new hotels & hostels, SD

ratzo

Feb 18, 2012
Greetings! Wanted to send my favorable review of a place I stayed this past week (end of January 2013). It's not the Ritz but that's not what I look for or can afford. The Hostel bookers only has space for the first paragraph & I am a long winded irishman in search of publication, a process that usual ends up in the courts! But not in this case. Here goes:

Half renaissance villa, half tree house, this charmingly traditional hotel is so new that when I stayed there workers were still adding decorations and drainage systems to the roof. It is clean and spacious, and very close and conveniently located to Calle Conde, which is one of the social centers of the Zona Colonial. Staff were helpful, especially the manager, who has considerable experience in hostels elsewhere on the Island. I appreciated their work to obtain a lower taxi fare to airport!

The layout of the hotel—two large sitting rooms, a terrace with kitchen, a rooftop bar (apparently not yet operating in January 2013) and a small pool (very pleasant) make this a place that will accommodate a crowd very well, but when I visited there were still only a few travelers.

Rooms in this three floor traditional building surround a garden, with a sort of Dominican “yellow brick road” which one follows through the plantings to a spiral staircase up to other levels. Signs of creativity are all around, with art and sculpture as well as plantings proliferating. To me, however, the high ceilings and large by hostal standards rooms were an especially welcome touch. Hopefully these will continue to be well maintained. Bunk beds were large, clean and comfortable-- though the mosquitoes were a challenge for somr guests.

Possibly some further fine tuning is needed to make the showers more inviting and also make the bunk beds a bit safer, since one needs to be careful—I hit my head several times. Also, for those squeamish about slipping on the garden spiral stairway up two levels –especially as weather is tropical and it frequently changes from sun to rain to sun-- there is an indoor stairway as well. Again, this is a charming place and I was glad to wash my clothes and cook a meal. One caveat—during the weekend nights (only) there can be a bit of noise from the club across the small Calle Sanchez.

I would like to return!

Last edited:

ratzo

Feb 18, 2012
PS I stayed in the dorms (hence the split-level loft-style bunk beds) but I believe there are individual rooms as well. This place is at 254 Calle Sanchez, between Calle Mercedez and Calle Conde in ZC, SD. Kept locked and with front desk open 24/7.