Your maximum Codeltel Flash (ADSL) speed

Feb 2, 2013
Dear all,

I have been researching a bit how much speed could be possible to get on our specific line from Codetel so I can avoid buying more speed than I actually get. I wanted to share what I have found with you.

First from background. We have had Codetel internet service in the house, which is in Punta Cana, since 2009. We have had the most basic service, 1mbps/256kbps, since start. End of last year I noticed a significant improvement in Skype quality from the house, I suspect it is the latency on the line (the delay for a data package to travel) which has improved, I am guessing due to improved backhaul from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo in Codetels network (not sure if they have put down fiber or using wireless links).

Anyhow so I started to think about an upgrade as speedtest.net was showing that I clearly was getting the max available speed I was paying for.

The first thing I recommend you in the similar scenario is to surf to your modems status page, usually found at 192.168.1.1 or your default gateway IP address. We have the GT580 modem and it is accessible wihtout a login. In any case, Codetel usually use the serial number of our modem as username and password if that does not work.

Secondly find the detailed status page for the DSL connection. This should show you two important numbers, the attenuation (the resistance in the line, i.e. the implied distance to your phone station) and the SNR (signal to noise ratio).

Start with the attenuation. Look at your number, it should be as low as possible. I had 52 for download. Read this chart for ADSL2+: Internode :: Residential :: ADSL Broadband :: Easy Broadband :: Performance. Here you can see the max speed for a certain number. For my number 52 I read about 5mbit.

I then looked at the SNR (could also just be SN or something similar). This number should be as high as possible, meaning you have a stronger signal compared to noise. The lowest recommended number is about 6-7 for a mostly stable line. I had a number of 20 for download meaning there was some room.

I looked at their speedchart and decided to take this in steps. So I decided to start with 3Mbit/1mbit service. I called Codetel customer service, punched my way for english service and had it ordered within 5 minutes on a friday at 8pm. Pretty good. They told me I would not change my contract or commitment.

Next morning at 10am the change went trough. I did restart the modem a couple of times to make sure it resynced when the new provisioning was done, checking at the modem status page to see when it synced at a higher speed. Voila - it did sync at 3mbit/1mbit. Speedtests confirmed this new speed and yes it seems at least this saturday morning that I get what I paid for.

As expected the attenuation stayed the same but SNR dropped to 6. So there you have it, this seems to be my max speed. I will not push it further.

There is a risk that a higher speed comes at the expense of a more unreliable line. Time will tell. And I am not sure if congestion in the backhaul will limit my effective speed at evenings but so far I am happy.

Good luck with figuring out your theoretical codetel max!

Feb 20, 2011
I want to order this week Claros's Internet Fijo + Telefonia Fija package, which will give me 800 minutes a month for the phone and 3mbps down and 768 kbps up; do I understand correctly that your service is giving you
1mbps upload speed?:surprised

Feb 2, 2013
I want to order this week Claros's Internet Fijo + Telefonia Fija package, which will give me 800 minutes a month for the phone and 3mbps down and 768 kbps up; do I understand correctly that your service is giving you
1mbps upload speed?:surprised

Hm, yes you are right, the 3Mbit plan is 768/3000. I am sorry for confusing you. Looking again I am currently synced at 1033/3648 which tells me I am at 4mbit plan. I think the customer service guy put me at the higher plan by mistake and I am pretty sure I am paying for it in that case :). He did ask me twice if I wanted the 4Mbit or 3Mbit plan I and I told him 3Mbit over and over again... I guess they decided to upsell me by their own device when I did not go for it on their suggestion :).