Asparagus

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It's not a popular vegetable with Dominicans.I don't know anyone who grows it.

Aug 21, 2007
I once saw it in the supermercado. They cut off the tops and were selling the bottoms of the stems.

So sad.

Lindsey

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've seen some expensive bunches of fresh asparagus in supermarkets, always looks a bit old and unappetising. It's almost certainly imported. It's also sold in tins and jars - not the same, I know.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen it in imported produce section in la sirena in POP.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I have searched high and low for fresh asparagus.....it is available in the capital.....at a price.....it's always on the menu of my favourite restaurants but they will not divulge their source.

Is asparagus grown in Dominican Rep.? can it be found in supermarkets?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Love, love, asparagus. I have found some (not very often) in the Super Market but just as Chiri said it was rather dated. Where are you finding it in the Capital? I have been to most all of the major super markets and seldom see it. Believe it or not last time my mom came she brought me some frozen asparagus. Not the same as fresh, but decent. Love grilled asparagus with lemon.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
So, on the subject of veggies, when does one plant Tomatos etc here? In Minnesnowta it is 2 weeks after the frost is out of the ground and in Florida it is whenever Home Depot puts out the plants, but when is it here?

I brought seeds with me from the states when I moved to the DR last year in the spring and
that's when I planted my veggies and herbs.I never gave it much thought as to when is the right time to plant.I figured since it's the tropics there's no right time to plant them.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
In Florida they are planted in the weeks before Christmas, because the summer is too hot. But I don't know abiut here. How did yours turn out?
Der Fish

Turned out great! Especially the herbs. I planted them in containers.I have more seeds and when I get there will plant them.I also have lemon seeds and mandarine seeds which I'm
going to plant them in containers and hopefully if they grow I will transplant them in the ground.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We have the best results in the cooler months - planting from Nov thru Jan.

Yes, we have tomatoes...... we grow them up strands of barbed wire.....

For keeping the veggies fresher - do NOT rinse the dirt off. They stay fresher, longer in their natural state = dirty.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's why I seldom bath!
"Grilled Asparagus", or as we call them, "Vegetarian Loli pops"!
I like to marinate them in olive oil, crushed garlic, and lemon before grilling!
They are one of the foods that go against my "Mantra", that if it tastes good, It's FATTENING!
"Salsa" is another one!
The "Third One", I will not mention!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I like to marinate them in olive oil, crushed garlic, and lemon before grilling!
They are one of the foods that go against my "Mantra", that if it tastes good, It's FATTENING!
"Salsa" is another one!
Always fond of asparagus, and Bacon-Wrapped asparagus is orgasmic experience in anybody's mouth.
And it's FATTENING as well.

May 29, 2006
Asparagus are perennials. My dad has had a patch for close to 40 years and it still does great. I think they have to winter over to get good flavor. The plant collects sugars during the summer to store it for the winter and then the spears pop up in the spring/early summer. The spears can grow a couple of inches just in a day. The other part of the plant looks a lot like dill.

May 29, 2006
It's one of those things that once you've had it garden fresh, getting it at the store seems wrong. My folks grew up in the age of "Victory Gardens," so it's a big part of their lives.

The US growers are being pushed out by imports from Mexico and South America, so apparently it can grow in warmer climates.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
The taste of home grown tomatoes is out of this world! The ones available in the supermarkets
taste bland to me.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
La Sirena had some 6 months or so back. I bought them all and had smelly p*ss for a week

Bob K

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"BOB", the question is: How did your PI$$ smell BEFORE you ate the asparagus,and why were you smelling it in the first place???
TOO MUCH information, but "Thanks For Sharing"
How does your "POOP" smell?
Your feet, belly button, breath????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
"Salsa" is another one!

Ahhh.....Let me guess.
Figs ?
[video=youtube;3yv6uWZjxro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3yv6uWZjxro[/video]