Salty moist air - corrosion & mold

Feb 2, 2013
Guys,

I am pretty amazed on how anything till rust in a few months here if kept close to the ocean. And plastic just falls apart. Our house is close to the ocean and I would love some ideas on the following issues:

Corrosion on pumps, AC units and everything else outside - what can be done? Spray WD40?

On stored towels we had strange bleaching patterns when folded in a stack. I suspect the air from the ocean, perhaps traveling over the pool with chlorine and then into the storage room. What can be done? Keep in plastic bags? I am thinking it would probably mold instead.

Thankful for your thoughts!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
anti-corrosive paint on metals like bars in windows, gates and so on. once every two years.
use better woods like oak and mahogany; sand and varnish again every two years.
invest in a dryer for fabrics, you can thank me later.
get dehumidifiers, we are using eva-dry in all wardrobes: Portable Dehumidifiers | Eva-Dry
in addition i have bounce sheets between towels and bed sheets for freshness: Bounce Dryer Sheets
on really nice hot summery days drag your mattresses outside and leave in the sun for a whole day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
living close to the oceans calls for very tough measures... apart from treating the iron and wood you need to repaint the house and roof more often, wash and wax your car more regularly and invest money in constant maintenance.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
How about the tsunami risk? Lived there in the Florida Keys, not all that its made out to be.