Do Dominican women make good mothers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Spin off alert

Well they churn them out, but are they any good at the after care?

Discuss!

(For the purpose of this discussion I will allow some generalization, but lets not get all JMB on this and start proclaiming all Dominican mothers would sell their kids for a few grand.)

deecat3

Apr 1, 2006
dominican mothers

Spin off alert

Discuss!

(For the purpose of this discussion I will allow some generalization, but lets not get all JMB on this and start proclaiming all Dominican mothers would sell their kids for a few grand.)

Sorry I am not GENERALIZING.........however, from what I see, they have many kids to get $ from the fathers, but they let everyone elso look after them, so they can enjoy life as if they don't have a care in the world.....

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
If you are the mothers child you're fine.
Go to school whenever you like or NOT!
Rob the fridge whenever you want!

Being the mother is hard, being the father of the Not your kids is very HARD!
But forever in love with mi esposa :)
She treats me like one of her kids and BETTER;)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I don't know a single Dominican who doesn't adore his/her mother, some most be doing something right.

Seriously, this belongs in the clown bin.

Undoubtedly you are really asking "Are Dominican women worthy of being mother to our gringo children"?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Spin off alert

Congratulations on appointing yourself a moderator:)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
There's something that bothers me every time I see it. And I see it a lot around here. Mothers who hire nanas to look after their children. Not only at home, but when they go out, too. You see nanas in restaurants helping little children with their food while their mothers talk to their friends. You see nanas in stores running after little kids so they won't make a mess while their moms do their shopping. You see nanas walking with kids in parks and malls, while their mothers have a nice day out. A little help at home doesn't bother me, but leaving all the work of raising your child to an employee is sad for everyone involved.
No wonder a friend of mine always says: "A Dominican woman who carries her child in arms is because she can't afford a nana"

Dec 26, 2011
I am living wqith a woman who has 2 teenagers, I have just moived in and don't know a lot about their family life as yet, but SHe was calling out "Ho, Ho" to one of her kids, and I assumed it was the girl, but found out the boy's name is Joel and it comes out as Ho!

Yep. Joel is pronounced Ho-el. Yoel is also used. Resembling our English Jo-el.

Congrats on the new family!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know I'll get blasted for this, but one thing that bothers me, and that I truly can't grasp, is how many Dominican mothers live in other countries and leave their children behind in DR for someone else to raise. It's accepted and rather common, from what I've seen.

Mr. AE's sister left her daughter in SD when she moved to NY, the girl was about 5. She brought her to NY to go to high school, then she went back to SD for college. Mr. AE's brother and wife had child in NYC, brought the boy to San Pedro to her mother when he was still a baby, left him there until it was time for first grade.

How does a mother DO that?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Spin off alert

Discuss!

Mothers = NO
Grand-Mothers = YES

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I know I'll get blasted for this, but one thing that bothers me, and that I truly can't grasp, is how many Dominican mothers live in other countries and leave their children behind in DR for someone else to raise. It's accepted and rather common, from what I've seen.

Mr. AE's sister left her daughter in SD when she moved to NY, the girl was about 5. She brought her to NY to go to high school, then she went back to SD for college. Mr. AE's brother and wife had child in NYC, brought the boy to San Pedro to her mother when he was still a baby, left him there until it was time for first grade.

One of my cousins daughters lives in the states.She left her 18 month old baby girl with her
mother to raise.Now she has a boyfriend and I can bet when she comes out pregnant,she will
take the baby to her mother to raise also.

You asked how does a mother do that? Here's my answer....She's NOT a mother.

Last edited:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Leaving your kids at home doesn't mean you wouldn't want to be with them, that you don't love them and that you are over there having a glamorous life

First of all, most people go abroad because of work, not really because they want to live there. If you are a mother who left, you are working full time and, most of the time, in a bad place to send money home so that your kid can have a nice life. You being there doesn't mean that you want your kid living in a bad neighborhood in a tiny apartment with you. And also, if you had your kid there you wouldn't be able to watch her/him; You'd have to hire someone anyway, a stranger! Mothers have some sort of peace of mind when they leave their kids home with a trusted relative, usually the grandma. By the way, if you wanna know what your kid's up to, you can call a neighbor and they will surely tell you.

Then there's the parents who are afraid of "losing" their kids to drugs and other influences. While in the DR you can have control over your kids, even if they're close to or older than 18. I've heard many concerned parents say that their afraid of bringing their kids to NY! There is also fear of schools there, with the bullying going on. Here you know that your kids are in school and you can be sure that no one is going to stab them, shoot them or beat them up and send them to the hospital.

Of course, many parents still "lose" their kids while in the DR. Sending stuff isn't isn't enough and the love of a trusted relative can't make up for a mother but for most people this works.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Leaving your kids at home doesn't mean you wouldn't want to be with them, that you don't love them and that you are over there having a glamorous life

First of all, most people go abroad because of work, not really because they want to live there. If you are a mother who left, you are working full time and, most of the time, in a bad place to send money home so that your kid can have a nice life. You being there doesn't mean that you want your kid living in a bad neighborhood in a tiny apartment with you. And also, if you had your kid there you wouldn't be able to watch her/him; You'd have to hire someone anyway, a stranger! Mothers have some sort of peace of mind when they leave their kids home with a trusted relative, usually the grandma. By the way, if you wanna know what your kid's up to, you can call a neighbor and they will surely tell you.

Then there's the parents who are afraid of "losing" their kids to drugs and other influences. While in the DR you can have control over your kids, even if they're close to or older than 18. I've heard many concerned parents say that their afraid of bringing their kids to NY! There is also fear of schools there, with the bullying going on. Here you know that your kids are in school and you can be sure that no one is going to stab them, shoot them or beat them up and send them to the hospital.

Of course, many parents still "lose" their kids while in the DR. Sending stuff isn't isn't enough and the love of a trusted relative can't make up for a mother but for most people this works.

You make good points,but on the other hand there is no bond between mother and child.
Looking at it through a child's point of view it's called abandonment.I struggled with my
children living in the states when I got a divorce and it never entered my mind to send
my children away to live with relatives in the DR.I could not even think about separating
myself from my children.Love them too much.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
No money or "nice life" she could provide for her kid is ever going to make up for lack of a mother. It's something that must be understood a all cost, and stop doing wrong things just for money and material stuff.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Most caring, self sacrificing, and loving mother I have ever seen. The kids worship her. The house does not have a single rule -sleep all day on the weekends, stay up all night with the tv, leave your clothes and dirty dishes wherever. And she worries about them all the time. Just so long as they are doing well in school there are no rules.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

How does a father do that? I don't like this idea that mothers have the ultimate love of the child where as the father is the sperm donar home help and bank.
I couldn't ever imagine being separated from my daughter for any extended amount of time, I start getting depressed when she goes to her grandparents for the weekend, although I often want her to return to her grandparents when she does return full of chocolate and coca cola.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You make good points,but on the other hand there is no bond between mother and child.
Looking at it through a child's point of view it's called abandonment.I struggled with my
children living in the states when I got a divorce and it never entered my mind to send
my children away to live with relatives in the DR.I could not even think about separating
myself from my children.Love them too much.

Well, it is a common practice in my community as well (and many other immigrants community I believe). First, you have to understand that these mothers love their children as much as you and I do. The children do understand that their parents are doing the sacrifice for their own good and don't necessarily feel abandonned. The bond between the mother and child is there, but different.

No money or "nice life" she could provide for her kid is ever going to make up for lack of a mother. It's something that must be understood a all cost, and stop doing wrong things just for money and material stuff.

It is not Black and white. It is not necessarily the money and material stuff. It is also for the children to have access to better school for examples and being immersed in their culture too. I know children who stayed here in the US and others that parents sent or left back home for a few years. Most of the times, the latter are doing much better when they come back. Actually, night and days, kids have attended good school, have much more respect for their elders, and understand the concept of hard work. So, I kinda understand where they coming from although this is not something I could do myself (again I am lucky enough that I can give my children a decent life and access to things here in the US that immigrant parents working 70 hours a week, living in the hood can't).

So, I am more with Aguaita on that one. The problem usually arose when the trusted relatives were not to be trusted and the money destined for the children (school, clothes and other stuff) is waisted on useless things.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sometimes the "apple does not fall far from the tree". If the child (girl) grows up with the idea that she is the one who has the child but mom (grandma) will take care of the child then this may be the likely scenario. I have seen where a mother leaves her child/children to live in another country and while the intentions seemed correct I have questioned it at times. Some mothers "forget" that responsibility once they pass through the doors at the airport while others really suffer because of it. My sister in-law had 2 kids and my mother in-law raised them while my sister in-law was in med school in the Capital. The intention was good. Then my niece got pregnant at 16 (whole other story) and guess who takes care of the baby, you got it, my sister in-law. But this is common here, nothing unusual. I do not doubt the love a mother has for her child but what I question is their sense of responsibility or lack of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.