How do you wash vegetables/greens/fruit before you eat/cook them?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you MUST, just wash in tap water, then you can soak in a few drops of "Purisimo".
Get it at supermarkets.
I think Ken uses it.
Or, a FEW DROPS of "Cloro" in water will do the same thing.
I wouldn't worry too much about preparing/eating at home, it's eating out that you need to worry about.
ICE can be bad.
Drink "Brugal" ..."neat"!
Cris Colon

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Thank all.
I use a lot of vegetables, greens and fruits because I am into juicing and because I like to eat vegetables and salads.
I wash everything with tap water and try to dry it off.
I want to do as little as possible.
Some people told me they wash everything with a bit of bleach.
So far what I am doing seems to be working ...but I wonder if I am doing something wrong.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
As long as you wash your vegetables with a bit of bleach you're doing fine,Especially salad greens.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you MUST, just wash in tap water, then you can soak in a few drops of "Purisimo".
Get it at supermarkets.
I think Ken uses it.
Or, a FEW DROPS of "Cloro" in water will do the same thing.
I wouldn't worry too much about preparing/eating at home, it's eating out that you need to worry about.
ICE can be bad.
Drink "Brugal" ..."neat"!
Cris Colon

Yes, a few drops of Purisimo is good. It is like cloro, but much more concentrated so you only need a little. When I go to a budget hotel in SD or Santiago, I take it along and put a few drops in the tap water to drink.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We routinely put cloro in the cistern and wash with tap water. That's prolly overkill because our water comes from a clean well on the top of a hill.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many dominicans add a spoonful of vinegar to the water used for washing and rinsing vegetables. i cannot be bothered. i have a life. still :)
but some dr1ers are just a step away from sleeping in an oxygen tent with their pet chimpanzee bubbles. i know this :)

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
tap water disadvantage

Using a bit of bleach is a much better practice than using plain tap water. I personally splurge on water from the botell?n because I prefer to be short on cash rather than complaining about gastritis. I've estimates as high as 80% or more of the population suffers from various degrees of gastritis. The cumulative effects of doing things like brushing your teeth with tap water, drinking and eating from glasses and plates that are still wet with dishwater, and indiscriminately patronizing random comedores and chimichurri stands (beware of their salad especially, even more than the meat that is "50 shades of gray") will put you on the wrong side of the intestinal parasite fence. I'm told it is a very uncomfortable place to be.

As long as you wash your vegetables with a bit of bleach you're doing fine,Especially salad greens.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
many dominicans add a spoonful of vinegar to the water used for washing and rinsing vegetables. i cannot be bothered. i have a life. still :)
but some dr1ers are just a step away from sleeping in an oxygen tent with their pet chimpanzee bubbles. i know this :)
Raising my wife's hand...

All my wife's wash ends with bottled water.
She is a step or two away from buying oxygen capsules and chimpanzee...
;)

In serious note.
My wife tried to make kimchi with both tap and with little bleach/iodine tablet we bought from REI. Kimchi turned out mushy, and when supposed to be crunchy fermented cabbage turns mushy, it's not a good sign. It's cost effective / less time consuming / help my sanity to just allow my wife to use bottle of water to wash veggies off...

Rainwater

Jan 23, 2013
I use drinking water with fresh lime juice or vinegar, and also wash the chicken. There's a powdered food safe bleach that works well. I admit to washing the eggs! They look poopy!

Terrified of amoeba, had it years ago and once was enough.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My ,"Sex Practices" make eating contaminated food, a mute point!
Being anal,( NO PUN) about food/veg. decontamination is just a "Fool's Errand"!
You guy's make Howard Hughes look like a "Dumpster Diver"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For me, it depends if it will be cooked or not. Anything that we'll be eating raw is washed with bottled water. If I'm going to cook the vegetables I wash them and cook them with tap water [our well has been tested and it's very pure]. For fruit, I wash them with tap water before I peel them [I do that in the US too] - if it's not peeled, then bottled water.

I've never washed an egg. Guess I live life dangerously :paranoid:

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I used bottled water to wash all vegetables. Have done this since we have lived here and never gotten ill from veggies or fruit at home!! The first year of living here never ate salad or anything that might be suspect when we ate out!! Call me overly cautious but hey that is what works for my world.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
For me, it depends if it will be cooked or not. Anything that we'll be eating raw is washed with bottled water. If I'm going to cook the vegetables I wash them and cook them with tap water [our well has been tested and it's very pure]. For fruit, I wash them with tap water before I peel them [I do that in the US too] - if it's not peeled, then bottled water.

I've never washed an egg. Guess I live life dangerously :paranoid:

That is what I do.Salad greens I wash with bottled water and cloro.Anything else that has to be cooked
no need for that since the cooking process kills the bacteria.