american man arrested for smuggling guns to DR

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
He thought he could smuggle the guns without being detected.Some people are so stupid!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like how they say he was surprised. i would be surprised if someone pulled a mossberg rifle from my luggage but not so much if aduanas would retrieve two kilos of ham from my bag. after all i was the one who put it there.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Big deal. Much ado about nothing. The DR is "loaded" with illegal guns of all makes and calibers. Whats a few more or less. Chance for the police to show they are doing something besides getting fatter from sitting around. Next time he needs to bring more bribe money or smuggle lap tops and phones which is where the real money is.
Good to know we have a roving reporter in dv8 keeping us informed. Ken has some real competition now.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
The other scary part is how the suitcase got pass security in the U.S.
Checked luggage is supposed to be scanned before being loaded onto the plane.

"R"

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The other scary part is how the suitcase got pass security in the U.S.
Checked luggage is supposed to be scanned before being loaded onto the plane.

"R"

TSA is more interested in full body scans of 80 year old women than anything that might actually kill someone.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Oh Devious one! there is not enough, murder, horrendous accidents, scalded women, castrated men, blood or gore in your reporting, please get with the program and give us something truly Dominican and worthy of filling our departed grim reapers shoes.

(only joking, life is easier not knowing)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It's legal in the US to transport guns via checked baggage, so long as you've got the proper documents.

BUT, this guy should have checked the rules in the DR before trying to bring a small arsenal in country. Smugglers use boats, this was probably just some Yahoo who thought the Second Amendment applies everywhere.

Anyway, I hope he doesn't drop the soap. Shame, dude is only 24.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Big deal. Much ado about nothing. The DR is "loaded" with illegal guns of all makes and calibers. Whats a few more or less. Chance for the police to show they are doing something besides getting fatter from sitting around. Next time he needs to bring more bribe money or smuggle lap tops and phones which is where the real money is.
Good to know we have a roving reporter in dv8 keeping us informed. Ken has some real competition now.

True...which makes him look even more stupid. He could have just bought whatever he wanted in the DR.

May 5, 2007
as always, dv8 is keeping you posted on various events involving gringos.
la zeta reports that an american man was arrested at las american airport. he was smuggling guns hidden in his luggage.
z101digital - Arrestan a norteamericano trat? de introducir armas de fuego al pa?s

Someone help me out here: I used Google translation and the above is what I got but it doesn't fit was is on table in picture. What is a "15mm rifle", maybe that is how 12 gauge translated? No mention of the "assault" rifles (I knwo I know, I can't tell if they were full or semi but for description sake, the "Military style" rifles
What was this guy thinking, not even very creative?
I'm assuming that has he tried to bring them in 'legally" the shotguns would have been the only items allowed as the Glocks were over .38 or 9mm?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Oh Devious one! there is not enough, murder, horrendous accidents, scalded women, castrated men, blood or gore in your reporting, please get with the program and give us something truly Dominican and worthy of filling our departed grim reapers shoes.

you spoke too soon :(

i want to report things that may be of relevance to foreigners here. it is not my fault that gringos mainly make it to national news in connection to crime. but i also talk about other events that interest me like education and some political issues.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
It's legal in the US to transport guns via checked baggage, so long as you've got the proper documents.

BUT, this guy should have checked the rules in the DR before trying to bring a small arsenal in country. Smugglers use boats, this was probably just some Yahoo who thought the Second Amendment applies everywhere.

So he may have taken them legally from the US (I'd hope they check), but it doesn't seem like he declared them, and he tried to bribe the aduanas guy. I think he may have overestimated how far a bribe will take you, or the person he planned to be there to help him through wasn't there.

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
The first three rifles on that table appear to be a SKS 7.62 mm semi automatic riffle . Also known as a knock off AK 47.
Second AR-15 style rifle 5.56 mm . AKA M-16 knock off . Typically manufactured for civilian purchase.
Third another semi auto style rifle.

The fourth gun on that table is a pump action shotgun , with a pistol grip.

No Glock 40 No Mossberg and maybe a 22 on the back of the table.

Great photo if it was actually part of the real story. Just put any photo up there .

Great journalism.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Interesting...No one questioned him in the US? I would think even though it may be legal to transport the guns in the US with proper documents someone would just take few minutes and ask him a few questions about the guns. He must not know that this makes the officials day here in DR catching a American / foreigner. He needs to save his bribe money because he is going to need it..

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Some people just a$$ume that what's legal in their country (i.e. The US) must be legal everywhere else. This happens a lot with Americans crossing into Mexico where they may legally carry a weapon in the adjoining US state (i.e. Texas), but guns are illegal in Mexico (Ironic I know...). They drive through the border checkpoint and don't even read the signs saying that it is illegal to bring a gun into Mexico and next thing you know they're in deep doo doo.

I suspect that had it been a small caliber weapon he could have bribed someone (albeit it would have cost him quite a bit of money), but with this cache that he was trying to bring in no way any official is going to risk being involved in that.

May 12, 2005
This guy new what he was doing. An amateur does not go through with a false bottom suitcase. He probably assumed that he could just bribe an official like people do for other things. As far as it getting through the TSA, let's just say that they do not have the highest standards for employment.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I KNOW i HAD A POST IN THIS THREAD, I think I did, maybe I did, I accept the mods have their job to do but why in the world was my comment deleted, what did I say, please?