Retirement Planning

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
I am planning my retirement. No dates yet but should happen this year. I already review some of your postings (thank you all!) and I am clear about one critical issue: cost of living. No questions in that department. I am set and financially secure.

However, one vital issue which I cannot decide yet is "where" in DR should I retire. Here are our two first yard sticks....there are more to come...but lets start with these two.

1.- Beach. Absolutely. Non negotiable. As much as we enjoy urban life and we will miss the zest of the Santo Domingo nightlife, we love to walk in the beach, eat at beach restaurants, the laid back easiness of the island beaches etc. Unfortunately, unless you guys have news for me, SD its off the list. Boca Chica and/or Juan Dolio and/or similar are too depressed for our taste. But, in the other hand, we need to have some sense of community and a "city center", resort/tourist areas and resorts are acceptable but not enough. Cabarete and/or Sosua are not exactly what we are looking for but perhaps Puerto Plata?
2.- Expat/Retired community. We like to entertain, we love to interact with alike retired, foreigners or expats residing in the area. Cap Cana and Punta Cana/Bavaro was an option but we believe its too scattered and lacks what we will consider a critical mass of residents.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance to all

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Puerto Plata would probably make sense as you have beach, restaurants etc and Sosua and Cabarete are close by for more beach and more restaurants. It also has a city centre and some expats. There is also the English meeting place which has events and is, as it says, a meeting place. You cannot however just think about things in isolation. Good medical care should also be a priority, as maybe should reasonable access to an airport. Las Terrenas has the beaches, the restaurants and the expats but misses out on the high quality medical care. Same maybe for Cabrera. I am surprised you think Punta Cana/Bavaro does not have a critical mass of residents. While scattered there are some pockets where expats live.

Matilda

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You should look at Punta Cana. Punta Cana village and resort. Forget Cap Cana it's a ghost town.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
What is working for us is Luperon/ el Castillo. We are in the process of buying land. Luperon has small expat community. El Castillo has beach community. No tourism.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Since you are set financially, I would recommend that you come down and rent a car for a month and drive around to see the county. I think that in a month you will be able to see the possibliites.. probably less than that. Since you only have to decide between Punta Cana and various small north shore towns. Puerto Plata to Las Galeras.

You sound as if you do not know the country that well. Have you spent a lot of time here?

You will know right away if you like the villages.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. puerto plata
proximity to the airport: POP, short drive, STI, one hour away, both receive daily flights from USA and frequent flights from canada, less when it comes to europe
expat areas: puerto plata, sosua, cabarete, within 40 minutes drive
availability of foreign products: moderate, there is la sirena with a selection of all things american, in sosua there are few shops selling german and european products
beaches: plenty, including some more secluded areas, within one hour drive
medical: three small hospitals in the city and two big ones in santiago, one hour drive

2. punta cana
proximity to the airport: PUJ short drive away, LRM one hour away, SDQ 2-3 hours away; flights from the states and europe
expat areas: quite large community in punta cana and the biggest one, in SD just 2-3 hours drive
availability of foreign products: not sure but if it's not in PC then you will find anything you need in SD
beaches: some of the best beaches in the country are to the east
medical: i am sure there are some medical centers in PC but again, the best hospitals in DR are in SD, not that far away

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Matilda, I agree with you. Puerto Plata seems like a sound option. And its "only" 2,5 hours away from SDQ. Las Terrenas and Cabrera, as beautiful as they are, they are a bit apart and isolated for our taste. Dont get me wrong, I love Punta Cana/Bavaro...if you are staying at a hotel. Its the Caribbean as its best. But there is no city live (other than Higuey) and everything seems so scattered....too much for us. Even the coast line of Bavaro is dotted with small villages nested within the huge resorts...we think we will stick with the north coast for now.

Thank you so much for your input...:)

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
You are absolutely right. Thats the only safe way. Taking time off, renting a car and cruising around to get the real feeling of living. I will definetely check PUJ as Matilda has suggested but I got this gut feeling about the north. I still think PUJ and surroundings are stunning beautiful....but...we are talking about retirement not about a long weekend in a all inclusive resort.

Yes, I lived in the DR for some time. In different 3 occasions. Always because of work. But first of all, it was many moons ago (last time I was in DR was in 2004), secondly, its totally different to work/live knowing that you are leaving in two/three years than facing retirement in DR....priorities are different, basic needs are different (not only because of age)....its totally different....

Thats why I really appreciate your advice and comments..:)

Cheers!

Since you are set financially, I would recommend that you come down and rent a car for a month and drive around to see the county. I think that in a month you will be able to see the possibliites.. probably less than that. Since you only have to decide between Punta Cana and various small north shore towns. Puerto Plata to Las Galeras.

You sound as if you do not know the country that well. Have you spent a lot of time here?

You will know right away if you like the villages.

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Excellent feedback DV8...thank you so much.

POP is also 2,5 hours away from SDQ so, in any case, its as close/far as is Punta Cana. In PC, if I recall correctly, in El Cruce de Veron there was a international clinic (Hospitan?)...not sure if is still working or even open. Nonetheless, I am sure that other medical services are available near Punta Cana.

Thanks mate for your help....

1. puerto plata
proximity to the airport: POP, short drive, STI, one hour away, both receive daily flights from USA and frequent flights from canada, less when it comes to europe
expat areas: puerto plata, sosua, cabarete, within 40 minutes drive
availability of foreign products: moderate, there is la sirena with a selection of all things american, in sosua there are few shops selling german and european products
beaches: plenty, including some more secluded areas, within one hour drive
medical: three small hospitals in the city and two big ones in santiago, one hour drive

2. punta cana
proximity to the airport: PUJ short drive away, LRM one hour away, SDQ 2-3 hours away; flights from the states and europe
expat areas: quite large community in punta cana and the biggest one, in SD just 2-3 hours drive
availability of foreign products: not sure but if it's not in PC then you will find anything you need in SD
beaches: some of the best beaches in the country are to the east
medical: i am sure there are some medical centers in PC but again, the best hospitals in DR are in SD, not that far away

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Luperon....that sounds very interesting. I didnt think about the "other side" of Puerto Plata. I will definitely put it on my list.

May I ask if you considered long term rentals versus purchasing land?....I apologize if I am been too curious but I am not sure yet as what to do so your line of thinking could be very useful...:)

Thanks janlindy....good luck on your investment.

What is working for us is Luperon/ el Castillo. We are in the process of buying land. Luperon has small expat community. El Castillo has beach community. No tourism.

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Matilda, I agree with you. Puerto Plata seems like a sound option. And its "only" 2,5 hours away from SDQ. Las Terrenas and Cabrera, as beautiful as they are, they are a bit apart and isolated for our taste. Dont get me wrong, I love Punta Cana/Bavaro...if you are staying at a hotel. Its the Caribbean as its best. But there is no city live (other than Higuey) and everything seems so scattered....too much for us. Even the coast line of Bavaro is dotted with small villages nested within the huge resorts...we think we will stick with the north coast for now.

Remember to get your health insurance as soon as you have time for it. You never know when you need it. And as you know- rent a long time in the area you like before you buy anything.

There is plenty of "dream-homes" here. (watch out for the nice and polite newfound local friends who "can" help you with absolutely everything- including money placements.)

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Health Insurance.....good point Rattus....decent reliable companies in DR?...any suggestions?...I will like to check their website to loom at their coverage...costs...etc....

Thanks mate...

Remember to get your health insurance as soon as you have time for it. You never know when you need it. And as you know- rent a long time in the area you like before you buy anything.

There is plenty of "dream-homes" here. (watch out for the nice and polite newfound local friends who "can" help you with absolutely everything- including money placements.)

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
Long term rental...?...or buying??

Ok...so..little by little, and with your help, I already have a "relocation map options" of the DR. North Coast ranks high followed by Punta Cana/Bavaro. However, thanks again to some of you, I did some research and Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas and Samana sounds/looks fantastic and, with the new highway, its about as close as Pto. Plata or Pta. Cana to SDQ. So, thats that. Again, following one of you guys advice, I will take a few weeks time off, drive around and make a temporary decision.

Now, big question.....long time rental or buying property?

I know its a matter of personal choice....and I have my mind set on "long term rental". Not looking at "investment" opportunities, not thinking of selling...my investment funds will most likely give me higher yields than a real state operation in the DR...

Anyways....my real question is...I have seen lots of adds offering "dream houses"....for sale. Will I find the same variety, good locations, excelent quality, sizes, features, amenities, disposition etc if I search for a long term rental?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
First, welcome to DR1!

A minor point: SDQ is, at best, 3.5-4 hours from Puerto Plata, regardless of which of the two main roads you take. As the "old" way (through Santiago) will subject you to the full brunt of SD traffic, you need to add at least a half hour.

The new Samana highway is quicker, and drops you off right next to the airport, but you're still talking about a two-lane road in "Dominican" repair all the way from POP through at least Nagua. It ain't the Autobahn.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your new adventure!

jrvilanova

Feb 5, 2013
LOL...thanks DRob...note taken...:)

First, welcome to DR1!

A minor point: SDQ is, at best, 3.5-4 hours from Puerto Plata, regardless of which of the two main roads you take. As the "old" way (through Santiago) will subject you to the full brunt of SD traffic, you need to add at least a half hour.

The new Samana highway is quicker, and drops you off right next to the airport, but you're still talking about a two-lane road in "Dominican" repair all the way from POP through at least Nagua. It ain't the Autobahn.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your new adventure!