Colmados in other countries?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I am just wondering if the whole colmado convenience concept goes on elsewhere. I wonder sometimes how I manage when elsewhere as we seem to use the colmado for something or another daily, often multiple times. It is as if part of my mind is switched off when we go to the supermarket for our shopping, there is always something we do not buy that requires colmado convenience when we get home. I wonder if this is attempted elsewhere as there seems plenty of money in it, but I've never come across it in Europe. The big supermarkets now allow online shopping with free delivery when you buy over a certain amount of stuff, but not a service that will deliver a box of matches of a few candles etc.
Just a thought.:beard:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They are called bodegas or Korean green grocers, on every corner in NYC.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
There are no grocery stores in England ? There are plenty in Paris Giva (epiciers), they usually arabs.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm sure there's a version of it pretty much anywhere, even though The DR may be the only one with Colmadones where people go to dance, drink, etc...

A friend of mine told me they have something similar in India, but over there people sit around and drink tea instead of alcohol...and of course is a big sausage fest as women don't usually partake.

The one concept that I'm sure only happens in The DR is the "Car Wash" concept...gas stations/car washes serving as bars.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Kuwait? Do Bakalas deliver? I was based in Kuwait for two years and never experience/noticed it. Maybe they did and maybe I knew this, although I don't think I did, but it was a long time ago.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There are no grocery stores in England ? There are plenty in Paris Giva (epiciers), they usually arabs.
There are lots, but they don't deliver. I am not talking about corner stores here, I am talking about the whole delivery concept of next to nothing to as much as you want. I know everywhere has grocery stores and corner shops.

There's always one:cheeky:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Or two! "It's been a while since my last visit to the UK - what about the corner shops usually run by Indians/Pakistanis?"

Mr C is always joking about opening a colmado in Gibraltar when we move back.

May 29, 2006
They had them every couple miles in the Marshall Islands and I ran one for about six months. Prob 80% of the stuff I had in my store you could find in a Dominican Colmado. Mine was 8ft x 12ft and it was a nice little business until my landlady got greedy and doubled my rent. I wasn't making that much for an American, but by local standards it was a big success.

I used to give Gua Gua drivers free cigarettes and coffee if they stopped at my store. By the time they finished their coffee, I would sell up to $50 of good to his passengers. He also liked it because it opened up more seats for more passengers.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
There are lots, but they don't deliver. I am not talking about corner stores here, I am talking about the whole delivery concept of next to nothing to as much as you want. I know everywhere has grocery stores and corner shops.

There's always one:cheeky:

Oh I see. No in Paris, they dont deliver. But, in NYC, not all of them deliver. I have one at each end of my block and one across the street. I never asked if deliver since I have been in pajamas across the street, LOL.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Oh I see. No in Paris, they dont deliver. But, in NYC, not all of them deliver. I have one at each end of my block and one across the street. I never asked if deliver since I have been in pajamas across the street, LOL.

Yeh, I'm talking the whole thing. Grocery/bar/disco/delivery/lottery/party organizers etc, there is not much a colmado does not do, will not do or can not do.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yeh, I'm talking the whole thing. Grocery/bar/disco/delivery/lottery/party organizers etc, there is not much a colmado does not do, will not do or can not do.

Got you ! The closest I have seen are the Bodegas kept by Dominicans (only) in NYC then (although some aspects are done more discreetly in the back or basement).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nothing like this in poland but a taxi driver will deliver smokes, booze and ass by request. you'd have to pay full taxi fare thou...

May 29, 2006
Is there a different name for the Colmados that just have an outside counter vs the ones that people can come into and shoplift from? Mine was a counter type so everyone had to point to what they wanted. I mostly supported a village of about 500 and my prices matched the big stores about 6 miles away. Where it gets hard is if there is are no distribution companies or if they charge full retail even when you buy by the case.