Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I Think I Need a New Barber.....

I went to the local barber yesterday to get my hair cut(and my mustache trimmed), and though the barber did a good job, I'm thinking of switching because I suspect he overcharges and he made several mistakes in dealing with me. When greeting him near his place of business he shook my hand and his grip was totally weak, I mean his handshake was a joke. A man with a weak handshake is a weak man that can't be trusted, and I have little respect for men who have soft handshakes.

The second mistake he made was in telling me that he is my "friend." This is only my second time using this guy's service and I don't even think he knows my first name. How on Earth can you call yourself someone's friend when you don't even know him? I'm also suspicious of people who emphasize friendship through words; if you're truly a friend you don't have to say it, you will show it. What do you guys pay for a haircut down in the DR? Letting me know the rates you pay will let me know whether I'm being overcharged, which I suspect that I am.

There is another thing about this guy that bothers me. His barbershop has been practically empty each time I've gone by. That makes me even less inclined to do business with him. If other people are not patronizing his business, why should I? Anyways, I've been pretty observant since moving down here. I size up businesses and individuals fast.....and if they don't measure up then I stop dealing with them forever. Anyways, the barber yesterday totally failed. The sad thing about it is that I was planning on using his services for many years to come, even taking my future sons there to get haircuts.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you might be better off getting your hair cut at the dog groomer.
    Just ask for the French poodle cut.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

75 pesos for a haircut in santiago but I always give him 150......still cheaper than canada at 20 bucks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    I think you might be better off getting your hair cut at the dog groomer.
    Just ask for the French poodle cut.
    You know from experience?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogerjac View Post
    75 pesos for a haircut in santiago but I always give him 150......still cheaper than canada at 20 bucks
    I appreciate your response rogerjac, yes the bastard is overcharging just as I suspected, the rate he charges is WAY more than 150 pesos. What a dumb, shortsighted fool, I was planning on using his service for many years to come. Why is it that so many business people take the short term profit over the long term gain? Guess I need to start shopping around for a new barber, the good news is that there are plenty in the area!

When it comes to patronizing local businesses and services, I'm loyal so long as the service provided is good and the rate is reasonable. I'm the type of guy who will use the same doctor/dentist/barber etc for years and years and recommend them to everyone I know BUT if they overcharge or cross me one time I will never do business with them again. I knew this Barber couldn't be trusted; his weak handshake was a dead giveaway as well as him calling me his "friend' he messed up bad when he said that.
    Last edited by Dark_Scorpion; 02-05-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you should go get a massage before you go get your hair cut, you are obviously a little up tight about the barber shop. If a guy gives me a weak handshake I just put it down that he can't be bothered, I am unimportant to him, so what, he is unimportant to me, just cut my hair, I'm not in the barber shop to have therapy or judge anyone by the handshake they have.
    If a guy calls me friend, funnily enough I just figure he is being friendly, I can't really complain that someone is making the effort to be friendly.

RD100-150, RD200 if he shaves you also.

Really funny you are so up tight about the barber not being manly enough, and then you come on the forum to complain about the guy that cuts your hair, lol.

I'm sure he'll live without your few pesos, and your sons, there are plenty barbers around I suggest you try the military base, you may even get a salute

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I there for a haircut and not to be his friend or for conversation. I walk in, quik handshake and how are you u. He knows how I want it and snip snip Im out of there.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    I think you should go get a massage before you go get your hair cut, you are obviously a little up tight about the barber shop. If a guy gives me a weak handshake I just put it down that he can't be bothered, I am unimportant to him, so what, he is unimportant to me, just cut my hair, I'm not in the barber shop to have therapy or judge anyone by the handshake they have.
    If a guy calls me friend, funnily enough I just figure he is being friendly, I can't really complain that someone is making the effort to be friendly.

RD100-150, RD200 if he shaves you also.

Really funny you are so up tight about the barber not being manly enough, and then you come on the forum to complain about the guy that cuts your hair, lol.

I'm sure he'll live without your few pesos, and your sons, there are plenty barbers around I suggest you try the military base, you may even get a salute
    I'm not sure about that, I've been in his shop twice and the place was dead both times. I've walked by other barbers in the area and they almost always had a few people there......interesting. Am I being too uptight? I don't think so. I'm analyzing
    local businesses to see who the best is, and that requires you to measure them in some way. I shook hands with my
    dentist; his handshake was firm and his service was good and prices are reasonable. I also shook hands with my landlord
    and his service has been good and his handshake was firm as well. The handshake test never lies......a weak handshake =
    a weak man.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are putting way too much thought into a simple hair cut.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogerjac View Post
    I there for a haircut and not to be his friend or for conversation. I walk in, quik handshake and how are you u. He knows how I want it and snip snip Im out of there.
    Exactly, which is why the "friend" comment was bad. First off, I take the word "friend" seriously. It is not a word that should be thrown around lightly. That is the problem with society, people use the words "friend" and "love" when they don't even know what it means. That barber was not and never will be my friend. He "was" my barber, and I say "was" because now I will be looking for a new one. I just don't believe you should mix friendship and business. You're either a friend or a business partner, I don't believe you can be both. I don't seek any friendship with any of the businesses I deal with in the DR.......I seek good service at a reasonable price, that is it.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast