Inspections on Home Renovations?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Is it standard practice to inspect/approve renovations done on an existing home? And who would be doing the inspections? Or is it hit and miss, just paying whatever official gets wind of the renovations and wants a cut? For the record, it's North Coast.

The house is off the beaten path, but I know that doesn't mean anything. Word gets around.
And I'm not talking about a bath remodel, this would be a major renovation. Almost everything being replaced except the concrete. So there's no hiding it.

Just trying to plan for costs.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Is it standard practice to inspect/approve renovations done on an existing home?

The short answer is no, but you have not told us the extenet of the renovation, fixing up or adding M3?

Beware, There are spys everywhere, your greatest enemy is the garbage collecters, they get cash incentives for informing city council of building projects off the beaten path.

g'luck

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We did some major renovations and an addition with no problem, but when we started erecting a tall block wall across the front of our property someone from the 'building dept' showed up and we had to buy a permit. A few days later they showed up again, and once we showed the permit they disappeared and never came back.

I think it's hit or miss, unless someone calls them. In our case, we think they called because the people near us were upset that we were taking down a tamarindo tree that was in the way.

webgurutoo

Mar 2, 2013
Go buy the permit. It will save you time, money and alot of headaches. Also, if you are sinking that much cash into it, you might as well do everything above board.

Yup spies ARE EVERYWHERE! We were building a fence and a Marina Military Guy just happened to show up demanding money and then 2 days later we started building a pool and 3 hours after they started it the guy was back for another bribe! (We were building very close to the ocean and on the ocean front area)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yup spies ARE EVERYWHERE! We were building a fence and a Marina Military Guy just happened to show up demanding money and then 2 days later we started building a pool and 3 hours after they started it the guy was back for another bribe! (We were building very close to the ocean and on the ocean front area)

No surprises on that at all. We have found that it is better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"If You Build It, THEY WILL Come!"
Then you pay them off and "All Is Well"!
I say, if you look for trouble by "Permitting" they will smell a "Money Tree"!
I built two additions on my house in Arroyo Hondo, no problems.
BUT, the "Garbage Men" never come by, well about every 5 years they give me an updated bill. It's well over 40,000 pesos now!
They threaten to stop collecting if I don't pay.
"Oh No Mister Bill!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
ccccccccccccccccc hit the nail on the thread. Just to add,,,,ensure that you look at their name badge on their shirt or the name of the "Dept." they are supposed to be representing on the cap they are wearing. Those little chits have the power to report whether you will have an "official inspection on not. A few years ago I had yet another one "try it on" I merely said of course, and waved some pesos at him. Then I said, I remember you from such and such, made friends, and asked him to show me his cedular ID, so "I was sure he wasnt going to rob me" at a later date. Still laughing both of us.... but dumb chit gave me his ID and signed the receipt I gave him, then paid him a couple of hundred pesos and he left. I wouldnt do that if you are a man, just leave it to the woman in your house to do stuff like that.

Good luck... and learn how to deal with the ladrons on a higher intelligent level ;)

Tahlia

Mar 28, 2013
Games, Internet
It depends on the person who is living in that house... If he feels that and wanted to have an annual inspection, then he can do so at any time to for just making confirm that his house is ok and have no disease attack like pest, termite and any damage...

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
It's not even standard practice to inspect new homes! When I was building my first house here 11 years ago I learned that electricians and plumbers are not licensed trades in this country. Shocked, I asked my construction manager (also not licensed, btw) how you know if someone is a good electrician or not.

Glancing at me, he told me that if someone can twist two wires together and the light bulb comes on then they can call themselves an electrician. I blurted out, "But what if the light does not come on". His reply, "Well, then he must be a plumber."

Thank God I had an excellent builder who was very careful every step of the way. I had my eyes opened quickly that the only person you can rely upon here with any degree of certainty is the "man in the mirror." And I'd watch him closely as well!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In theory, if major construction is going on, you need to submit the plans to Obras Publicas and the local city for approval by their civil engineers. Okay.

However, you are doing renovations: switching out appliances, fixtures etc....I really do not have a clue about that but I can tell you that the people that put up the Pizza place at my corner "remodeled" and I do not think they got a permit.

Bribes have a way of backfiring, so talk to your "maestro" and ask him what he thinks.

HB

jamesharrison

Mar 2, 2013
It is better fix the paper work, get all sought of permissions and then get on with renovations. Once you get into renovation process without getting paper works clear you can be in problem and even cost you more.