My Dominican friend needs help finding a better job

Greg81

Aug 12, 2012
Ok, I know this is a long shot, but I'm trying to help a friend. My friend is a Dominican born and raised in Santiago where she currently lives. She speaks only spanish. She currently has a job in retail but the pay is very low and she is struggling to survive. She is hard working and an honest person. I am trying to help her find a better job and am asking the members of the forum for any help, leads or advice. Maybe someone knows a business in Santiago looking for a reliable employee. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
This is not going to resolve the issue, she needs to train for something so she has a future. Has she considered military? there are well paid areas within Military nursing for instance, but she'd needs to train for 3 years, but she would under the current situation receive RD13,000 per month to help after the first year. Once qualified the salary rises quite significantly.

Nov 25, 2008
Really?? training???? training??? this is going to be an episode of "Practice" football style.
Your friend is like millions of other Dominicans who are in hard times because of the economy in the DR, it not going to change due to "training", what is more valuable than education is.... "who you know, contacts".
If the Dominicans had an option to travel they would leave the island (and leave it to the politicians), at least the young generation (19-26) have a better start say in Canada.
Right now the only groups that take advantage of the DR economy is the Rich and people who are in the government, the middle class is shrinking at a very fast rate.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Greg, you seem like a nice guy.
Naive, but nice!
All is not what it seems here in the DR.
If you met your "Friend" on line, that in itself is a red flag.
Did you go to the place where she is working, or did she tell you she was working???
Number one question, did you have sex with her the first time she came to your hotel???
If the answer is "Si!", don't you think she is doing the same thing with her other "Internet "Friends"?????
Chances are very high that you are being "HAD"!
That's not a bad thing, everyone pays for sex, one way or another.
Dominicanas are beautiful,sexy, and available!
Probably much better than you get at "home", if you are getting "ANY" at "home" that is.
If you had fun with her, great!
You just need to realize that you are just "One-Of-Many"!
You don't need to become her "Patron Saint" to have a good time with her.
You don't need to send money to her, or gifts either.
Give her a thousand pesos for every day she spends with you,more is too much.
She won't "Like" you anymore if you bury her in "Stuff"!
Let her other friends do that.
You probably know nothing about this girl, and you probably never will!
I have been there, and "Done That" many , many times. Had fun, spent a fortune, BEFORE I got SMART!
Most likely, you will too.
Men always like to think that we are special in any woman,s eyes, we ain't!
Keep us posted we all love a "Love Lost" story.
Cris Colon

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Really?? training???? training??? this is going to be an episode of "Practice" football style.
Your friend is like millions of other Dominicans who are in hard times because of the economy in the DR, it not going to change due to "training", what is more valuable than education is.... "who you know, contacts".
If the Dominicans had an option to travel they would leave the island (and leave it to the politicians), at least the young generation (19-26) have a better start say in Canada.
Right now the only groups that take advantage of the DR economy is the Rich and people who are in the government, the middle class is shrinking at a very fast rate.

However watching tele novelas and cartoons won't help either.
Do they know how to read and write Spanish.
Do they know math and are they learning foreign languages.
With skills even some Dominicans can find work, if they make it their job to look for work.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans don't usually "LOOK" for work.
They wait until a friend/family member gives them a "Tip" about where to go.
Usually where they have a connection of some sort.
No connection, no Job!
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Politur pays relatively well but they require at least some foreign language skill. I doubt there are many Politur opportunities in Santiago. She may need to relocate. The odds in general would be more in her favor in Puerto Plata or the capital.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

Exactly the kind of mentality that makes millions of Dominicans get nowhere. No matter who you know, you are not going to get a decent job if you are not trained to do it. So your advice is to sit and wait until she meets someone who will give her a job she can't do? You've been here too long buddy, that is Dominican logic!
It's pretty terrible when someone comes on asking for advice and people are talking like this, 'do nothing you are fuked'.
I live in a working/middle class environment and am surrounded by people who are going out and training to better themselves, some with a guarantee after it, some just to better themselves. The country is not going to get anywhere if people take on the mentality you have just mentioned. It is great to have connections, but the idea no one gets anywhere unless they know someone (and knowing someone is MORE important than an education) is ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, people make connections once they get going in the workforce and throughout life, not sitting watching TV.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Dominicans don't usually "LOOK" for work.
They wait until a friend/family member gives them a "Tip" about where to go.
Usually where they have a connection of some sort.
No connection, no Job!
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

You are saying the workforce Dominican Republic are mainly employed because they have connections? No one actually goes into a job they deserve? I respect your experience and many years here, but you are generalizing a workforce on a mass minority who need contacts into employment. To say this is the main route into employment is a massive exaggeration.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Greg, you seem like a nice guy.
Naive, but nice!
All is not what it seems here in the DR.
If you met your "Friend" on line, that in itself is a red flag.
Did you go to the place where she is working, or did she tell you she was working???
Number one question, did you have sex with her the first time she came to your hotel???
If the answer is "Si!", don't you think she is doing the same thing with her other "Internet "Friends"?????
Chances are very high that you are being "HAD"!
That's not a bad thing, everyone pays for sex, one way or another.
Dominicanas are beautiful,sexy, and available!
Probably much better than you get at "home", if you are getting "ANY" at "home" that is.
If you had fun with her, great!
You just need to realize that you are just "One-Of-Many"!
You don't need to become her "Patron Saint" to have a good time with her.
You don't need to send money to her, or gifts either.
Give her a thousand pesos for every day she spends with you,more is too much.
She won't "Like" you anymore if you bury her in "Stuff"!
Let her other friends do that.
You probably know nothing about this girl, and you probably never will!
I have been there, and "Done That" many , many times. Had fun, spent a fortune, BEFORE I got SMART!
Most likely, you will too.
Men always like to think that we are special in any woman,s eyes, we ain't!
Keep us posted we all love a "Love Lost" story.
Cris Colon

CC. I swear you and Frank12 should be meritorious PHD scholars at Dominican State-University-College- Institute.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Nothing that Western Union will not resolve.

Can we now move on, as you're wasting your time trying to find a job for her on DR1.

What you might get, is advice you don't particularly want to hear :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DOG" I too, respect your view about employment in the DR!
But I don't accept it!
I worked for 10 years in the Dominican economy.
Everytime the government changed, so did our employees.
Never seen such a group of people who knew nothing about what they were doing.
Those are the High Level jobs.
The "Trabajadores" were hired if they had references from the "Bosses".
THAT was their only qualification.
As far as training goes, training classes here are only rip off schools that take the students money, in exchange for nothing!
As long as they keep paying, they will graduate, with a worthless certificate to show prospective employers.
If I had a peso for every hooker I screwed who had a fist full of "Certificates" I'd retire!
"OH!", I am retired!
In the DR, "It's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know!"
In case you haven't noticed all the incompetents who ARE working.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps. Robert is SOOOOOO RIGHT!
My tongue is like a piece of raw meat, from me biting it,rather than give you my ideas for getting her a "JOB"! :lick::lick::lick:

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'm not talking about stupid nonsense certificates, I'm talking of specific training like mentioned above. Maybe it was your environment that opened you up to such incompetence but all fields aren't like that. Military, languages, medical, legal for example, their will be exceptions, there always is, but it is not worth giving up because you don't have any contacts.

But whatever the situation is, the entire workforce does not have connections, so it is worth making the effort as it is without doubt 100% more likely to improve your life than waiting around for someone to offer you something.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I worked in the medical field here for 10 years.
It's the same there!
The "so called" technicians" didn't know anything!
"NURSES", you have got to be kidding me!
They don't know, or understand, basic sterile technique, and neither do the doctors.
In X-Ray, they have all the patients waiting to get X-Rayed sitting inside the X-ray room.
I happen to be a certified OR tech so I know sterile technique.
There ARE, a very few technical jobs, computer, communication, etc. where high level training is needed.
The OTHER 90%, "Not-So-Much!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I worked in the medical field here for 10 years.
It's the same there!
The "so called" technicians" didn't know anything!
"NURSES", you have got to be kidding me!
They don't know, or understand, basic sterile technique, and neither do the doctors.
In X-Ray, they have all the patients waiting to get X-Rayed sitting inside the X-ray room.
I happen to be a certified OR tech so I know sterile technique.
There ARE, a very few technical jobs, computer, communication, etc. where high level training is needed.
The OTHER 90%, "Not-So-Much!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'm aware you are from the medical field. That's you experience where as I have different experience, several friends who are studying to work within various military medical positions, there is no 'friend of a friend' entry into that, it is 3 years training and a decent package so I here.
Other friends work in various jobs in the AF or FA, good salary, RD60-85000, again there is no easy way into those jobs.

Our opinions are down to our individual lives and experiences, I'm not seeing this 'connections into work' idea as much as you are, I am aware it exists because it does everywhere else in the world, that is how the jobfront works. I'm living around working/middle class Dominicans where pretty much everyone goes out to work every day.
There is no doubt that there is an absolute abundance of ignorance and incompetence here in even the simplest of jobs, customer service for example, but this is not what we are discussing. We are discussing the way into a decent job, and effort is more likely to get you further than none, that is just a fact.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The reality is that this girl is working in a clothes store or something and is brasso, so I doubt training is going to be an option. Dominicans struggle to think of the future, think ahead. Those that do can make something of themselves, the minority unfortunately.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
Ok, I know this is a long shot, but I'm trying to help a friend. My friend is a Dominican born and raised in Santiago where she currently lives. She speaks only spanish. She currently has a job in retail but the pay is very low and she is struggling to survive. She is hard working and an honest person. I am trying to help her find a better job and am asking the members of the forum for any help, leads or advice. Maybe someone knows a business in Santiago looking for a reliable employee. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you

I suggest she send her resume to UNO to apply for the Microsoft project. There are different departments in microsoft, one is sales and pays 150 an hour mon-fri. I'm not quite sure but I think they work 6 hours a day, some work 8 hours. She would be able to work and go to school if she wanted to.

Nov 25, 2008
I would love to hook up with a couple of people in Santiago, Dog Bone, CC, Chip are invited and play a game of Monopoly, and of course film it to sell on the Web, we will make a bundle just on the conversation topics....