New information on residency renewal for those close to Santiago

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I decided to call Migracion in Santiago to see if people could pick their residency up there rather than making two trips to Santo Domingo.

Step One

Find telephone number.

Yellow pages gave the number as 8099714218. No reply
The main Migracion website (new one) gave 2 numbers both were a bit odd. The first one was +1800 559 6580. I called it and it said that I had to dial +1880 not 1800, so I did that. A very nice American recorded message told me I would be charged at international rates, and to hold. I was then offered a US$25 restaurant voucher and told to press 1 to get my voucher. By this time I had a sneaky suspicion I would not end up being transferred to Migracion in Santiago. The next number on the Migracion website was also odd - +1 959 603 6035. Luckily when I tried that all lines were busy - was probably outer Mongolia. Next stop was www.gob.do - Portal del Estado Dominicano and there were two numbers there, so I tried the first one, 809-971-1333 and hey presto it was answered straightaway and it was Migracion in Santiago

Step Two

Tell them that I know there are new rules and we need a medical etc but could I pick card up at Santiago rather than making two trips to the capital. Answer was yes. You need to call into the Migracion office in Santiago before you go to the capital, which is easy if you go on the bus as it is right next to the Metro station and they will give you a bit of paper. You hand this in when you have your medical, and then you can pick the residency card up from Santiago. Medical results are available in 10 working days.

Matilda

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I think the paper they give you in Santiago is just a list of prerequisites. There are several. Let us know when you do it.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think the paper they give you in Santiago is just a list of prerequisites. There are several. Let us know when you do it.

No, she said that the paper would be to authorise the main office in Santo Domingo to send the card to Santiago for collection. It isn't for me, I am doing the citizenship route.

Matilda

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good to know. That cuts down on one trip to Santo Domingo.

How many trips does it still take to Santo Domingo to complete residency renewal?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Good to know. That cuts down on one trip to Santo Domingo.

How many trips does it still take to Santo Domingo to complete residency renewal?

Just the one I assume, as should be able to get it all done in one day and then go to Santiago to pick up card. Mind you you will need to get paper from Migracion in Santiago first, so if you want to go there first on way to Santo Domingo, might not be enough time to do it all in a day!

Mat

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just the one I assume, as should be able to get it all done in one day and then go to Santiago to pick up card. Mind you you will need to get paper from Migracion in Santiago first, so if you want to go there first on way to Santo Domingo, might not be enough time to do it all in a day!

Mat

So when you go to Santo Domingo and get the medical test done and all of the other paperwork, the results of the medical test are completed in about 10 working days (from information you just posted on another thread) then the medical test is automatically forwarded to Migracion and if everything is good they make the new card and send it to Santiago?

Only one trip to Santo Domingo sounds good even if it means one trip to Santiago.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
So when you go to Santo Domingo and get the medical test done and all of the other paperwork, the results of the medical test are completed in about 10 working days (from information you just posted on another thread) then the medical test is automatically forwarded to Migracion and if everything is good they make the new card and send it to Santiago?

Only one trip to Santo Domingo sounds good even if it means one trip to Santiago.

Exactly - plus initial visit to Santiago to get a piece of paper to give to Santo Domingo to ask them to send card to Santiago.