Do dominican men make good fathers

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
For some Dominican men being a good father/spouse..is not in their gene make-up. They are there to "plant the seed" not much more. But I can say I have meet a few who are very good fathers, it is just not very common. It is that macho culture.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My husband brought up his 3 sons on his own until I met him. Their mother left to go off with a man who made more money, when the youngest was 3 weeks old. I think he has done a great job, and lots of men are left with male children when mothers leave as the new husband will cope with daughters who are not theirs but not with boys. Tradition is that when the family splits up the men take the boys and the women the girls. Lots of Dominican men are single parents.

Matilda

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My husband brought up his 3 sons on his own until I met him. Their mother left to go off with a man who made more money, when the youngest was 3 weeks old. I think he has done a great job, and lots of men are left with male children when mothers leave as the new husband will cope with daughters who are not theirs but not with boys. Tradition is that when the family splits up the men take the boys and the women the girls. Lots of Dominican men are single parents.

Matilda

She left to be with another man when the youngest was 3 weeks old? What a shame!

devdev

May 14, 2011
people shouldn't be so judgmental and prejudice~my husband is a great father!

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
So true on how the boys go with dad and girls with mom. But it is kind of ironic though that when girls are little they are "daddy's little girl" and boys when little cling on to mommy. My spouse is a great dad, my brother in-law is a joke. Go figure.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I was married to a Dominican for many years and have 4 children with him. When we were together he was a WONDERFUL father. When we divorced he was excellent until he got into a jealous relationship and the woman was keeping him from seeing his kids cause she was afraid we'd go back together. His visits were questionable with the kids, but the money was never late so in his eyes he was an amazing father. Honestly I can't bad mouth him, he definitely has tried to be a good father. I'm now here in the DR and he's in NY and he calls frequently, and visits when he can. We are headed back to NY this year, so he will see them more..

I have to say that men DEFINITELY accept step children as their own and truly are better stepdads than most men in my own family. I was single for years and dated men before my current husband. Dominican men never forget to ask about your children, bring gifts for them, etc.. Maybe it's part of the courting plan, but it knocked me off my feet. No American guy I ever dated cared to ask about the kids until things were very serious.

My kids love my husband and respect him as their father figure. He will call when away from the house and ask to speak to each one of them, even if he's only been away for a few hours. I believe he truly cares.

My vote is Dominicans can make awesome dads. But of course they must be GOOD husbands in order to make a good father figure.. If they are out messing around, well that's not a good father in my eyes cause the example for the kids is horrible.

I have my 3 kids here with me, my oldest son is in NY with my mother. He's 18, and comes for visits when time permits, and he loves and adores my husband too.

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
people shouldn't be so judgmental and prejudice~my husband is a great father!

Like I've said before, people on here are often judgmental and prejudice because all they really know about the country they live in and it's people is what people tell them or they read. Many with an opinion have little to no experience in what they pass judgment.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Many Dominican men are good dads with the family they are with, at the moment. They can be great, change diapers and everything and then after a divorce or a split, they get married again, have a couple of new kids and they are good parents to those kids but neglet the previous ones.
I know guys who are on their third family! No only that, but they have no fear of having more kids, even when they know that they won't be able to support them.