wife of course)

Coming as early 40's retirement of sorts, but very capable of living life as an adventure!

I/we are PADI MSDT SCUBA instructor, Divemasters, CSPA Skydive instructor/Tandem master, First Aid instructor, Ballroom and Latin Dance instructor, Glamour Photographer/models, Mermaids (yes you heard right), and as you can tell from the list an all around FUN couple so will likely find ourselves doing some form of entertainment and or services should you have any suggestions of opportunities, we would very much like to hear more.

Once we arrive will start looking for a place somewhere a bit inland to keep trying to keep rent costs to under $500/month for rent (Half of that would be preferable) And will start the immigration process, cedula, residency.

Any suggestions for medical coverage companies?
Any suggestions for things to bring with us, (and to leave behind!)
Any suggestions and links for (Local) rental properties? NOT vacation rentals
Any suggestions for online (local) classifieds?
Facebook groups? yeah I am a computer geek and like social media to see real life/real people

Bernie & Rosemary

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Welcome,let the search feature be your friend and you will find answers to your questions.

Rainwater

Jan 23, 2013
Hi Bernie and Rosemary! You had me at mermaids!

My medical insurance is Humano Platinum and the best hospital (imo) is Hospiten.

Read the Stickies, that's how I started navigating and learning on DR1, and have fun planning your adventure!

~shalom~

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Bring double the money you originally intended to, because the first few months / year when you are settling down can prove to be expensive. Once you have things figured out then you may be able to live a relatively "inexpensive" life, but until then plan on spending double as much for everything as you'll get charged "Gringo" prices everywhere you go.

Leave behind a decent stash in case things don't work out as expected.

Leave behind your car and buy in The DR...avoid the hassle of shipping it and dealing with Dominican customs.

To rent a property you can look at this website's (DR1) real state area Dominican Republic Rentals or a website like SuperCasas.com - Homes for sale Dominican Republic, condos, villas, caribbean real estate - super-casas. Finding something in that price range is going to be a bit of a challenge however and you may need to use "word of mouth" instead of websites. If possible have a Dominican whom you trust get the price before you show up to look at the property, because again if you do you'll automatically get the "Gringo" price.

As someone already mentioned the search button is your friend on this site as any question you may have others probably already asked and got answers to.

Good luck with your adventure!!!

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Any suggestions for things to bring with us, (and to leave behind!)
You can leaqve your skis and ice skates behind. I have seen nobody at all using these things here.
Der Fish

I've seen them using ice skates in the parking lot of the Churchill La Sirena in Santo Domingo. It's seasonal though.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When you rent a property here, be aware that you may have to pay a security deposit of up to 3 months rent.
Most likely you will also need a Dominican to sign with you to be liable if YOU don't pay the rent.
AND, no matter what you pay as a deposit, you will NEVER see that money again!
Most, "Dominican Smart" renters, live out their deposit by not paying rent equal to their security deposit before the move out.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC