Between Sosua and Puerto plata Car Swindlers on the Road

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
JUST A NOTE ,that has been posted before ,however worth noting again ! While driving this route ,there is a habit of throwing coconuts under your car giving u the impresion something is wrong . you are then flagged down that there is a problem with your car .Since you heard this , you may believe them .They look under the car come up with a part ,and try to get you to pay for replacing it etc ! ......KEEP DRIVING !!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
JUST A NOTE ,that has been posted before ,however worth noting again ! While driving this route ,there is a habit of throwing coconuts under your car giving u the impresion something is wrong . you are then flagged down that there is a problem with your car .Since you heard this , you may believe them .They look under the car come up with a part ,and try to get you to pay for replacing it etc ! ......KEEP DRIVING !!!

If this is true, and more than just a one-time thing, very surprising it has never been mentioned before on this message board or any place else that I know of.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sounds like an "Urban Legend", or internet "True Story" to me!
If you can say that it happened to you personally, I'll believe you.
Other than that, "Not-So-Much"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
When you hit a dog, or a small child, it sounds just like a coconut!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
gotta take a lot of practice to roll a coconut under a car going 40-60 mph without the driver noticing...

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
HI I LIVE IN Cabarete , and this has been mentioned previously , Maybe not mentioning coconuts though! I believe Ringo on this site had a similar incident ,his wife i believe. .......This happened to a close friend of mine who is staying here for a month with his wife and have a rental car. i think he believes a motorcycle had coconuts and pulled up and tossed them under the car .they then flagged him over pointing at the car as if something was wrong ....and so went the scam .NOT A 1 TIME occurrence

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
gotta take a lot of practice to roll a coconut under a car going 40-60 mph without the driver noticing...

I don't know, a young guy with a good throwing arm? Hide in a ditch and aim between the front and rear wheels.

Not all dominicanos end up playing baseball in the States. You gotta find work where you can get it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HI I LIVE IN Cabarete , and this has been mentioned previously , Maybe not mentioning coconuts though! I believe Ringo on this site had a similar incident ,his wife i believe. .......This happened to a close friend of mine who is staying here for a month with his wife and have a rental car. i think he believes a motorcycle had coconuts and pulled up and tossed them under the car .they then flagged him over pointing at the car as if something was wrong ....and so went the scam .NOT A 1 TIME occurrence

Ok, maybe a 2-time thing, but maybe not because you don't know whether coconuts were thrown in the incident described by Ringo.

Not what I would describe as "there is a habit of throwing coconuts under your car" More like that story about someone who sat under a tree and was hit on the head by a falling acorn, and then ran through the town shouting "the sky is falling."

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'm not saying it's impossible, but seems improbable.
I drive that road a good bit, so I'll watch for errant fruits and report back if I run across any.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I did see a taxi hit a coconut on my first arrival in Santo Domingo about 22 years ago. We were coming to SD on Las Americas. All taxis were tiny "Datsuns" back then. A taxi about 200 yards in front of us hit a "Coco". The taxi swerved to the right, rolled over several times and came to rest upside down against a wall. I knew right away that the driver had been killed. Until the door opened, and he got out. Without a scratch!
Must have used his head for a crash helmet!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know what? i drive from POP to sosua regularly and nothing like this happened to me, even thou i stand out like a pickled onion in a banana split. so i suggest you keep your eyes on the road and put volume up :)

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I don't know about the coconuts, but their are people on that stretch of road that will flag you down and tell you there is something wrong ect..... It has happened to a couple of friends of mine. Another one that they do is ride up next to you on a moto and squirt oil in your wheel well and then flag you over telling you something is wrong and they'll help you ect... These events do occur.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know about the coconuts, but their are people on that stretch of road that will flag you down and tell you there is something wrong ect..... It has happened to a couple of friends of mine. Another one that they do is ride up next to you on a moto and squirt oil in your wheel well and then flag you over telling you something is wrong and they'll help you ect... These events do occur.

Amazing. You would think this subject would have been discussed on a regular basis is this is as common as some have indicated.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you can't see a guy hurling coconuts at your car then there is no doubt you are in need of a trip to spec savers.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

Are you people familiar with mirrors, so much on here unaware of their surrounding on the road, you tell me Dominicans are bad drivers? ffs, I'm amazed you people aren't killing conchos by the dozen

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Are you people familiar with mirrors, so much on here unaware of their surrounding on the road, you tell me Dominicans are bad drivers? ffs, I'm amazed you people aren't killing conchos by the dozen

Unfortunately it's illegal to get rid of the pests that way.

"R"

Last edited:

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I guess if someone throws a coconut to your car while driving, the impact will be quite strong. And there will be severe damages to the car. So I hardly beleive that coconut story, maybe it happened with a banana...

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
It happened to me. No coconut, but they try to falg me down right before playa Dorada. I didn't stop the car until I drove right infront of the entrance with people around me. I checked the car and nothing was wrong. The two guys on the moto was watching me and try to come over. I locked the car and drove away. I read about this before and had some idea what they were trying to do. I remember some one end up with a huge repair bill because they believed what they told them and let the two guys took them to a car repair shop....... You just don't stop when someone try to flag you down and point under your car.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NYerinDR.... I remember that thread -- thousandds of pesos or dollars..... totally naive victims, but victims nonetheless.

@ Ken - it has been reported here before