Canadian contributions

Jan 27, 2011
I am a Canadian sociologist doing research on the contributions and effects that Canadians have had on the development of the North Coast (Sosua/Puerto Plata/Cabarete). I am interested in knowing about Canadians in this area and their work and prehaps interviewing some. My research will culminate in a paper presented at the Canadian Studies Association whose focus this year is Canadian connections in the southern hemisphere and an article in a Canadian journal. I appreciate any help you can give me either through this forum or through email

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I am a Canadian sociologist doing research on the contributions and effects that Canadians have had on the development of the North Coast (Sosua/Puerto Plata/Cabarete). I am interested in knowing about Canadians in this area and their work and prehaps interviewing some. My research will culminate in a paper presented at the Canadian Studies Association whose focus this year is Canadian connections in the southern hemisphere and an article in a Canadian journal. I appreciate any help you can give me either through this forum or through email

Here is a story off the top of my head, http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/116511-proud-my-little-town-2.html#post1037640

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm Cdn, but I think a study of the Jews in that area would be a better project.

If you want Cdn's= start w/ a guy named Elliot...... Pandora's Box

Before everybodystarts shooting -- the study need not yield positive results.... just be an objective view

May 29, 2006
I think the United Fruit Company had its office where La Roca is now in Sosua, but I don't know if that was started before or after the Jewish refugees settled there. Eddy, here on DR1, was one of the first to cater to the Canadian demographic (and introduce satellite TV), and another person to find would be Marco, the former owner of Rocky's.

About half of what is now Sosua was open farmland just 20 years ago and god knows how many turnovers there have been for every bar/hotel in town. You'd also have to cover the influence of the German, Dutch, and Italian entrepreneurs to get anything of a complete picture. Americans have had relatively little impact in developing Sosua as independent entrepreneurs.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
there have been a lot of Canadian people on HGTV House Hunters International. Might have had some effect on the numbers of Canadians and Yanks who have purchased R.E. on the N. Coast and in Punta Cana. (And I'm only half kidding about this... there might be some actual value to my theory.)

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
CultureVulture ,
To quote you "I am a Canadian sociologist doing research on the contributions and effects that Canadians have had on the development of the North Coast (Sosua/Puerto Plata/Cabarete). I am interested in knowing about Canadians in this area and their work and prehaps interviewing some. My research will culminate in a paper presented at the Canadian Studies Association whose focus this year is Canadian connections in the southern hemisphere and an article in a Canadian journal. I appreciate any help you can give me either through this forum or through email "
So what are your qualifications, acreditaionas and what do you hope to gain from this trawl. I feel you are much better that the person who was looking for ameoba treatments in this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/130369-ayurvedic-remedy-ameobas.html in that you have declared your basic interests!
Tell us more and maybe you will get some help.
I am not the gate keeper - that is Robert and he is helped by his Mods - Mods are Gods - but the Canadian influence is an interesting factor one the north coast. You might want to look at some ot the Sosua news Archives Sos?a-News concerning the Canadian Ambasador to DR - the article was quite intersting!
I hope you come back with more information as it is an intersting subject as to WHO contributes to the North Coast !

Olly and the Team ( Sosua division)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Agree that if you're researching seriously, contact Tim Hall. He's been the Honorary Consul for over 25 years here.
Google will find.