10 year rule in car?

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Has anybody heard any news on the ten year rule on importing cars that they "are trying to push "?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't the answer to that one, but my daughter and her brother will be in Santo Domingo tomorrow and I will ask them to ask about this one and see if there is any fresh input.

The used car dealers sure want this one.

HB

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
"Has anybody heard any news on the ten year rule on importing cars that they "are trying to push "?"

The 10 year rule no longer exists. It is my understanding that you can't import a car older than 5 years old now. From Dominican Today in July 2012: The used auto importers ... said vehicle imports have fallen in the first six months, which in their view significantly affects the sector.

Asocivu president Jose Nina said dealers have imported only 1,133 autos during the first half, a decline he affirms has been occurring since 2010. ?In that year our associates imported 5,369 vehicles and 4,781 in 2011."

He said the dealers promote meetings with the imports sector aimed at getting the 5-year limit ban lifted, by bringing vehicles into the country in excellent conditions, at a low cost.

They also ask to be allowed to import 10 year-old vehicles and lower taxes."To buy a car of 200,000 peso a person has to buy a heap someone else has left or one which has passed through more than 10 owners. However if we are we allowed to bring 2002 autos, 2003, until 2005, in excellent condition and certifications, this will improve."

Preston

Last edited:

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I believe they are waiting on Danilo for final approval.They are suggesting 7 years instead of 10.It's a start.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Trust me, It won't make ANY difference.
The "Politicos" will make sure they get their "Pound of Flesh", one way or another.
According to "DRCAFTA" we should be able to import USA built cars with no taxes.
"So What?"
They just charge a title first time registration fee, now a "Carbon Foot Print" surcharge, and tax the dealers on their sales, and inventory.!
What the right hand "Giveth" the left hand "Taketh Away"!!!!
Just buy it here, and avoid all the trouble.
It might even be cheaper in the long run.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC