English Speaking Tour Guide

amale9999

Nov 12, 2012
I've been to Santo Domingo 4 times in the past 3 months
I really enjoy the city, but am staying around the Malecon primarily

I'm interested in seeing more of the city and going to some restaurants, clubs or bars outside of the Zona Colonial and the Malecon.

Does anyone know of an English speaking tour guide that is available on Friday evenings who would go with me to show me the city and go to clubs or bars as well?

I've tried contacting a travel agency but no luck.

I would also feel fine if there was a college kid that spoke English that could do the same kind of thing.
I have no problem paying them for their time.

I speak very little Spanish and truthfully, not a lot of folks speak English at all down there, so the language has been the biggest hurdle for me.

I leave to go back down this Friday the 8th of February.

Thanks

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Wow usually in these two place there are many Dominicans that speak English, you never hear the words being shouted " HEY MY FRIEND, WHERE ARE YOU FROM? HOW LONG ARE YOU HERE? Zona Colonial y el Conde are crawling with hustlers and ALL of them speak English. Some are cool, but others you have to stay clear of.

My advice is hook up with a taxi driver that DOES NOT speak English and hang out with him. All of the taxi drivers know everything about SD you need to know where to party, where to find good food for cheap, women( if that is you thing) etc.

I know you stated you do not speak a lot of Spanish, but this is a great way to learn Spanish and a lot of taxi drivers know some English and you know some Spanish so I do not think it will be too difficult. You will see they are the BEST tour guides.

BTW Be VERY careful around Dominicans in Colonial Zone and around the malecon that speak English fluently.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You're basically looking for someone to go out for a drink with?
Tell people a bit about yourself and you might get lucky and invited out to join someone and their group. Friday night there are lots of people out and about.
I think the taxi idea is silly, unless you are just on a brothel crawl and pay for his end as well.
Taxi drivers like to earn and if you are paying him for his time then it could end up costing you more by the end of the night than you anticipated, failure to pay might even end up in a night in a cell. Cab drivers are often associated with PN and will work together if they spot a naive gringo willing to pay for company (paying for friends will be seen as a weakness in you and exploited.) Stay away from Dominicans full stop when you are looking to give money away so easily.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You're basically looking for someone to go out for a drink with?
Tell people a bit about yourself and you might get lucky and invited out to join someone and their group. Friday night there are lots of people out and about.
I think the taxi idea is silly, unless you are just on a brothel crawl and pay for his end as well.
Taxi drivers like to earn and if you are paying him for his time then it could end up costing you more by the end of the night than you anticipated, failure to pay might even end up in a night in a cell. Cab drivers are often associated with PN and will work together if they spot a naive gringo willing to pay for company (paying for friends will be seen as a weakness in you and exploited.) Stay away from Dominicans full stop when you are looking to give money away so easily.

Yeah and inviting a total stranger out for drinks that started a thread on a website called DR1 is NOT silly. Man!!! is it anything you do not know about Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and Dominicans? If he HIRES a tour guide he would have to pay for the tour guide and the taxi as well, because 99.9% of the tours DO NOT have a car, so why are you telling him to pay DOUBLE just to sight see and see other clubs that are in the Zone or the malecon.

Just because the PN push you around doesn't mean that everybody is Givedogahome. I know the CZ and malecon like the back of my hand and I NEVER heard of taxi driver setting up his customers for the PN of all people PN. Taxi drivers like to make money and show the tourists a good time so when they come back they will always remember the cool taxi driver that took care of them. If a taxi driver in the zone sets up his customer on a regular basis he will HURT every taxi driver in the CZ and that is why certain taxi drivers are only station in the Zone. I know a guy in the zone I met in 2006 and he is always parked in the same spot even today.

Taxi drivers are totally harmless in DR and your putting them in the same boat as PN? Why am I not suprised.

To the OP: My first time in San Jose Costa Rica the trip was quite boring until I met the coolest taxi driver in the world. San Jose as a street just like el Conde but has a lot people walking on it about 100% more people. A taxi driver saw me three days in a row walking up and down the street looking bored, and stop me and asked me" why do you only walk around here? There are much better places in Costa Rica then downtown San Jose" and that was years ago now I OWN Costa Rica all because of a wonderful taxi driver showed me the "right" places to be in and around San Jose. The funny thing about it now, I NEVER EVER hang out in downtown San Jose, because the suburbs are much better.

BTW Giveadog the PN and a taxi driver robbed you once in Santo Domingo LOL Do not even try to deny it. How much did they get from you?

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yes, you know it all JMB. You fly in and out in less than a week. You know the malecon and the ZC like the back of your hand? Yes, the Malecon is one street and the ZC is not exactly difficult to navigate, so what is your point? (don't answer that, I know your point, you know it all like most tourists do when they have been a few times.

At least you have managed to up the game and integrate sufficiently to be more Dominican than I, married for 8 months and abandoned them both because you missed your mommy, now it doesn't get more Dominican than that, so I bow down to you.

Now as far as PN goes, yes I have had a couple of run ins with the PN over the years, it is no secret on here that I hate PN, many many people who live here have had a run in with them or at some point preferred to take the easy way out of a stand off, it really is not that unusual. It wouldn't happen these days, but I still despise them.
As far taxis? well my wifes family own a taxi business, a whole load of the cars you see on the streets working and have been in the business here in the capital for many years. So yes, I do know what they get up to, and some, it's a crude business.

Now I am not taking your approach to this and going into attack mode because I disagree with you and you want to start throwing silly comments about. My point was to warn the OP that he seems very enthusiastic to throw some money around, paying for someones night out and then for their time is a advertisement for ending the evening in a whole load of trouble. Yes, Taxi drivers and the PN are the prime people to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists, taxis get a chance to see who has the cash on them, and how drunk people are getting, and the PN are available for a shakedown when ever they get a call from a cab that they have an easy target.
People on here often meet up for drinks, I've met a few myself and it is a hell of a lot safer than wandering around the ZC looking for a cab driver to pay to take you where HE knows to take you. You are a liability advising people to do that, infact it's plain fkin stupid.

Now the fact that you find this so unlikely makes my point about how very very little you know about what you are talking about, this kind of shakedown is very common.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Yes, you know it all JMB. You fly in and out in less than a week. You know the malecon and the ZC like the back of your hand? Yes, the Malecon is one street and the ZC is not exactly difficult to navigate, so what is your point? (don't answer that, I know your point, you know it all like most tourists do when they have been a few times.

At least you have managed to up the game and integrate sufficiently to be more Dominican than I, married for 8 months and abandoned them both because you missed your mommy, now it doesn't get more Dominican than that, so I bow down to you.

Now as far as PN goes, yes I have had a couple of run ins with the PN over the years, it is no secret on here that I hate PN, many many people who live here have had a run in with them or at some point preferred to take the easy way out of a stand off, it really is not that unusual. It wouldn't happen these days, but I still despise them.
As far taxis? well my wifes family own a taxi business, a whole load of the cars you see on the streets working and have been in the business here in the capital for many years. So yes, I do know what they get up to, and some, it's a crude business.

Now I am not taking your approach to this and going into attack mode because I disagree with you and you want to start throwing silly comments about. My point was to warn the OP that he seems very enthusiastic to throw some money around, paying for someones night out and then for their time is a advertisement for ending the evening in a whole load of trouble. Yes, Taxi drivers and the PN are the prime people to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists, taxis get a chance to see who has the cash on them, and how drunk people are getting, and the PN are available for a shakedown when ever they get a call from a cab that they have an easy target.
People on here often meet up for drinks, I've met a few myself and it is a hell of a lot safer than wandering around the ZC looking for a cab driver to pay to take you where HE knows to take you. You are a liability advising people to do that, infact it's plain fkin stupid.

Now the fact that you find this so unlikely makes my point about how very very little you know about what you are talking about, this kind of shakedown is very common.

Look GiveamanaDominicanwife!!!! I am not you I have a country and a city where I was born and raised. My ENTIRE family is here in Chicago including my 9yr old daughter soon to be 10. You want me to apologize for wanting to live in the same area as my mother? Are you crazy or since you love Dominicans so much TU TA LOCO??? I am my mother only son and I take pride in being close to the woman that brought me into this world and you take pride in living in Santo Domingo.

As for the OP do you know how many tourists fly into Santo Domingo and head straight to the Colonial Zone? Thousands of them and they seem to be find because every week a NEW batch comes. Why in the HELL would a person looking for a nice time in Santo Domingo hangout with DR1 members? The OP wants to party not sit around and listen to a bunch expat compare how good they have it in a 3rd world country.

You have Santo Domingo all to yourself Doggie!!! You should be happy that JMB773 chooses to spend his time in San Jose CR and share a glass of wine with beautiful Ticas, Colombianas, Panamanian women, Nicas, I even once met a beautiful woman from Lima once in CR. You do not have to be "threaten" by me I am over Santo Domingo I have been for quite awhile now. You are the MAN!!! in Santo Domingo you are "top shelf" baby!!! Heavy DUTY LOL

I now know you run Santo Domingo, Chip runs Santiago, Bob Saunders run Jarabocoa and the mountains. I was weak in the DR I did not like that nasty ass beer, was not good in dominos, salami is not my favorite meat, didn't think Dominicans were good in baseball, didn't believe in paying for sex, didn't think people should walk around with "knock off" polo shirts etc All of this got me KICK OUT of DR. The only reason I am allowed to stay for 5 to 6 days only is because of my daughter otherwise I never would be allowed in DR.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Look GiveamanaDominicanwife!!!! I am not you I have a country and a city where I was born and raised. My ENTIRE family is here in Chicago including my 9yr old daughter soon to be 10. You want me to apologize for wanting to live in the same area as my mother? Are you crazy or since you love Dominicans so much TU TA LOCO??? I am my mother only son and I take pride in being close to the woman that brought me into this world and you take pride in living in Santo Domingo.
No apology to anyone will make your daughter not be embarrassed for you, that her father (sperm donar, whatever) came, spunked up her mom, married her and then after 8 months decided you missed your mommy and so abandoned them both, no apology will stop her being ashamed of your pathetic efforts to man up, no.
Most grown men once married with children have thought things through before entering into marriage, and some even before making babies they are not willing to take care of.
I want nothing, only for you to get real when you post. In what you do, you are everything that is wrong with this place, people come, use and abuse and leave knowing it all, and leaving people worse of for knowing you. It's sad.
And if you dislike it so much then you needn't return, you know the child thinks your pathetic, she won't be missing you. You spent many hours on DR1 for a busy guy with a complete life and hates the place, strange!

Now I'll ow out, we have hijacked this thread.

Sorry OP!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Not sure what is going on with this thread, but to the original poster, I know one or two people whom I trust who would be able to show you around and who speak English and would appreciate the money. Are you still interested?

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
No apology to anyone will make your daughter not be embarrassed for you, that her father (sperm donar, whatever) came, spunked up her mom, married her and then after 8 months decided you missed your mommy and so abandoned them both, no apology will stop her being ashamed of your pathetic efforts to man up, no.
Most grown men once married with children have thought things through before entering into marriage, and some even before making babies they are not willing to take care of.
I want nothing, only for you to get real when you post. In what you do, you are everything that is wrong with this place, people come, use and abuse and leave knowing it all, and leaving people worse of for knowing you. It's sad.
And if you dislike it so much then you needn't return, you know the child thinks your pathetic, she won't be missing you. You spent many hours on DR1 for a busy guy with a complete life and hates the place, strange!

Now I'll ow out, we have hijacked this thread.

Sorry OP!

tumblr_maohewUIpm1rzfg1lo1_400.jpg

amale9999

Nov 12, 2012
What the ****ity **** happened to my thread

Ok sport, while I appreciate a big dick swinging contest as much as the next guy
You fellows have seriously gotten far afield

Let's back up and regroup

I speak English Solomento
Looking for someone that knows Santo Domingo (Preferably female, but I'm flexible) who speaks good English to take me out of my comfort zone area of the Malecon and Zona Colonial and show me more of the city

Tour guide, College Kid, Taxi Driver...matters not to me

However, having said that, I will have to admit that I have NEVER gotten into a cab where they have not tried their darnedest to take me to the EXACT same "Clubs" with the $100 hookers. Every...single...time.

While I appreciate the concern about "Double Paying" or being able to get the service without having to pay someone
For me time is money, and I'm much more interested in getting what I'm looking for as far as a guide than I am in saving $20 (or $40 or $90 or whatever)

So if we can start over....

If anyone knows of a guide that speaks English in Santo Domingo and who would be available on a Friday Evening to show me the City and places of interest and hot clubs and interesting places to eat, I would love to meet them.

Thanks