dominican resorts where Dominicans go

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
any ideas on decent resorts where Dominicans go in th DR? Not interested in the standard package deals for Americans and Brits to Punta Cana and Puerto plata... need to be around Dominicans when I m there... no need to sit next to a dude from Boston or California and listen to crappy disco music... do Dominicans have all -inclusive deals that Dominicans take advantage of too, or is that something only foreigners do.? never having been to an all-inclusive it s all new to me..... thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think dominican only hotels would not be of much interest to you. these would be either cheapest barrio lair you can get that will give you a unique opportunity to observe hos with their johns or expensive places in SD where businessmen stay. most dominicans cannot afford to go to hotels, really. those who do go to AIs all over the country, mainly during easter.

so everywhere you go you will see foreigners. and some dominicans. if you insist on being among dominicans skip AI idea and just go to any hotel and then hand around colmados and car wash places.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Doms generally do the weekand A/I thing (fri-sat-sun). Ones I know attract a lot of Doms through experience are Talenquera, Juan Dolio, Coral Costa Caribe, Juan Dolio, Hamaca in Boca, weekends are crazy, fun if you like standing in a pool with a load of other men all day, talking bollox while getting incredibly drunk, and missing dinner. There is more rum in the pool than water by the end of the day.
Coral Costa Caribe wins hands down on value for money, in Juan Dolio but Boca is pretty nuts and fun of you don't need so much peace. IME.

When we went to both Be Live Carey in Confresi a year and a half ago (now called something else I think?) and Be live Grand Marien 3 months ago in Puerto Plata on the weekends it was always filled with Dominicans. They seem to frequent a lot of the AI's on the weekend like Silver said.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
thanks man you know what I m talking about, I go to the DR to meet Dominicans not some kids from Queens...I ll check out some of the names you give me....thanks
Doms generally do the weekand A/I thing (fri-sat-sun). Ones I know attract a lot of Doms through experience are Talenquera, Juan Dolio, Coral Costa Caribe, Juan Dolio, Hamaca in Boca, weekends are crazy, fun if you like standing in a pool with a load of other men all day, talking bollox while getting incredibly drunk, and missing dinner. There is more rum in the pool than water by the end of the day.
Coral Costa Caribe wins hands down on value for money, in Juan Dolio but Boca is pretty nuts and fun of you don't need so much peace. IME.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think Coral Costa Caribe probably is closer to what you'd be looking for bud, depends if you're going with your Dominican pal or alone, CCC will be a bit boring alone.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If you're visiting, you might also consider splitting your time between a resort and a hotel in the Colonial Zone of Santo Domingo.

I've been to a couple of resorts, and I get bored with them after three days. But that's me. I'd much rather be in the Colonial Zone soaking up history and watching people.

Feb 7, 2007
In PUJ, Dominicans usually visit these hotels:
Barcelo Dominican Beach
Barcelo Punta Cana
Caribe Club Princess
Tropical Princess
80%... the rest is spread among other hotels.
Also, Dominicans usually visit in off-season (may-june, and september-november) and on weekends. If it is off-season and long weekend, you will be sure to find Dominicans there.
Any 3-4 star AI will have them.
Not so 5*, like Bahia Principe, Majestic, Paradisus, Dreams, NH, etc.
Ocean Blue is also popular with higher-middle class Dominicans, but you must go off-season or on Holy week or other 3-day holiday weekend, the hotel is pretty booked up always.
Rich Dominicans now have a "thingy" for Hard Rock hotel, but it's a monster and you run only a very slight chance to bump into a Dominican even if 500 of them are there at the same time.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
You like being around Dominicans ? that means your still in nthe wannabe stage , the dominicans that can afford to go to AIs could care less about being around foreighners .

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I heard many Dominicans uses points off of credit cards to get in to AI cheaper or free, so in off season you will see many in AIs. When I went to Gran Ventana last year around April/May, it felt like 95% were spoken Spanish and beside group discounted church going Korean families, only handful were from or US/Europe. So if you want to be around many locals, I suggest go to AI in off season or if you live in DR, check the paper or travel agents for many of the specials, cheaper it gets you will see more locals there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You like being around Dominicans ? that means your still in nthe wannabe stage , the dominicans that can afford to go to AIs could care less about being around foreighners .
The sort of Dominicans who go to those resorts are probably not what he has in mind either. I would suggest places like Agua Azul in Mao, La Confluencia in Jarabacoa or any public beach on a long weekend, but they are not resorts as such.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Fish, in that case I would suggest Playa Caleton in RSJ. Much less touristy, loads of locals, and yes, you will get deaf on the weekend.

BelgianK