dominican republic or dominicana?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many posters here get their knickers in a twist over this issue :)
i never cared much as i explained before that in polish the official name for DR is republika dominikany (dominican republic) but normally it is simply called dominikana.
and now don alvarito from la zeta raised the issue again, over the t-shirts of dominican representation for la serie del caribe:
z101digital - Alvarito: 'Es ilegal que el Escogido vaya con el nombre de Dominicana a la Serie del Caribe'

comments below the article swing both ways...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that sooner or later it will become widely accepted. the language lives and evolves, absorbing the most common mistakes and turning them into rules...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It doesn't really matter, but a lot of people call the whole country Santo Domingo.

Mr. AE does that, and I've caught myself doing the same thing. Or asking a Dominican what part of Santo Domingo are they from.

But my question to you is..... is it only the older Dominicans who call the country Santo Domingo, or do young ones say it too??

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Rd

many posters here get their knickers in a twist over this issue :)
i never cared much as i explained before that in polish the official name for DR is republika dominikany (dominican republic) but normally it is simply called dominikana.
and now don alvarito from la zeta raised the issue again, over the t-shirts of dominican representation for la serie del caribe:
z101digital - Alvarito: 'Es ilegal que el Escogido vaya con el nombre de Dominicana a la Serie del Caribe'

comments below the article swing both ways...

Well,
The Poles follow the Dominicans - Republica Dominicana.
I like Dominican Republic for english use, also to avoid confusion with the Commonwealth of Dominica.

Apr 13, 2011
This past year, I noticed that many of the baseball announcers for MLB were saying only "the Dominican" when referring to players that came from the Dominican Republic. It does not make it correct, but it seems to be becoming more common.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
For those that find the long version, "Dominican Republic" too cumbersome, there is always "D.R."
In many cases when you here somebody using "Dominicana", they are often confusing one island for another.....as in "Dominica".
I vote no for "Dominicana"
But I would gladly murder (a manner of speaking) anybody that I hear saying "The Dominican"....arghhhh.

Apr 13, 2011
I do not like "the Dominican" myself - only saying that I have heard it being used more often and it never seems to be corrected to the Dominican Republic (except here on DR1) - or even just "the DR" would be fine, which to me would seem easier if they were taking the lazy way of saying it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Never heard anything but DR and Santo Domingo from Dominicans here (DR is usually by younger crowd and they drop "the").

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Czech Republic - simply Czech

The Republic of China - simply China

I dont see any issue with - Dominican

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It only makes sense to me when it is the Republic of blablabla. If not, calling a country by an adjective is weird.

At the end of the day, I don't care as long as I know what you are talking about.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Alvarito, is full of himself and drunk on his political frustrations. His concerns are more political than anything else. He is correct in pointing out that article 1 of the DR constitution does in fact establish the name of this nation as Rep?blica Dominicana. However there is no link whatsoever, not even extremely remote, that the Dominicana label on the Escogido uniform is a remnant of a dirty campaign again Jos? Francisco Pe?a G?mez. Where do these idiots come up with these over the top ideas? If anything, the Dominicana label is in tune with current Dominican colloquialism, word butchering and syllables droping. ex. Voy pa' dominicana. Anybody slightly familiar with Dominicans will clearly understand the prior sentence.

Why does everything here in DR has to revolve around politic?

NotLurking

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
alvarito may be full of himself but he is an oracle for many dominicans. and some gringos :) even when i disagree with him i like to listen to his arguments, he is a very intelligent and well read man. but i think bringing dominican constitution into play does not work well. i am sure it also has a paragraph about how to call the president of the country, and the correct word is not principe :)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
The word "Dominican" is a adjective and it describe the word Republic. The official name for the Dominican Republic is Dominican Republic. No country uses it's official name, but a few Barbados Belize Czech Republic and the Dominican Republic are the only ones I know. It is not wrong to use either "Dominican " or the Dominican Republic it's like saying a wife is a woman.

Republic of Costa Rica, Republic of Croatia, Republic of the Fiji Islands, Republic of Chad, Republic of Iceland, French Republic etc. Majority of the world uses the word Republic in its official name, but see no reason to use it outside of official business such as a passport stamp and others services. My GF country name is the" Islamic Republic of Pakistan" so you see everybody uses the word Republic.

btw Japan is another country that official name is Japan that I forgot to mention.