Bank Fraud - be aware of using your bank card

Dec 21, 2008
Just a warning to everyone - be very aware of using your bank card at Progresso (beside Super Super) in Sosua. I used my bank card on the 28th. I've heard that there have been numerous problems with the ATM's in Sosua. I spoke with with a former VP for Scotiabank and he advised that they have installed technolog in their machines that if they are tampered with in anyway, the machine will shut down - only Scotiabank machines for me from now on. Today, I went to use my bank card at Progresso and someone thoughtfully relieved me of all my cash in my bank account. My Canandian bank has been extremely helpful in returning my funds to me (after an hour and a half on the phone and ten business days later I will have my funds back along with a new bank card). Funny how there is a security gard there at Progresso to keep track of things...guess he's going to make a good wage this month! Monitor your bank accounts daily and take care where you use your card. I'm lucky this time.

Just an FYI for everyone and I've had a really rotten day so please, keep your sarcastic remarks to yourself as I'm really not interested.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This has also occured at Banco Popular by Plaza de Banderas since 10 th January on Canadian Accounts and some years ago at Coastal BHD terminal. It is some form of electronic device that is in the machine. Now we hear of it at Progreso next to Super Super.

We in the Team only use Scotia Bank ATMs and I know it is a pain to go to Cabarete but ???

Olly and the Team

Dec 21, 2008
There is now a Scotiabank ATM at the Metro terminal next to Texaco - I'm a little nervous going in there and will only do so if Mr Silver Fox is with me. There isn't any real security to speak of and with your back to the room, it can be a little unnerving if you are alone.

Last edited:

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Mrs Foxy ,
I am not sure that machine is still there but it seems to be "independent" machines that have this problem so I would not use it but go to Cabarete to draw out money. You can always carry on to Janets to do your shopping at much less cost than Playero and save the petrol cost !!!

Olly and the Team ( Sosua divsion)

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
ScotiaBank is the only ATM in this country I'll use my debit card. Since I'm with BankofAmerica in the US, I get the added benefit of no fees on the transactions. Hopefully no one will shoot me to rob me because, as an American, I'm likely to shoot back!

Dec 21, 2008
This machine is still there and will remain there from what I was told from the ex-VP of Scotiabank (who still has very strong ties with the banking community). It is not an independent machine and is tied to the Scotiabank system. It is the replacement for the bank that closed in January to save Sosua residents from having to drive to Cabarete. I've learned my lesson the hard way...trust me!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anyone who lives here is foolish if they use a bank card to get money for living expenses, etc. Much better to arrange with a banco de cambio to accept your checks written on your bank in your home country. I have been doing this for years and know that many other expats are doing the same.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Well, I simply dont want to use any ATM... Too risky too my opinion. To my opinion, the best is to open a bank account and go there to withdraw money when needed. :)

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
As a tourist this is a little disconcerting.
Do I carry $5000.00 cash into the country and risk being relieved of my funds in a manner not of my choosing?
Or
Do I carry minimal cash and use an ATM which could result in my bank account being relieved of its funds in a manner not of my choosing?
It does not sound like either option is ideal anymore. I have done a combination of the above in the past but the ATM scam scares the hell out of me. I cannot imagine having to deal with that on vacation thus I am likely leaning towards just carrying the cash into the country. I am not crazy about this for obvious reasons.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You have multiple SAFE options as a tourist.
1) Use ATM card at any teller, the same charges as using the card anywhere a VISA/MC LOGO.
2) Fund a PAYPAL account prior to leaving for your trip, the ATM charge for this is $1/transaction, you can use the card at any ATM or bank teller
3) Get introduced to a cambista through a local that will cash your check, assuming you are not a deadbeat!
4) Wire yourself money via XOOM or Western Union (for a hefty fee)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As a tourist this is a little disconcerting.
Do I carry $5000.00 cash into the country and risk being relieved of my funds in a manner not of my choosing?
Or
Do I carry minimal cash and use an ATM which could result in my bank account being relieved of its funds in a manner not of my choosing?
It does not sound like either option is ideal anymore. I have done a combination of the above in the past but the ATM scam scares the hell out of me. I cannot imagine having to deal with that on vacation thus I am likely leaning towards just carrying the cash into the country. I am not crazy about this for obvious reasons.

We do a mix like you do. Normally we bring a chunk of cash but we put it right into the bank, and withdraw as we need it. Sometimes we wire money in advance. Sometimes we use the ATM card too, but we only use the one that's outside of our bank.

If we're going to be there for months, we deposit a personal check into our bank account as soon as we get there, which clears US bank in about 3 days, but which the Dominican bank says is "uncleared" for a month or so.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Since December there has been a substantial increase in Credit Card fraud and it has not been confined to ATM's. European/ Foreign ie US/Canadian cards are the target. Replicated charges via CardNet the main facilitator here in the DR. These fraudsters are banking on you being a tourist and unable to challenge unauthorised transactions rapidly.

One of my cards has now been charged over $US5,000 in fraudulent charges in a period of 28 days. I have had to close the card although I was fully refunded by may Bank prior to the closure. This fraudulent activity started by my paying for gasoline in a friend's service station. There are personnel working in CardNet that are targeting "foreign registered cards" Your card number is the signal.

My advice and my Bank's is only use your credit card to withdraw cash inside a Bank and retain the receipt. Forget their advice to use their ATM machines for withdrawals of under $20,000 pesos as these are controlled by CardNet. Using an ATM whether inside a bank or a shopping mall provides the required data to the CardNet operatives.

Nothing is 100% secure but using your card to fund a Dominican charge/debit card is by far the best way to operate in this country. The bad guys avoid trying it on with Dominican cards.

Rainwater

Jan 23, 2013
ScotiaBank is the only ATM in this country I'll use my debit card. Since I'm with BankofAmerica in the US, I get the added benefit of no fees on the transactions. Hopefully no one will shoot me to rob me because, as an American, I'm likely to shoot back!

Castellamonte, thank you for this info. I'm a BOA customer and I didn't know about Scotiabank!!! Waheey!!

Mrs. Fox, this happened to me as well a couple of years ago. My bank tracked down the fraud all the way to Korea, robbed me blind but BOA replaced it all. I found out there was trouble when my card was rejected at a store. Very very scary!!

I have a pet peeve about people not respecting personal space. I insist (always politely but dead serious) on whoever's behind me to keep back at the ATM. Someone one time waltzed in while I'm IN a private booth type ATM. Out!!! So I'm "odiosa" and "aburr?a"...so be it. LOL!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
My home bank is ABNAMRO and I only use the Banco Popular ATM's on Alejandro Martines in Sosua or the one next to the Belgium bakery in Cabarete or the one in Gaspar Hernandes, across from Pappateras... those are the only ATM's that have not given me static yet

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Global ATM Alliance

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/manage/faq-atm-fees.go

What is the Global ATM Alliance?
Bank of America is member of the Global ATM Alliance. The ATM Global Alliance is a group of financial institutions that has created the world's first international ATM Alliance.

Use your debit card or ATM card within the Global ATM Alliance in the countries shown with no ATM operator fees or Non-Bank of America International ATM Fees. International Transaction Fees of 1% for converting your currency may apply. Some members may have locations in countries other than the country listed in the coverage area. Only ATMs in the country listed are considered part of the Alliance.

Bank Name Coverage Area

Bank of America United States
Barclays United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands)
BNP Paribas France
BNL D'Italia Italy
Deutsche Bank Germany
Scotiabank Canada and the Caribbean. Caribbean countries include: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Netherlands Antilles (St. Maarten), St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands.
Westpac Bank Australia and New Zealand

In addition, Bank of America has arranged for you to use your debit or ATM cards in China at China Construction Bank ATMs (China Construction Bank ATMs in Hong Kong are not included) and in Mexico at Banco Santander with no ATM Operator Fees or Non-Bank of America International ATM Fees. International Transaction Fees of 1% for converting your currency may apply.

trickie111

Jan 27, 2013
Does anyone use Travelers cheques anymore?
I used to take all my money in travelers cheques and cash them as I needed to in the little banko huts around Cabarete. I'd have to show my passport to the "teller" to do the transaction. They were competitive and you could shop around.
I haven't used them the last couple of times I've been there in favor of the Scotia bank ATM....

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
We had this happen also back in November or December at the same ATM machine. We where trying our debit cards out for the first time down here and they didn't work so we didn't pay it any mind. 3 days later I got a call that we had errant charges on our account and lot's of them. The bank back in the states had already shut down our account and froze the money. They managed to get us for around $300 before it was stopped. We have been here for going on 8 months now and that is the one and only time we have tried to use and ATM machine anywhere on the island.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You get an inferior rate, and MUST carry a passport, NO THANKS!
Oh, if and when they are stolen, nobody can replace them, so what is the point?
why do you say that? American Express is affilitated with Banco Progresso here. I would think that checks could be replaced here. Certainly less of a risk than having your Visa card blocked because of illegal use in the Ukraine, which happened to me.