Puerto Plata Eye Doctor ?

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
Does anyone know of a opthamologist they would recommend in Puerto Plata area to diagnose eye infection ?

Thank you !

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Dr Bourrough at Bournigal.

There was a thread on same thing recently and Dr. Bourrough got support from several.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Dr Bourrough at Bournigal.

There was a thread on same thing recently and Dr. Bourrough got support from several.

I would like to see those posts on support for Dr. Bourrough's Ken. I saw none and my own research and my American Insurance showed me to another in Santo Domingo.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Very good JOE.

If you have read the other tread, you will learn about REAL experience. Yes... a very good Dr. here on the North Coast recommended the POP Dr. and we called 5 times. None of the answers where within our bounds at all.

My eyes are done now using the Santo Domingo Dr. GREAT. I have some healing time for the next 6 weeks.

The Doc. here that recommended the POP Dr. asked for and has the Santo Domingo Dr.s' name and number.

WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET IT? Learn from those that have been here and have had it done. FOR REAL!

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Well, my experience with Dr Burroughs has not been great. I have consulted him and got a full exam about the huge increase in floaters in my eyes. He said not to worry and gave me anti-inflammatory drops. I specifically asked him about retina detachment and he said no.

1 month later I consulted another ophthalmologist in Santiago, Dr Sebastian Guzman at Clinica Corominas who diagnosed a big hole in my retina and detachment. Dr Guzman seemed very competent.

I decided to run back to Canada because of the lack of cleanliness at Corominas - worm crawling on the floor, and one of the staff did not seem to know how to remove the goop they had put in my eyes. So far the Ottawa Eye institute is doing the same thing that Dr Guzman recommended i.e. injection of gas bubble to be followed Friday by laser to close the hole. If the gas option is not successful I will need full surgery which frankly I would prefer to do in Canada.

So far, I give good marks to Dr Guzman.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
danielle, glad you write because i missed your call and my phone did not register your number. try my doctor in santiago, clinica union.
Bernardo Jos? Rodr?guez Rodriguez
Especialidad: Oftalmolog?a
Ubicaci?n: Torre A, Nivel 5, Suite 501
Tel?fono: 809-226-8686, Ext: 4501
Celular: 809-977-8186
Correo: imdo@codetel.net.do

i go there every year to get my eyes checked. he is also eye surgeon. graduated from med school in spain.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Dorota. I will keep your doctor name in file. The message I left you was a bit garbled as I was driving back from Santiago in a panic. I flew to Canada the next day and I am still here. Field of vision has decreased a bit more since the injection which the surgeon says is normal due to the gas bubble moving around and expanding. Please pray that I dont lose the vision.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fingers crossed. i am short sighted myself so i understand the dangers of losing sight completely (there is a great possibility of torn or detached retina in myopia). i hope it all goes well for you. best wishes from both of us!

topdeckgames

Oct 26, 2011
I unfortunately developed a detached retina in Sosua last February, but didn't realize the severity of the situation until I returned home after about a week. They installed that band around my eyeball, and it has healed ahead of the curve, but I still have only about 90% of my sight in that eye. Apparently, this is an indicator of higher risk of a detached retina in my other eye, so I am glad treatment is available in the DR, as I will be living there starting soon. Does anyone know an approximate cost range for this treatment? It was something like $6000 here in the US. I am guessing that it might be something like $2000 in the DR.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I had Humano insurance in the DR so did not quite worry about the cost. However, who is the right person/medical team/clinic to get it done is the real question. I would check out dv8's opthalmo BEFORE you need him so that if you have another emergency you know what to do.
Right now I am in Canada and my provincial health insurance is still valid so I have no problem in coming back here.
The hospital here put the gas bubble in yesterday. Unfortunately I can not see anything now out of that eye. Going back in this afternoon to find out why. Possibly surgery tomorrow.
Eyes are sooooo important. I would rather pay more and get the best care possible which does not guarantee i won't lose the sight but I think I have better chance here.

Triniboy

Jan 6, 2022
Sosúa
I realize that this is an old thread/discussion but I am looking for an Opthalmologist in the Sosúa/Puerto Plata area as about a week ago I began experiencing floaters and last night flashes/arcs of light.
I too have Humano insurance but should see an Opthalmologist ASAP. Any recommendations in this regard would be greatly appreciated

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
I realize that this is an old thread/discussion but I am looking for an Opthalmologist in the Sosúa/Puerto Plata area as about a week ago I began experiencing floaters and last night flashes/arcs of light.
I too have Humano insurance but should see an Opthalmologist ASAP. Any recommendations in this regard would be greatly appreciated

She is excellent, perfect English as well. Had a detached 5 years ago and she handled it perfectly. Everyone I have sent her way has been pleased.

Reactions: Triniboy

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018

She is excellent, perfect English as well. Had a detached 5 years ago and she handled it perfectly. Everyone I have sent her way has been pleased.
Dra. Giselle Morales Grisanty

Reactions: Triniboy